Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: 75 VW Westy with MFI?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr Evil
So the attending I am worknig with swears that he had a 75 VW Westy with MFI. He knows what a carb is and says that the injectors did not have any wires going to them. It was a while ago so his memories are not perfect, but now I am wondering if such abeast exists. What say you all?
davep
I've never heard of such a thing. CIS version?
Cap'n Krusty
No. No such thing. The Cap'n
Katmanken
Only in his imagination....

Unless it was a rare prototype nobody cared about....

Ken
Bleyseng
some guys have done the CIS swap including Jake on a bus.....
Factory was Ljet!
Dr Evil
Ya, I thought so. He is interested to find out what ya'll said. An MFI set up would be neat, but too much work for the pay off. CIS is way easier to do.
Jake Raby
CIS ccourtesy of a VW Scirocco and some RAT intervention..

The last time I tuned it was in 2001.. It's 2109cc of MassIVe power good enough to have shredded 3 trannys so far.. I tow cars and trailers @ 80 up hill :-)

IPB Image
Dr Evil
When I get my 74 I intend to pit a CIS in it on a 140hp corvair engine. smile.gif
Bleyseng
Just put a 160hp 2.4 MFI Six in it and not that piece o'crap corvair motor.
scotty b
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jan 19 2008, 09:23 AM) *

Just put a 160hp 2.4 MFI Six in it and not that piece o'crap corvair motor.

SSHHHHhhhh I think Mikes a little annoyed with Porsche 6's right now poke.gif
Dr Evil
Oh sure! Why didnt I think of a porsche 6? Probably because the cost is freaking prohibitive. If I had a spare /6 I would put that in there, but a corvair engine is easy to work on, inexpensive, plentiful and I already have the adapters and an auto tranny that will bolt in.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 19 2008, 12:37 PM) *

Oh sure! Why didnt I think of a porsche 6? Probably because the cost is freaking prohibitive. If I had a spare /6 I would put that in there, but a corvair engine is easy to work on, inexpensive, plentiful and I already have the adapters and an auto tranny that will bolt in.

Hey Mike,
The 6 is already out of your 914.

Throw a V8 into the 914, and put the wussy little 2.7 in a bus. Problem solved!

poke.gif
*hides*

Zach
Jake Raby
Oh sure! Why didnt I think of a porsche 6? Probably because the cost is freaking prohibitive

Thats the best freaking quote I have read all year :-)
degreeoff
depends on the desired result....I found a 2.4 CIS complete for 950 bucks with HE's and a good working CIS.... drop in and go.....(almost) do you want a rebuilt shinny corvair motor...it'll cost you too.
degreeoff
I have to follow myself up by saying...I AM NOT a T-IV hater...I will own another one I am sure...another bus or bug convert.....I have owned 2 buses and my dear 914-4 (still a fast lil girl with a measly 125 hp....)
Dr Evil
Parts are WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY cheaper and just as available. Plus, I get a 2.7 140hp motor at the end smile.gif Also, I dont have to fabricate anything and I dont need an oil tank.
alpha434
Cost prohibitive?

You haven't submerged yourself deep enough into the community. There's always someone out there with the parts you need, and he's willing to trade.

I get all my six parts from this guy who lives about 75 miles outside of Denver. He's got more 914s in his private junk yard than the Colorado group has all together.
Dr Evil
Wow, I am Soo impressed. This helps how?
alpha434
The idea that I want to "impress" upon you is that the parts are out there, and they can often be had for cheap or free. If you haven't spent anytime looking for your own "weird guy with a private junkyard outside of town" then maybe you should. May save you some time in the long run. And some headache. And finding your own contact will help you immensely in future projects.
Dr Evil
Genius! Why didnt I think of that? I guess I should submerge myself deeper into the community. dry.gif
Twystd1
Chris..................

Your doing it again.

Clayton
scotty b
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 19 2008, 09:01 PM) *

Genius! Why didnt I think of that? I guess I should submerge myself deeper into the community. dry.gif

Yeah Mike you need to go out and find yourself some old guy with a collection of vintage parts that he has no idea what they are werth or what to do with them. Geez what the hell is wrong with you? Listen to Chris, he is trying to pass on his life experiences to ya. You might even learn how to make your very own set of Ti P&C for that 2.4/7
Bleyseng
ya have to swap ina new cam in that corvair motor as they do spin backwards...wonder how much fun and cheap that is?

There are a few already done and it works but its still not cheap!

The cheapest/nicest engine combo is the Raby CamperSpecial...I have rebuilt mine to that config and its sweet! 90+hp, Ljet and 25mpg on trips!

Wonder what a corvair six would average?
Dr Evil
Jeff,
Thats speculation. A reverse cam and dizzy gear is about $225-250. BUT, as I have previously stated, I am bolting the engine to a corvair auto tranny so I will not need this expense. I will be getting a different cam to increase low end. I find a lot of people speculating at the inadequacies of the corvair power plant without having any factual evidence.....sounds familiar to how our little TIV suffer the same slings and arrows, no?
The corvair is a 6cyl TIV practically. All the adapters and the tranny cost me $300. So far not an enormous expense.
Jake Raby
The Corvair is the only aircooled engine I don't work with... Nothing on the engine makes sense.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jan 20 2008, 01:54 PM) *

The Corvair is the only aircooled engine I don't work with... Nothing on the engine makes sense.

So, the engine is bad because of why? I have built one before and it was very simple and made sense to me. It has the same basic design concepts as the VW engines so I am perplexed at the negativity garnered here.
Bleyseng
Corvair sixes were designed with Porsche's help...

I worked on them in the late sixtys and early 70's...a friends dad had about 20 of them including some turbo model covertables..fun car.

I prefer German.. chair.gif
Dr Evil
My contention with you was on the price of rebuild. You are touting the Raby kit, which I have no doubt is a fine kit, but is over $3500 and you still have to assemble it. The cost of rebuilding the corvair engine is waaayyy below this.
tdgray
I have to agree with the Doc... while I am not a big engine builder (done it a few times) I do not see why the hostility towards the 'vair engine.

Was actually a good car and the motor was very reliable.
type11969
I think somebody still needs to find their Westy first

shades.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(type11969 @ Jan 21 2008, 10:12 AM) *

shades.gif

Damn you!

Wanna sell me yours so you can move? idea.gif
sean_v8_914
Mike has done his corvair homework, I would not talk smak unless you were a corvair guru

Hey Mike: could you run a stock corvair rotation and just flip the R&P?
type11969
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 21 2008, 09:52 AM) *

QUOTE(type11969 @ Jan 21 2008, 10:12 AM) *

shades.gif

Damn you!

Wanna sell me yours so you can move? idea.gif

What would I use for a moving van? My Beetle?

Want to buy a ripped apart 914? There is no (longer any) rust in the pass side long. No guarantees about the rest of the car.
ptravnic
Evil,

Just take out more student loans... dry.gif

Maybe I'm biased b/c I just picked up my check from uncle sam...

-pt
Dr Evil
You can just flip the diff if you wanted.

Getting back to my original question, I figured it out this AM. He had a 75, what he thought was MFI was the air injection system.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.