Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Elapsed mileage odometer/counter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
type4org
Has anyone ever taken the elapsed mileage odometer apart and lubricated it? I'm talking about the box buried under the floor mat at the front of the passenger side which counts the miles in order to switch on the EGR and CAT warning lights on '75 and '76 models after 30,000 miles.

I need to get to mine to reset the counter, anyway (both lights are on now, I'm just over 30,000 miles) and am wondering if there's a way to cure it of its noisiness, it sounds scratchy when driving like it's running dry.

Dave_Darling
The easy way to cure it: Bypass it. Get a cable from an earlier 914, and install it directly from the angle drive on the trans to the odometer in the dash. Forget about the lights. Done! smile.gif

--DD
type4org
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 18 2008, 04:33 PM) *

The easy way to cure it: Bypass it. Get a cable from an earlier 914, and install it directly from the angle drive on the trans to the odometer in the dash. Forget about the lights. Done! smile.gif

--DD

I prefer sticking with the original solution, I like things the way they were meant to be

wink.gif
blitZ
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 18 2008, 10:33 AM) *

--DD

I bypassed mine, since I removed my converter and pump. Is that why my odometer does not work? I thought the angle drive from the transmission drove the speedometer?
type4org
QUOTE(blitZ @ Jan 18 2008, 04:43 PM) *

I bypassed mine, since I removed my converter and pump. Is that why my odometer does not work? I thought the angle drive from the transmission drove the speedometer?

The counter does not affect the speedometer. If your speedometer works but your odometer has a problem than there's an issue in the speedometer unit itself.

ejm
Has anyone ever taken the elapsed mileage odometer apart and lubricated it?

Yes. The early VW Rabbits had the same box. Four screws in the corners iirc, I had many of them apart back in the day. Your car must of been produced for California?
type4org
QUOTE(ejm @ Jan 18 2008, 07:37 PM) *

Yes. The early VW Rabbits had the same box. Four screws in the corners iirc, I had many of them apart back in the day. Your car must of been produced for California?

Yes, mine is a CA car, sold by Bob Smith Porsche/Audi in Hollywood. I still have one original license plate frame.

Dave_Darling
QUOTE(blitZ @ Jan 18 2008, 07:43 AM) *

The odometer doesn't work because it's broken. The odo and speedo are driven by the same cable from the angle drive. Odometer repair is covered in one of the "Classic" threads here, and in a Tech Article on gauge repair/refurb over on Pelican.

--DD
70Sixter
The odo drive is stressed when you reset it while car is in motion.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.