Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT- How do you seperate plaster from brick?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
alpha434
What's the easiest way to get it off? Sandblasting? Or just chipping?

I tried the latter, and its taking fooooorrrrreeeeeevvvvvveeeeerrrrrrr.

Ugh!

headbang.gif

laugh.gif
Also, Jon Bovey. Bon Jovey. I hate being dyslexic.
TeenerTim
QUOTE(alpha434 @ Jan 17 2008, 02:11 PM) *

What's the easiest way to get it off? Sandblasting? Or just chipping?

I tried the latter, and its taking fooooorrrrreeeeeevvvvvveeeeerrrrrrr.

Ugh!

headbang.gif

laugh.gif
Also, Jon Bovey. Bon Jovey. I hate being dyslexic.

Try using a pressure washer with a very aggressive nozzle. I've used them to remove dried concrete spatter after a messy pour. You'll probably have to break the surface with a hammer so the water can get under it.
alpha434
Oh yeah. I might mention that it's indoors.

A pressure washer might get real interesting real fast.
SirAndy
hammer and chissel ...

takes a while, but works well ... i've done many, many, many walls that way ...
smash.gif Andy
messix
maybe a air hammer with a small pin scaler on it
alpha434
Troy, I like it. I may try that.

Andy, it's nice to know that I'm not an idiot for trying it that way!
messix
i'm not sure what is available, be carefull you could damage the brick. maybe work at an angle to reduce damage.

is this actual plaster or mortar? how thick?
alpha434
Horsehair plaster. Vintage 1928.

About .625 thick.
messix
CRAP!

good luck! glad it's you and not me!
alpha434
I'm just glad it's not asbestos based.

You should see the PPE I wear when I'm tearing into the crap.

I go in there with a full chemical respirator. And wearing a tyvek chemical protection suit. And goggles.

I came out after knocking a wall down, and heard a knock on the door. It was the neighbors, coming to welcome me to the neighborhood.

They looked at me a little funny when I opened the door, ready for nuclear winter.
messix
QUOTE(alpha434 @ Jan 17 2008, 12:21 PM) *

I'm just glad it's not asbestos based.

You should see the PPE I wear when I'm tearing into the crap.

I go in there with a full chemical respirator. And wearing a tyvek chemical protection suit. And goggles.

I came out after knocking a wall down, and heard a knock on the door. It was the neighbors, coming to welcome me to the neighborhood.

They looked at me a little funny when I opened the door, ready for nuclear winter.

if it were asbestos you wouldn't be doing it! big fines!

your a good kid alphy, it's great to see you way ahead of kids your generation.
So.Cal.914
You could try some Lime-a-way to soften it up, I don't think I would try

muriatic acid if you don't know what clay the bricks are made of. Lots of

lime in plaster.
sww914
You could try throwing cold water on them

Oh, wait, that only works on dogs and people.
PeeGreen 914
Hey dislexic boy biggrin.gif Yes, I've heard that a few times in my life. The air hammer thing is most likely the best bet. I remember doing this for my dad when I was sixteen, and I just used on of the hammers that has a blade looking thing on it. Hit the brick just right with the blade and it comes right off...kinda.

Good luck
alpha434
I may try the lime-away.

I was thinking about using the cold water trick when I was meeting my neighbors.
alpha434
I've been using a masonry hammer.

It's just time consuming. And I can't beat it too hard. It's an outside wall.

Ugghhh. Building techniques were so fiddle-fuched 75 years ago.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(alpha434 @ Jan 17 2008, 02:20 PM) *

I may try the lime-away.

I was thinking about using the cold water trick when I was meeting my neighbors.

Are they good looking? Or is the cold water for throwing on them?

They built things very well for what they had really. That's why it is such a pain biggrin.gif
rhodyguy
the wider faced chisel the better. the paster should come off in bigger pieces. they're pretty cheap at most home centers. will the masonry be exposed? if so walnut shells will clean it nicely and provide a uniform appearance. hopefully you won't have to retuck the mortar joints. that will make paster removal seem like a walk in the park.

rick 918-S
What are you trying to accomplish? Are you trying to have an exposed brick finish when your done or are you planning to build a framed, insulated wall...or?
alpha434
May go and buy a wider chisel.

Heard about the walnut shells.

The masonry may be exposed. I haven't decided yet.

