Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rear number (licence) plate lights
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thesey914
Hello, can anyone tell me the type of screw required to mount the (early) lights? Self tapper or is it a bolt?
thanks in advance
Cap'n Krusty
They're small sheet metal screws. The Cap'n
thesey914
Are they found anywhere else on a 914
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(thesey914 @ Jan 16 2008, 02:59 PM) *

Are they found anywhere else on a 914

Boy...Maybe, but I can't think of one off hand.
Larry.Hubby
They're 3.5x16mm sheet metal screws. Screws of the same description are used to hold down the aluminum strips that secure the carpet on the sills (the heads on these may be a slightly different shape, but the diameter and pitch are the same), and shorter ones (9.5mm) are used to hold on the padding on the A-pillar and above the windshield. 3.5mm metric sheet metal screws are almost the same size as the US #6 screws, and I've found that #6x3/4" screws you can get at any hardware store work just as well as the correct metric parts.

Larry
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Larry Hubby @ Jan 16 2008, 11:30 PM) *

They're 3.5x16mm sheet metal screws. Screws of the same description are used to hold down the aluminum strips that secure the carpet on the sills (the heads on these may be a slightly different shape, but the diameter and pitch are the same), and shorter ones (9.5mm) are used to hold on the padding on the A-pillar and above the windshield. 3.5mm metric sheet metal screws are almost the same size as the US #6 screws, and I've found that #6x3/4" screws you can get at any hardware store work just as well as the correct metric parts.

Larry

Larry, aren't those more of a flat head (slightly rounded counter sunk) and the one's for the LPL are panheads...Right?
TINCAN914
Sorry for the high jack, but I was trying to figure mine out several months ago. Can anyone tell me where the wires from the ligth hooks up to? If I remember correctly I ran them to the running lights but I was burning fuses.
Dave_Darling
Tincan, look carefully at the light. You'll see that one of the lugs for the wires has some metal that also goes to one of the mounting screw holes. That's the lug you use for the ground (brown) wire. The other gets the power (grey?) wire.

--DD
TINCAN914
Thanks Dave, but where do I get the power from? I thought off the running lights directly from the rear tail lights?
So.Cal.914
There are wires for those lights in the loom that run across the back, from drivers side to pass side of the trunk.
Dave_Darling
Yup, they're there. They hook into the wires that light up the engine compartment light, which in turn hooks into the wires that power the center console instrument lights (on a 74+ car at least).

--DD
Larry.Hubby
Paul,

Yes, you're right. The LPL screws are what Porsche calls "lens head", which is similar to our pan head, while the carpet strip and trim-securing screws are oval headed, which is like a flathead but with a slightly convex top.

Larry
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.