Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: need help identifing these 2.0 cylinders
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
orange914
heres info. i have:

1 94mm 2.0 (havent mic.ed yet but reportedly)
2 supposed to have had original pistons
3 cross hatch marks still visible but outside appears to have lots of use/oil build up
4 no mahle markings just #'s

thanks, mike

heres the # 8866911op
Click to view attachment
Dave_Darling
IIRC, OEM pistons would have the diameter stamped on them (something like "93.95"), plus an arrow that should point toward the flywheel. Those would be on the crown; I do not recall numbers on the inside. But if there were, I would bet on them being VW part numbers and therefore starting with "039" for the 2.0 parts.

--DD
orange914
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 16 2008, 10:07 PM) *

IIRC, OEM pistons would have the diameter stamped on them (something like "93.95"), plus an arrow that should point toward the flywheel. Those would be on the crown; I do not recall numbers on the inside. But if there were, I would bet on them being VW part numbers and therefore starting with "039" for the 2.0 parts.

--DD

do all vw o.e.m. have mahle on them somewhere?

mike
rhodyguy
i don't think this would be definative but i've noted distinct difs in the castings with oem vs am.

1. far superior castings. small parting (where the 2 halves of the mold meet) lines with very little flash.

2. clean castings. few if any, pits or pockets from sand and debris left behind in the mold during the casting process.

3. a greater number of cooling fins and the fins seem to be thinner with a slight taper to the outside edge. the cyls on the onion were terrible castings. it didn't take a trained eye to note the quality between them and a set of oems.

k
Dave_Darling
Sorry, Mike, but the pic didn't come up for me last night when I answered. I didn't realize you were talking cylinders (as is probably obvious from my reply).

Not sure on the cylinders; sorry!

I believe that Kolbenschmitt also was an OEM, so not all originals would have Mahle logos on them.

--DD
orange914
[quote name='rhodyguy' date='Jan 17 2008, 06:11 AM' post='987464']
i don't think this would be definative but i've noted distinct difs in the castings with oem vs am. [/quote ]

what kind of differences?

1. far superior castings. small parting (where the 2 halves of the mold meet) lines with very little flash. [/quote]

i'll look

2. clean castings. few if any, pits or pockets from sand and debris left behind in the mold during the casting process.[/quote]

i'll look for casting blems

3. a greater number of cooling fins and the fins seem to be thinner with a slight taper to the outside edge. the cyls on the onion were terrible castings. it didn't take a trained eye to note the quality between them and a set of oems.

k
[/quote]

do you have a set of o.e. to count how many fins? i do know that the person i bought these from said they had more fins than his 1.8. could be the 1.8 are aftermarket or ??

i guess my biggest question is... does anyone know if o.e.m. cylinders ever were blank (no mahle markings)

mike
orange914
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 17 2008, 08:08 AM) *

Sorry, Mike, but the pic didn't come up for me last night when I answered. I didn't realize you were talking cylinders (as is probably obvious from my reply).

Not sure on the cylinders; sorry!

I believe that Kolbenschmitt also was an OEM, so not all originals would have Mahle logos on them.

--DD

thanks, are there any kolbenschmitt markings?

mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.