Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Parts Were Cad Plated
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
AvalonFal
Looking for what parts were originally cad plated. So far, I have the following:

Front Trunk Lower Latch (Upper???)
Front Strut Plates
Fuel Tank Strap Fastener
Rear Trunk Upper Latch

What about fuel tank cap, accelerator linkage parts, oil dipstick handle?? Mine show some evidence of the yellowish cad plating.

Any other parts??
davep
It is a bit tricky. First cad plating is properly called cadmium plating, and in many areas it is not considered a safe process anymore due to toxicity issues. I'm not sure how many parts were originally cadmium plated. I think many parts were plated in yellow or silver zinc. Can parts be plated in yellow cadmium?

Some parts like wheel bolts were cad plated. If you look at good number of alloy wheel bolts you will find some that have a blue tint to them. That is the corroded copper base plate layer. The steel bolts are first plated in copper, and then with cadmium for maximum protection.

clear or silver zinc plated parts:
door latch and striker plates
headlight pivot backer plates
some brake calipers
early fuel tank cap

yellow zinc plated parts:
front upper and lower latch pieces
rear upper latch
seat height adjust plate
front shock clamp plates and bolts
some brake calipers
caliper pins and spreaders
clutch pulley plate on transmission
wiper mechanism support

These parts for starters.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(davep @ Jan 19 2008, 02:54 PM) *

It is a bit tricky. First cad plating is properly called cadmium plating, and in many areas it is not considered a safe process anymore due to toxicity issues. I'm not sure how many parts were originally cadmium plated. I think many parts were plated in yellow or silver zinc. Can parts be plated in yellow cadmium?

Some parts like wheel bolts were cad plated. If you look at good number of alloy wheel bolts you will find some that have a blue tint to them. That is the corroded copper base plate layer. The steel bolts are first plated in copper, and then with cadmium for maximum protection.

clear or silver zinc plated parts:
door latch and striker plates
headlight pivot backer plates
some brake calipers
early fuel tank cap

yellow zinc plated parts:
front upper and lower latch pieces
rear upper latch
seat height adjust plate
front shock clamp plates and bolts
some brake calipers
caliper pins and spreaders
clutch pulley plate on transmission

These parts for starters.

Dave - I won't hijack this thread, but see my post in the garage about anodizing.
Pat
AvalonFal
The AA catalog shows the decel valve, front strut plates & rear lid top latch as cadmium plated. The plating is yellow/goldish with red/green tint. Also, Eastwood offers a kit to simulate cadmium plating made up of gold, red & green spray paints. That is where I'm getting the yellowish color.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.