Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WANTED: One person from each state to
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GWN7
Here's a copy of the letter I sent to the Manitoba DMV to find out how many 914's are left.

What is needed is one person from each state to copy the letter (personalise it) and address it to your DMV (from the links provided) and report back what they say.

If your in, post which state your going to do. We don't want multiple letters going to each DMV.

OHIO is done and I've sent letters to every Province in Canada

http://www.dmvnv.com/50_state_dmv_list.html

To:

YOUR DMV ADDRESS FROM THE LINKS PROVIDED

Subject: Current and Former Porsche model 914 registrations

Sir,

I belong to a Porsche 914 club and one of our members is writing a paper for college and part of it entails on how many of these cars survive. If possible could you search the (YOUR STATE) data for current numbers of the Porsche 914 that are registered (or have been registered in the past couple years).

We are not looking for any information on who owns these cars or where they are located. Just the numbers of cars that are still around and the serial numbers of these car in your data base. The serial numbers would help to determine if the non current cars are currently registered in another local by them being sold.

The years and models we are interested in are the Porsche 914 manufactured from 1969 to 1976. Of these cars there were three models, a six cylinder and a four cylinder . The following shows the factory chassis numbers:

914 CHASSIS NUMBERS Year Model Chassis numbers
1970 914/4 4702900001 – 4702913312
1970 914/6 9140430001 – 9140432668
1971 914/4 4712900001 – 4712916231
1971 914/6 9141430001 – 9141430443
1972 914/4 4722900001 – 4722921580
1972 914/6 9142430001 – 9142430240
1972 916 9142330011 – 9142330020
1973 914/4 4732900001 – 4732927660
1974 914/4 4742900001 – 4742921370
1975 914/4 4752900001 – 4752911368
1976 914/4 4762900001 – 4762904075

Your help in this matter would be appreciated .

Yours truly;

YOUR NAME & ADDRESS
Ferg
I'll take Colorado... I have a "in" at the DMV

Ferg beerchug.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Jan 17 2008, 02:53 PM) *

and one of our members is writing a paper for collage and part of it entails on how many of these cars survive.

i'm pretty sure you meant "college" and not "collage" ...
biggrin.gif Andy

College

Collage

SirAndy
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Jan 17 2008, 02:53 PM) *

Of these cars there were three models, a six cylinder and a four cylinder.

three models. a six cylinder and a four cylinder and ??? what's model 3 ???

sorry bruce, don't want to be a dick or anything ... biggrin.gif
beerchug.gif Andy
sww914
He lists the 916 in the VIN collage.
SirAndy
QUOTE(sww914 @ Jan 17 2008, 03:15 PM) *

yes, but his sentence is very much incomplete and you can't expect the guy/gal at the DMV to know the differences between a 914/6 and a 916.

nowhere in the letter does he make mentioning of the 916. to someone who doesn't know our little cars, 916 sure sounds like a completely different model. don't you think ???

just trying to make sure them fine people at the DMV will get this right ...
i shut up now ...
bye1.gif Andy
GWN7
So does this mean your doing CA Andy? smile.gif
sww914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 17 2008, 03:21 PM) *

QUOTE(sww914 @ Jan 17 2008, 03:15 PM) *

yes, but his sentence is very much incomplete and you can't expect the guy/gal at the DMV to know the differences between a 914/6 and a 916.

nowhere in the letter does he make mentioning of the 916. to someone who doesn't know our little cars, 916 sure sounds like a completely different model. don't you think ???

just trying to make sure them fine people at the DMV will get this right ...
i shut up now ...
bye1.gif Andy

agree.gif
It was just a good opportunity to use the word collage. I sound soooo French when I say it!
GWN7
BUMP
biosurfer1
Has anyone actually spent anytime at the DMV?? Andy is right, if the letter isn't perfect (chassis #'s, etc) it will throw them off so much they will probably have to take a personal day to recoup, and cost us money:)

no offense to any DMV'ers around here, just recently had a run in with a certian employee at the roseville branch who makes me question their IQ requirement for applying
Todd Enlund
Oregon has a fairly complex fee listing for pulling reports... I'll try to see what I can come up with. If it's a few bucks, I'll pay it, but if they want to charge a fee for each VIN (which is what it looks like at this point)...
JeffBowlsby
The website for CA DMV indicates that a court order or similar is needed for releasing any type of info like that. They are very protective.
ConeDodger
Any answer coming from California DMV would be first of all, incorrect, and secondly come after your lifetime. If the letter was opened by someone who could read, it would get laughter followed by round filing...

