Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Air Cleaner won't fit ... :-(
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RohJay
Just put in a complete, used 40IDF kit i bought from the 914World classifieds . All went well except one of the Air Cleaners has clearance issues
The Left side fits fine, but the Right side does not fit because of the trunk springs/bows. This is obviously due to right and left cylinder banks being staggered.

Is this a normal occurence in weber/k&n conversion?
in which case i would presume there is a way to modify the spring/Bows?
Or have i been issued with incorrect Air Cleaners?
Which means having to buy new , smaller units..

Any suggestions?

These are the K&Ns, they measure 9" x 5-1/4" x 3-1/2":

SirAndy
yes, it's a known issue with the tall intake runners ...

i cut my trunk springs and installed gas hoodshocks from camp914.
bye1.gif Andy

PS: you might want to do a search here on removing the trunk springs. they're under a *lot* of load and can seriously injure you if you're not careful ...
So.Cal.914
It only hits a little, I don't have a pic but I used a dremel and elongated the holes

over the venturies and mounting holes about an eighth of an inch. It still seals

between the carb and base plate and does not interfear with air flow.. My .02 smile.gif
rhodyguy
i used to run a set like those on the 40s. had to change them out when in put in the 44s. heigth isn't the issue. the back of the filter pushes against the torsion rods. those k&ns are longer than the standard weber paper filter elements. base and top plates are longer too. they fit with the trunk rods in place, sorta compresses the rear face of the element at the contact spot. smaller disposable filters (empi, whatever) run around $25-30 per side including tops and bases. if the filters have not been cleaned and oiled, you'll need to purchase a "filter charger kit".

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.