Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Porsche Boxster
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Andyrew
Well its been way to long since i've driven or even thought about my 914, so i've come to the realization that I need something a little more roadworthy. (I am just too busy to drive my car to events whenever I want to have fun..)
I've been considering finishing up the 914, selling it, and getting a Boxster for fun times instead. I'd really like to be able to drive it every day and rely on it as a second car, not a track ready race/street car as the 914 is.

Im considering a 2.7 Boxster, 00, 01. I would love to have an S though, the extra power and handling would be nice. Does anyone own any? Anyone modify them? What should I look out for? What about driving impressions? Need more HP? How easy is it to toss it around? Powerslide? I will most likely use it as my racer/ autoxer, so it will see slicks and some modifications, but will remain relatively stock (No v8 swaps here.... biggrin.gif, although a 3.6....).

Anyways, what are your thoughts? I guess driving around my Audi for the past almost year has changed my priority's..

One last thing, will my 5'1" girlfriend(of 2.5years..) be able to drive it? I want her to be able to autox with me, and she cant drive the 914 with the way its setup..

I appreciate your help,
Sorry I havent been around lately I have a world of excuses, but primarily its been a lack of interest in my 914. sad.gif
IPB Image
sean_v8_914
Boxters are sweet. although I do not own one, I have driven many while instructing at PCA events. the CDI likes to put me in with them since I am used to teh mid engine characteristics. buy the newest one you can afford. I would recommend not buying the small engined early car. the bump in displacement made a big difference in usable low end torque although teh early cars are still fun to dive. the boxter is more forgiving at the limits than a 914 or 911. they are easy to drive and make an agile AX car that is very civilized on long trips or even in town...unlike a well prepped AX 914
Gustl
I don't own one - and didn't ever do so

but I drove all kind of them, 986 & 987, standard and S, Tiptronic and normal shifter

as for my taste, the best choice would be the 987 S with normal shifter ... I know, that's a very pricy choice rolleyes.gif

with PSM "on" it's absolutely drivable for everyone, no problem at all - even if you just got your driving license - so, your girl friend won't have any problem
with PSM "off" it might get a little tricky, but very very late ...

bye1.gif Gustl
IronHillRestorations
I've got a 00' standard with the Tiptronic that I got in Aug of 00' with 3600 miles on it (barely used), and I absolutely love the car. The more I live with it the more 914'ish it seems. If I take it to one of those high pressure car washes it will actually drip just a little water where most 914's leak!

My wife is also 5'1" and has no problem getting a good seating position.

So far (now with just under 35k miles) no problems except for eating tires, which is due to driving habits.

My car has the sport package with the twist 17"s, leather power & heated seats, 6 CD changer, and I've added the factory trip computer and programable wiper delay. I've gotten up to 30 MPG, but it's hard to drive the car like Grampa, it wants to boogie!

I love the Tip. I know some guys masculinity is threatened by an automatic, but after riding in a Tip 996 with a Porsche factory test driver at the wheel, at the factory test track, I was sold on the Tip. This guy was the fastest of four different drivers I rode with, and he just hammered the crap out of the car. He said he was a little faster with the manual shift, but not as consistantly fast as with the Tip. Good enough for me, and it's like driving a video game. Come to a curve, click down a couple gears, and rock n roll.

Up until 02' there have been issues with the rear main seal. This is pretty much limited to manual trans cars though, but it's a consideration.

After owning a 914 with a good strong carb'd 3.0, most everything else is a step down power to weight wise, and the 2.7 Boxster is no exception, but it's a fantastic package. Well balanced and smooth. Just like a 2.0 914, it won't be the fastest car but it will handle anything you can throw at it, and better than a 914 too.

Quiet, decent power, good creature comforts (great heat and a/c), and two trunks, it's hard to beat.

We are considering making a lateral move to a mid 80's Carrera, but that's because we've got two kids and at least we could all fit in that.
Andyrew
I appreciate all the responses!

I had considered the tip, but I dont think I could honestly enjoy nearly as much as with a 6sp..

Im pretty much set on getting an S with a 6sp with a non black interior (want something slightly more exotic...). But I am still 6mon-a year away.. But I like to do my research early...

30mpg on a tip eh? That means a 6sp will definitely get that. Happy with that.