Tearing into this wall, and realizing that it's plaster on brick was slightly unanticipated. I've got a really interesting design concept for the house, similar to ice hotels in that the living quarters will be temperature controlled separate from the rest of the house.

This may throw a kink in the works because it's a bedroom, and I plan on insulating the hell out of 'em. But it may be ok because it's going to be the guest bedroom and 1) if it's too comfy, I may not be able to get rid of people. and 2) I won't have guests over too frequently, so it still might be cost effective to heat, if the room is only in heavy use 2-5% of the year.
greybeard50
I have to ask why you are even contemplating removal? Certainly, products exist to patch up what's there. After all it's been there 80 years already. If it's a wash to patch or remove, then consider ripping some thin studs & using regular sheetrock to simply cover it up (or thick studs & give yourself an insulate space). If it's that old time look of a brick wall you are after, then the others have about covered the waterfront with excellent advice. Bigger hammer, more workers. Ah, to be young again...
alpha434
Jeeze. Even lurkers are coming out of the woodwork to give me advice!

Haha.

Having exposed brick is kinda desirable in Denver. I like the way it looks. But not the way it insulates.

For now, I'll clean it up, since the only other project I'm on is wiring the garage, and it's being used as a paint booth at the moment.

So... My shopping list should look like this....

1) Needle scaler
2) Lime-away
3) Several of the neighborhood children.
and 4) Surgical masks for 3)

Oh. And a really wide chisel.

KELTY360
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
scotty b
Break out chunks in random spots and go for the late 50's Havanna look. Maybe an old chevy sitting in the corner. Some hootchie mammas running around dressed like Carmen Miranda, empty booze botles strewn about.
Bleyseng
I have rented small brick chipping electric hammer witha 3" blade to chip off plaster off bricks before. Works like a charm and easy. I rented it from Hertz Rentals..
alpha434
I had a plumber over last night to replace the shower valve in the upstairs shower.

I asked his advice, and he said to chip off the paint and use a "mason's brick."

15 minutes later, I was at home depot and picked up a rub brick (same concept) It's basicly a large, flat, very low grit grind stone for refacing bricks. I haven't had a chance to try it yet. But I'm about to suit up.
alpha434
The rub brick works good- except you have to chip away most of the plaster before it'll work. Otherwise, the plaster loads it up and it stops cutting.

And it leaves one hell of a finish on the bricks. They look brand new.
Twise
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jan 17 2008, 05:52 PM) *

Break out chunks in random spots and go for the late 50's Havanna look. Maybe an old chevy sitting in the corner. Some hootchie mammas running around dressed like Carmen Miranda, empty booze botles strewn about.

Finally someone who shares my tates in decorating - Bravo...

The more hoochie's the better is my rule...
alpha434
I don't know about the Carmen Miranda thing. Brazil is not my country of choice for hoochies.

And old chevies arn't my car of choice for sitting in the corner.

And I don't drink.

But otherwise, you've pretty much got it down pat.

So I have two questions now...

How do I go about hiring a mexican for labor? Seriously.

And what should I use to seal the brick once it's clean?
greybeard50
When you have the technique down, I have several friends who will hire you to do the same to their 1860-1890 brick homes here around north central Indiana. Beautiful homes...muy impractical!
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(alpha434 @ Jan 18 2008, 09:57 AM) *

I don't know about the Carmen Miranda thing. Brazil is not my country of choice for hoochies.

And I don't drink.

I am sure there is a corner somewhere around you where they stand, pull up

raise one finger(unless you want more), let him know how much you will pay. If

he agrees, drive home. You will need to take him back when your done.

I used Thompsom's water seal on exterior brick and block. They also make a water based 'flat finish' interior version.

Katmanken
Now ya know why old brick costs more than new brick...

Ya gotta remove the plaster and cement....

Ken
alpha434
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Jan 18 2008, 02:14 PM) *

QUOTE(alpha434 @ Jan 18 2008, 09:57 AM) *

And I don't drink.

I am sure there is a corner somewhere around you where they stand, pull up

raise one finger(unless you want more), let him know how much you will pay. If

he agrees, drive home. You will need to take him back when your done.

I used Thompsom's water seal on exterior brick and block. They also make a water based 'flat finish' interior version.

Wow. That's undeniably similar to hiring a hooker.

aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.