Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First Bay Area 914 Meet of 2003
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JeffBowlsby
Saturday, January 25,2003

Dear 914 Brothers and Sisters, join us for the first 914 event of 2003. Instead of the regular monthly 914 breakfast this month, meet at West Valley College, Saratoga, CA (corner of Allendale and Fruitvale) at 9:14am. We will leave about 10:00am for a cruise through the nearby hills, vales and twisty roads to end up at the Alpine Inn, 3915 Alpine Road, Portola Valley, CA for lunch. Route maps provided at the meet. The meet site is easily accessed from Highway 85, take the Saratoga exit, turn south towards the hills and then left onto Fruitvale Avenue.

Be sure to have a full tank of gas, lunch money and your cameras…and a 914 car if you have one, or at least the passion for one. 8^)

Contact me if you have any questions. See you there!

Jeff Bowlsby

bowlsby@aol.com
(415) 652-4518 Cell
Brad Roberts
I'm in. I'll make sure Muellers 6 is ready to go by then.

I''ll even make the wifey drive her silver car.

B
Mueller
You think you'll have it ready by then?

Cool, I cannot wait to drive it, then again, maybe I shouldn't, I might change my mind and want to keep it....nah, that never happens with me, LOL
RoadGlue
I'll most likely be there Jeff.

Thanks for putting this together.

Best,
L8Apex
Doh, I'll be at Thunderhill that day for a track day. Gotta get some more practice with the car.
Brad Roberts
From the pics you posted.. you must be taking your HONDA. You had a long way to go on the 914 ha ha..

B
L8Apex
haha! I'm almost there! gonna get the engine on the stand tomorow morning! Hopefully, (knock on wood) everything works out fine and I will have it in by next week. haha.
Jeroen
Needless to say, I won't be there (duh!) biggrin.gif
Still good to see more and more familiar names show up here on the BBS
Have fun the 25th!

Cheers,

Jeroen
rick 918-S
I won't be there either. But some Day. Just keep checking your rear view mirror.
L8Apex
take some good pics for us that can't make it. I wish I could go!...

Long shot, anyone have a truck/trailer I could borrow?! biggrin.gif Just rather get towed to thunderhill than drive. hehe
Mueller
I've got a tandem trailer that you can borrow.....sorry, no dice on the truck...
JeffBowlsby
UPDATE-JAN 25 Bay Area 914 Meet!

Hey Groovy guys and Groovy gals – The weather forecast is clear for this Saturdays first Bay Area 914 meet of the year which will rival last years 914FEST in terms of testing your driving skills, scenery and fun. Its just over 60 miles of mostly curvaceous, up and down, secluded mountain roads, with a couple of stops and straightaways to catch our breath and enjoy the view. Exactly what the 914 does best. It will take us a good two hours for the road trip, so we will leave West Valley College at 9:30am. Meet there no later than 9:14am so you won’t miss out! See the www.roadglue.com site for more details or contact me with any questions.

Be sure your car is in top shape in every respect because it and your driving skills will be as challenged as can be on public roads and a tow truck will be a long ways away. We will end up for lunch at a familiar watering hole to wrap it up, and everyone covers their own lunch cost.

See you there!

Jeff Bowlsby
bowlsby@aol.com
Carl
Jeff,
I think Meredith and I'll be there for the drive but I'll have to see about getting the 14 out of mothballs. I'm guessing we're OK in the 911 if we don't get the *good* car out of storage in time?

Carl
Gint
Hi Carl. Welcome to the board. We need some pics of your car in the Members 914 pictures thread.
JeffBowlsby
Hi Carl, Im ok with the eleben car...but You'll have to take your chances with the bretheren...I cant speak for how they may react with an alien car....

But you are such a nice guy, I am sure you'll charm them into leaving you alone... cool.gif
Brad Roberts
Let Meredith drive...

clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif

We can help you remove the seat cushion at the end of the drive.

B
Carl
Meredith does really well with all the driving skills except the clutch, and she's learning that one. Who knows, after I've had a couple of brews at the end of the run she'll probably be driving home anyway.

Carl
Curvie Roadlover
Think about us mid-westerners while you guys are out driving your teeners with the tops off Saturday. Here's a pic I took this morning just outside the garage where my car is in hibernation. sad.gif
vortrex
wow, nice pic. yeah, talked to my mom today in southeast MI, she said it was going to make it up to 5 today!

(please please let me find a job so I am not forced to go back!) biggrin.gif
olav
Here's a picture at the begining of the event. 914s to infinity and beyond...
olav
Here's another view.
Jeroen
Hey Olav,

got any more pics?
wild stories?

cheers,

Jeroen
olav
Well, there was one mishap during the drive. Unfortunately, Jenny had a little accident during the drive. We were just getting on to hwy 9 coming into a corner that was a little tight and the ground was a little wet too. I was ahead of Jenny and going along when I heard a metal on metal sound. Well, I looked in my rear view mirror I saw Jenny getting up close and personal with the guard rail.

Luckily, no one was hurt and the car can be fixed.

