Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: looking at a new broom for the missus
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
woobn8r
So,

She wants a small FWD grocery getter that's good on gas, fun to drive, impervious to weather (heated seats).... idea.gif

I won't let her get Japanese (been there done that) barf.gif

What do you think? confused24.gif
greybeard50
Saab, Volvo, VW, all come to mind.
dlo914
New VW Rabbit TDI
PeeGreen 914
Don't know why you would rag on Jap cars. I'm getting tired of my German cars as daily drivers. They are 3 times the cost to repair and seem to have things go wrong more often. Wow, I thought I would never say that. I have been thinking about selling my 5-series and getting a TL or RL.

For fun factor the Mini IS the way to go. You really won't find a car that is better looking while being fun to drive for an everyday SAFE car to drive.

SAAB and Volvo are boring in my opinion. VW has some fun cars, but I would rather have a mini.
Cap'n Krusty
My BIL has a supercharged Mini, and our A6Quattro wagon gets just a little less fuel mileage (at 22, highway). I wouldn't expect much. That's why my wife drives the 2002 TDi now. 43-45, mixed, and it's, in her words, "zippy". As for me, I wish it had sport seats (OE, made by Recaro), but it's still not too bad on my poor old back. The A6 has GREAT seats. The Cap'n
Allan
My wife and I looked at Mini's a couple of weeks ago.

As soon as we found out they have Peugoet motors we walked out...
okieflyr
They are fun cars, but check out the forums for them and get a good understanding of the issues they have. Go into it smart and have fun!

QUOTE(woobn8r @ Jan 17 2008, 05:19 PM) *

So,

She wants a small FWD grocery getter that's good on gas, fun to drive, impervious to weather (heated seats).... idea.gif

I won't let her get Japanese (been there done that) barf.gif

What do you think? confused24.gif

Cap'n Krusty
I certainly wouldn't shy away for that reason. It's a joint venture, with BMW doing most of the engineering. Besides, Peugeot builds some really good cars and engines. The lack of passenger and cargo space is what would steer me away. The real Mini, the old one, is a foot narrower, 2 feet shorter, and weighs almost half as much as the new one, and has more rear seat legroom and luggage space.

The Cap'n

scotty b
Peugot's only real downfall in the states was due to poor customer service. Parts were and still are hard to find. I know of 2 personally here in town with over 200,000 on them. One was just junked last year, drivetrain was still good but the owner had hit it on damn near evey panel and most of the doors wouldn't open fully due to the body damage.
Cap'n Krusty
Otto raced a 505 Gasoline Turbo in showroom stock for a couple of seasons. I actually wrenched on it for a bit. Pretty fast, at least in his hands. Problem was, the CRXs were pretty fast, too, and a LOT lighter.

The Cap'n
mudfoot76
My MINI Cooper S (2005) has been an absolute blast to own. I've even taken it to the track a few times while my 914 is out of commission. It is great for commuting, though I have found the gas mileage estimates to be a bit optimistic. No, you don't want to have passengers in the back seat for more than 15 minutes, but how often are you needing to transport more than yourself and one passenger?

As far as cargo - with the seats folded down you can put an amazing amount of stuff in there. Anything I would buy that won't fit would have to be delivered on a truck anyway (sofa, mattress, etc.)

I am not familiar with the R56 motors. I've driven one and it seems nice enough. It feels more refined than mine (an R53 S). The new turbos are supposed to be much more frugal with gasoline.

She'll just need to drive a few and get a feel. Some people like the older supercharged cars (this is what I have) better than the new turbos. I personally don't like the new styling. It strikes me like the visual differences between a 3.2L 911 and when the first 964s were released.
woobn8r
Anything diesel is out...my wife's commute is so short the car hardly warms up....in a diesel that spells soot that plugs up the engine.

I wouldn't touch a SAAB, but I liked the V40T5 Volvo very much...my wife didn't.

It's not that Jap cars aren't good...they are, they just seem...well,...um...cheap. My last car (for work) was a loaded Accord...okay, but not a thriller. I raced civics and golfs, (and we also had street civics and golfs) but again in the low end of the model range these cars lack ammenities the Mini has. The Audi's are nice ,but again seem to need alot of maintainance.

The car only has to take my wife to work, and have room for two kids as well as get decent gas mileage (as compared to my E30 325 iX touring....very piggish with the fuel). The Mini Cooper S has enough room and the bonus of being fun to drive plus they seem to have good resale....BTW it's a 2003 MCS with 60,000kms for about $ 16,000 that we are considering.

Thanks for your thoughts...
Cap'n Krusty
More expensive, but the new Volvo C30 is HOT!