I have never had a single contact with CA DMV that I would describe as competent.

Good luck Bruce...
GWN7
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Jan 18 2008, 10:33 AM) *

Oregon has a fairly complex fee listing for pulling reports... I'll try to see what I can come up with. If it's a few bucks, I'll pay it, but if they want to charge a fee for each VIN (which is what it looks like at this point)...

When I spoke to the guy here he sort of indicated they normaly charged also, but I explained (and at the time it was true) that this was for a person writing a college paper. He asked for my request in writing and then sent the info.

If you send the letter the worst case would be they tell each of us to pound sand. The best case they provide the info.

Old addage if you don't ask you will never know. smile.gif
Rusty
I'll do Alabama... the worst they can do is tell me to pound sand, right? smile.gif

Do I have to use the word "collage"? It sounds so... french. barf.gif
*kennyd*914
Hi Bruce:

If you were to request the 914's in Ontario, you would not have the correct stats. I noticed on my ownership model# it reads 665 and not 914. I'm not sure if this is the norm or the exception.

Ken
1970 Neun vierzehn
I've just finished a lengthy navigation of the phone system at the Kentucky Bureau of Licenses and Titles in Frankfort, Kentucky. Ultimately, I did arrive at the correct phone door of the individual who had the answers to the questions that I was posing.
Unfortunately, the information that I (we) are seeking is not available based on how they (Kentucky) collect data on cars, titles and license plate registrations. I was told that to secure the 914 numbers that I was seeking (at this point only total 914 registrations), I would have to submit a written, formal request which would then be reviewed by their legal department. If after securing their approval, the request would be forwarded to data and information processing to have a program approved and written to extract the data from the bureau files. This information process acquisition is billed at a rate of $80/hr.
Lastly, the friendly (and yes, they really were friendly) folks down in Frankfort advised me that this reguest would involve a "lenghty" period of time.
At this point, dealing with Kentucky sounds like an exercise in headbang.gif

Sorry for the bad news.

Paul
davep
QUOTE(*kennyd*914 @ Jan 19 2008, 05:05 AM) *

I noticed on my ownership model# it reads 665 and not 914. I'm not sure if this is the norm or the exception.

I'd say it is the exception. Where the H did they get that number from?
GWN7
Thanks for trying Paul smile.gif
pin31
Bruce,
I'll try Rhode Island.

Based on previous encounters with the DMV (or any RI State office for that matter) I think we have the proverbial "snowball chance in hell", but what the heck I'll give it a try.

headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif

Tim
GWN7
Thanks Tim,

all it costs is the price of a stamp smile.gif
robby750
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jan 28 2008, 12:59 PM) *

I've just finished a lengthy navigation of the phone system at the Kentucky Bureau of Licenses and Titles in Frankfort, Kentucky. Ultimately, I did arrive at the correct phone door of the individual who had the answers to the questions that I was posing.
Unfortunately, the information that I (we) are seeking is not available based on how they (Kentucky) collect data on cars, titles and license plate registrations. I was told that to secure the 914 numbers that I was seeking (at this point only total 914 registrations), I would have to submit a written, formal request which would then be reviewed by their legal department. If after securing their approval, the request would be forwarded to data and information processing to have a program approved and written to extract the data from the bureau files. This information process acquisition is billed at a rate of $80/hr.
Lastly, the friendly (and yes, they really were friendly) folks down in Frankfort advised me that this reguest would involve a "lenghty" period of time.
At this point, dealing with Kentucky sounds like an exercise in headbang.gif

Sorry for the bad news.

Paul

When I was still with the Lexington Police Dept. about 8 years ago, I went down to Headquarters and asked one of the clerks to run a search for all 914's in our County. It only took a few minutes and she handed me a list of about 6 cars. It's great to have an insider to ask for a favor but Kentucky has 120 different Counties!! huh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.