Jenny was a great sport about it, Brad came to the rescue and towed the car to the nearest gas station. After that we headed off to lunch at the designated finish for drive where we met everyone and Jenny drowned her sorrows in a couple of pitchers of beer.

Here are some pictures:
Dave_Darling
Jeroen, just wait.

Jenny (official 914 ex-groupie, now that she has her own 914) has promised to write in and post pictures. She saw the most excitement for the day...

I will DL the photos from my camera probably on Monday (unless I forget) and will post 'em up then.

It was a fun drive. Bernie even let me drive his 75 1.8 around, which was awfully nice of him. There was a lot of oil smoke on the air, and some unburned fuel smell--just the way we like it! biggrin.gif I did see one bicyclist fanning his hand in front of his face as we went by, though. Oh, and the girls (4, I think?) who were walking a dog seemed very impressed by the long train of cars. Great big grins from them. Also from a couple of other people we went by.

--DD

[ EDIT -- ]

Well, Olav posted again while I was writing my reply. Yeah, poor Jenny managed to scrape up her recently-acquired-after-long-waiting 914. sad.gif Bummer. But at least she and Brian were both OK.

Damn.... Now why did you have to use the phrase "tight and wet" in a note about Jenny? rolleyes.gif
olav
Here's a picture of the wheel hanging over and the creek looming ominously below.

The red paint on the side rail was from a motorcyle that hit it and catapulted over into the creek down below hitting a wall and bouncing into the culvert. When the emergency crew got there they couldn't find the driver or the motorcyle because he was "hidden" in the culvert. The Saratoga police that came to assist was telling us all sorts of stories about that corner.
olav
Here's a picture of the front of the car. The side rail scrapped along the side of the car and up across the roll bar. Brian, the passenger, said he was looking at side rail and thinking about what he could use as a floatation device if they landed in the drink.
Jeroen
Ouch! Nice ego-bruizer...
Glad to hear Jenny and Brian are ok

Not the kind of 'wild stories' I was hoping for...

Cheers,

Jeroen
jonwatts
ohmy.gif NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! ohmy.gif

Man that sux. I mean it looks kinda cool and all in the pictures but dealing with the aftermath sux. For those who may not know, I sold her that engine and Brad set it up. We may have to accept partial responsibility if it was an over-abundance of horsepower that caused this. No financial responsability, just moral. blink.gif

I'm sure we can locate some replacement body panels pretty easily (Jason?).

Sorry Jen sad.gif
Jenny
Hi all... Yes, I took the turn proally a bit faster than I should have. I was following Olav. Turns out later I found out he'd just had his suspension upgraded. What a nice little :finger2: Only thing bruised is my ego and my right arm, not too bad. Brian and I are both alive and okay. The car should most definitely be fixable. What'll suck royally is I'm almost certain the body repair will cost more than what I bought the whole damn thing for. Such is life. On a side note, I usually only drive by myself (Brian's only been in my car a handful times) and I just realized that his weight might have thrown me off. I'm definitely not blaming him, but I'm still a bit shook up over it and can't really believe it happened. Many many thanks to Olav and girlfriend (Allison??) and Carl & Meredith. Thankfully they saw and stopped to stay with me. And of course, Brad. I used my damsel in distress card and he came to my rescue. Brian had used his AAA card to call a tow truck, but brad showed up first and we were able to cancel the call to AAA. Brad knows much more about 914's, and he doesn't even show his butt crack. Far more preferable than the tow truck driver, I'm sure.

Again, damage to the car isn't too terrible, we think. What really makes me just want to barf.gif is when I replay the accident in my head and realize just how bad things could have played out. I feel very fortunate. My mom told me this year (year of the horse) was unlucky for horses. She made me wear jade in hopes of warding off the bad luck. I cannot wait for the next chinese year to begin (Feb 1) I'm done with the year of the horse. finger.gif ar15.gif

Seriously, thanks everyone. tongue.gif
Dave Cawdrey
Jenny, whats next year (animal wise) Hopefully better w/ the luck. For me, too wink.gif
Jenny
We start on the year of the goat this saturday. Better (in comparison) than this year has been. You can check your horoscope at http://chinese.astrology.com/year/

Jenny clap56.gif
L8Apex
damn, I missed out on this. I was at Thunderhill spinning out on a 996 turbo's blown coolant lines. I'll make it next time for sure.
Sammy
content removed
Jenny
You have no idea. I can't be more than 10 miles away from where Jeff spun us into a ditch backwards. I think the dirty/ratty T-shirt should return to the Shyu family once again. Randy??

Jen
Dave Cawdrey
I'm a rabbit, looks compatable w/ goats and pigs. Maybe the goat year will be better for both of us beerchug.gif

Thanks Jenny
Bleyseng
Geez, Dave you sound like you live on a farm with all those animals. Haha ...Well, I am a dragon so I can get away with those kinds of comments.

Jenny, that was a close call! Hope the car isn't too badly damaged and glad that you are ok.

Geoff
Gint
Bummer Jen. Sorry to hear about the car. Glad you and Brian are OK though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.