BTW, the newer diesels, like our TDi, don't soot up like the old ones, but you need to get ALL cars up to operating temperature pretty frequently, in order to burn off the moisture in the oil. Being in Canada, though, you probably have different warmup issues this time of year ............ The Cap'n
grantsfo
300 HP BMW 1 Series

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Veh...pe/default.aspx
rick 918-S
I was really keen on getting a MC when they were first intoduced. I was invited to a pre-showing of the car. I stood in line and waited my turn to sit in and check out the car. When I finally had a chance to get in and closed the door.... thud! I don't know how BMW does it but their cars have a sound. All their cars have the same sound when you close the doors. Solid. The new Mini has nothing to do with the old british bread box and everything to do with BMW.

I ended up chickening out on purchasing a new car but it had nothing to do with the car and everything to do with me. I've just never been able to pull that trigger. I'm seriously thinking about getting a pre-owned one though... idea.gif

My new passion is the new 1 series! wub.gif
Nick
We had a mini cooper s for 3 years and 30K+ miles maybe even 40K I forget. It was fine for the two of us on long trips and around town driving. Mileage wasn't great, but it was fun to drive. My biggest annoyance with teh car was excessive tire noise. Probably because it comes with runflats. Car was killed when T boned by a Ford Taurus at 45 mph. The car was hit sqare on the passenger door and punted 50 feet down the road from the impact. passenger I was amazed at how well the car held up. The car was totaled, but their was no intrusion into the passenger area of the car and all the doors still worked. Wife walked away with only some aches and missing her glasses and shoes. Flew off during the impact. The ford on the other hand looked like it hit a wall. None of the four doors opened the a pillars bent and popped out the windshield the roof bent Fire department had to pry the drivers door open to get the guy out. It was a mess.

Nick
Joe Ricard
Mazda 3 or 3 speed.

Had a Mini Cooper S. Did not like it.

RX-8 is my wifes Broom and she like it so much she won't get rid of it.
not even if I bought her an Elise.
blitZ
The Audi A3 looks like a fun grocery getter.
greybeard50
The new VW GTI deserves a look. Has many pluses to the Mini-C, is a bit cheaper, & has what looks to be plenty of power.
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Jan 18 2008, 03:53 AM) *

Mazda 3 or 3 speed.

Had a Mini Cooper S. Did not like it.

RX-8 is my wifes Broom and she like it so much she won't get rid of it.
not even if I bought her an Elise.

I'll second the Mazda3... bought one for the wife, and she named it "Schumacher" because it likes to go fast.

Same chassis as the Volvo S40/C70 and the Euro Focus.

Rumor mill says the 3 will be a clean sheet redesign for 2009.

I'm trying to get the wife let me Auto-X the 3 this year.
jd74914
. . . cough . . . Ford Focus ST . . . cough . . . cough . . .
swl
Any kids? If none then get her a smart fortwo pulse cabriolet. With the gas savings you could afford a Raby engine for the teener!
flippa
I know that it is jap, and more of a truck, but.....

I bought the wife a Honda CRV last year. She did the research & had to have it. I was not too crazy about it, but after owning it for almost a year, I have to say that I love it. We bought the standard shift & had the dealership put leather & heated seats in it (Honda does not offer the stick with leather!!!!).

It's all wheel drive, has lots of room, fairly quick (for a mini SUV) & good on gas at @ 22mpg. It also does great in the snow & light off roading. I have beat the heck out of it & have yet to get it stuck in the mud or snow.
Rand
I don't get the anti-Jap thing. When it comes to "small, reliable, economical" etc., Japan does it better than most countries overall. What was your pukey experience?
Twise
My buddy just got a Mazda 3 - Leather interior - 5 door - that car is solid and fun to drive. Very good on gas and it was very inexpensive...
Twise
Last year we down sized the wife from a Tahoe to an Acadia - I love that car. It is very nice, but a bit more donero than the Mazda.
woobn8r
I just bought the 2003 Mini Cooper S today.....
rick 918-S
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
woobn8r
Sorry Rick, I cant resize pics....and therefore can't post 'em.

But we took delivery of the MCS the other day....

What an absolute BLAST to drive! It is quiet and smooth, there's no rust, I can drive it in the rain or snow....and popular MINI culture encourages modification (although ours is stock). It cost me under $30 to fill the tank.

My wife took it for groceries and there was plenty of room in the boot....My kids (11 & 7) like the car although my 7 yr old needs a booster to see out the back window....
I don't know why I didn't buy one of these sooner.
iamchappy
No one mentioned the Bug, my wife inquired about them the other night, she saw the smart car and i convinced her she needed a back seat for the dog. I like the Mini but she then mentioned the Bug, are they alright or do they suffer dreaded German electrical problems. Even new ones fully loaded there pretty cheap.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.