I know for a fact that any other car that I use as my fun car instead of the 914 will be slower.. I have nearly 400ftlb tq right now.. and tires to grip it. I just want it to have the porsche feel that gives me a little kick of adrenaline whenever I get on it.

How much can you store in one? Im seriously debating going down to one car now... My audi gets 31mpg, and the only reason I have it is for the 4 seats, but I havent used the back seats for people since I got it.. Anyone drive one daily?
Scott Carlberg
while I don't have a Boxster, I did just drive a Tip 1.5 weeks ago.

it was fun and somewhat comfortable.

made some good noises when I was on the throttle.

didn't push it in the turns, because it's NOT mine!

Andrew,
the Boxster I drove is Rick's boss, Jack, who owns Audio Plus at 509 McHenry. The reason I tell you this is because Jack just recently bought a Lotus and has a 07 VW Jetta. I think he'll prolly sell the Jetta or the Boxster - I can ask if you want me too.

Silver 02 Boxster - which I think means it has the 2.7
it's a Tip
pretty good condition, from what I saw
just bought new mesh-like wheels 2 weeks ago.
DanT
the Boxster is a wonderful Porsche.

Balanced like a 914 with the amentities of a 911.
comfortable for short or long trips, top up or down is great.
I had a '99 2.5L and would not hesitate to buy another '99.
the 2.7 has a bit more hp but also has a higher final drive ratio, so for AXs etc the older car was actually better.
If you can afford an S then go for it. the increase in power, the 6 speed and the slightly more performance oriented suspension is worth it. the 2000 and 2001 Ss are getting pretty affordable.

my car had H&R sport springs, M030 S front and rear sway bars, Dansk SS exhaust and B&M short shifter....great car.

ConeDodger
Buying an 04? or newer S model will get you the best car and avoid the problems.

The Tiptronic transmission is so well developed that it can be made to outshift even the best of us. Total secret autocross weapon!

You get glass rear window so you don't have to replace the plastic one every 5 years. Trust me on this. I owned one.

You get better power. The base is way better than the average 914 but you get used to it pretty quickly and want more.

You get better brakes. The base model brakes are plenty for most everything short of the track though...

The RMS failures and cylinder problem should be behind it in the earlier models by then.

Great car. Really, I mean it. Even if it does have a radiator.
tommy914
I have the 2000 Boxster S. Really like it. Great for daily driver and holds losts of luggage for trips.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
70Sixter
I still love my Boxster S after almost 4 years and 21k miles. Not probs to date.

The S also comes with a third radiator. Did not see much said that I don't agree with. I also did not want Tip, but will rethink that when DSG arrives.

I like to think the Box is what my -6 would have evolved into. Just as the 996/997 seems to be the descendant of my old 901/911.

Check out 986.com and RennTech.com for more info. And 6Speedonline. Even PCA.org.

Buy the best car you can afford and get a PPI before applying funding!
Jake Raby
Yes.. I have one. It's our test car for Boxster engine development...

We are "in work" (and have been for 1.5 years) on engine advancements for the Boxster engine..

I like the boxster, but it just doesn't have the character of an aircooled Porsche... I don't find myself feeling the same in the boxster as I do my 912 or my other cars that are all aircooled..

The only time I really like driving it is on cold rainy days....
brp986s
I have '01 S. It's a modern(ish) car with e-gas, PB, PS, and hydraulic clutch. so driver feel is muted some. You have to recalibrate your senses kinda. I use mine just for touring and for that 6 speeds is not needed. I often skip gears. My neighbor had a 2.5 that sounded better than my 3.2. Maybe cuz the S has 4 cats - I don't know. But after 30 secs or so I don't hear it anymore. Lots of places sell exhausts if thats what you want. If you want more power a 3.4 996 is a direct swap, but 3.6 is complicated due to continuous variable valve timing. If power is your thing there are other cars with more for less, but as for interior/exterior styling, and overall driving experience imho Porsche hit a home run. Especially with a hard top.
IronHillRestorations
You can get a regular golf bag in the rear trunk, I do pull out the driver and woods first though. We have a 48qt Igloo cooler that will fit perfectly in the front trunk.

Not as much luggage space as a 914, but it's still pretty good. With carefull packing, and soft luggage you can really put alot of stuff in these cars. Just like a 914, the rear trunk tends to be a wee bit warmer than the front!

I never thought I'd be a fan of a slushbox transmission either, but I just love the shiftable automatic.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.