Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.7/6 purchase feedback
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
racerx9146
Hello All

Looking for feedback on a 2.7 6 I am considering purchasing.

I have been on the slow hunt for a larger motor for my 914-6. I am currently running the original 2.0/6 engine. I appreciate all the advantages of modern fuel injection but for me the retro feel/sound is important so Webers are what I want to run. I also need to stay within budget by re-using as many components as possible. I will be using my stock heat exchangers, tin, webers. The 2.7 will let me use my flywheel I believe. Looking for 180HP, I dont mind peaky motors.

My local independant Porsche repair guy has a customers 77 2.7 motor on a stand. The customer upgraded to a 3.0 after dealing with too many issues. The customer wants 3k for it.

History

Was rebuilt by another shop 10K miles ago. receipts are available (he has to look for them)
New P/C's dont know what type/brand
New Carrera tensioners
New Alternator
Line bored and case stud inserts used
Head redone

The Bad

Leaks oil (a lot). Nice shiny coat underneath. Shop owner thinks it need to be disassembled and reasealed at the minimum

Owner had a bad alt, light was on, ignored light then threw a fan belt, was driven hot for a while. It was driven into the shop still running well. Smokes. Not sure if its burning oil inside or outside smile.gif

So my impression is that the motor needs to be checked out entirely. (disassembly) I have experience with type 4 rebuilds but my 1st 6 rebuild. I have been reading the Dempsey book nightly. I am aware of the potential costs. The shop the motor is will help me with tools/checking tolerances.

Is 3K fair for this motor with its baggage or do I stroll down to my local Porsche dismantler and spend 5K plus for a 3.0 with unknown history and buy a custom flywheel/clutch setup for my 901?

thanks for thoughful responses.

John Daron

degreeoff
I'd treat it as a core unless they can do a positive PPI with good #'s and no case disassembly If it needs to be opened up thats alot of $$$ unless you do it yourself. Now depending on what was done to the heads and what pistons and cams are int here well it could be worth somthin....I would offer him $1500 as a core motor +(-) NO MORE THAN $2500 as a good longblock withh oil leaks fixed and good #'s

My $.02
ConeDodger
John,

See what Jeff Hines can do for you. He had the parts for my 2.7 sitting on the shelf from what I hear and may have what you need as well if you want to build it yourself. Mine is pretty solid running motor and exactly what you are talking about doing. Unless of course you get a bit more wild with cams and compression.
Root_Werks
Sounds like a core motor to me. All those "new" parts could have been really damaged while running w/o the cooling fan.

$1000-1500 in the unknown state.
woobn8r
QUOTE(degreeoff @ Jan 17 2008, 04:28 PM) *

I'd treat it as a core unless they can do a positive PPI with good #'s and no case disassembly If it needs to be opened up thats alot of $$$ unless you do it yourself. Now depending on what was done to the heads and what pistons and cams are int here well it could be worth somthin....I would offer him $1500 as a core motor +(-) NO MORE THAN $2500 as a good longblock withh oil leaks fixed and good #'s

agree.gif It's a core motor...$1500-$1800 (tops) including ignition and induction.
If you open it up, you are buying parts.
kart54
There is a 2.7 on ebay right now being advertised for $1500.00 that appears to be in better condition than the one you are talking about and so far there are no takers at that price.
If you want to see it search with "porsche 914 engine" and it should show up. It's been on there at least twice now with no bids.
Kart54
racerx9146
thanks for all the replies. I think everybodies logic is sound. Gonna pass on this one.

The new p/c's and tensioners had me kinda excited but the risk factor for the damage/money involved is just too high for this particular engine.

Bummer, its always nice to find something close to home that you dont have to ship!

John Daron
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.