Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to replace my front trunk floor?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Wanna9146
The entire floor of the "front" trunk is rusted out on my 914-0. There is solid metal around the edges, but there is nothing in the center where the spare tire used to mount. How do you replace this?
McMark
Like this...
IPB Image

I got a patch piece from the classifieds cut it to fit, and MIG welded it in to place.
Wanna9146
That looks exactly like the size/shape of my (missing) pan! I guess this is common, huh?

Do they make a new patch panel? I notice there are replacement panels for just about every other area.

QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 19 2008, 02:03 PM) *

I got a patch piece from the classifieds cut it to fit, and MIG welded it in to place.

McMark
Nope. Gotta get a used one. They were cut out for dealer installed AC. You probably have a hacked up passenger's side engine shelf as well.
Wanna9146
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 19 2008, 02:13 PM) *

You probably have a hacked up passenger's side engine shelf as well.

No, engine shelf is fine. What does that area have to do with the front trunk?

I plan on installing a front-mount oil cooler eventually. Can I use the new hole in my floor for this? I don't want to make the effort of patching, only to find out I have to cut again.
watsonrx13
If you decide to replace the trunk floor, here's a write up from my web site...

-- Rob
rhodyguy
"rusted out". you need a new/used trunk floor. post a pic or 2. hopefully the cancer isn't into the front pickups for the front control arms. post a want to buy in the classifieds. show a picture and the demensions of the size required.

k
VaccaRabite
1) look at what you got. If it looks like this, time to get some cutting done.
IPB Image

2)Drill the spot welds to your front trunk, and cut it away from the rise up to the gas tank area.
IPB Image

3)Buy a front trunk floor in good shape from someone here, and spend an afternoon cleaning it up.
IPB Image

4) Get welding! Soon, you will have this:
IPB Image

5) Grab a cold one. You have earned it!

Zach
Wanna9146
The first pic on your website is almost exactly how my trunk looks. The cut-out is the same width, but not quite as deep (toward the fuel tank). I noticed you only replaced the missing section, while Mr. "Vacca Rabite" cut out his entire floor and replaced. Will either method be acceptable? My car is far from concours.

QUOTE(watsonrx13 @ Jan 19 2008, 03:01 PM) *

If you decide to replace the trunk floor, here's a write up from my web site...[/url]

-- Rob

VaccaRabite
I intended to do mine the way Mark did.

But, when I was stripping the crap out of the front trunk, I found a lot of rust in the front suspension points. So, I treated it like I treated all the other rust on my car - cut it out and have no mercy.

If you can just fill the small hole, do it. Way easier. But don't be afraid to go big if it needs it.

And go ahead and call me Zach. smile.gif

Zach
Wanna9146
Here's mine. Surrounding metal is solid (as tested with an ice pick). 2nd question: Must I replace with another trunk floor? Would a welded piece of appropriate gauge sheetmetal be adequate?

IPB Image
McMark
It's your car, fix it how you want. But welding in hardware store sheet metal will take just as long as welding in original metal, and the original metal will look better when you're done.

I asked about the engine shelf, because when they installed AC (which is what your hole appears to be from) the compressor was mounted on the passenger side and didn't really fit well, so they cut the engine shelf to make room.
Wanna9146
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 19 2008, 08:15 PM) *

I asked about the engine shelf, because when they installed AC (which is what your hole appears to be from) the compressor was mounted on the passenger side and didn't really fit well, so they cut the engine shelf to make room.

Ah-ha...I'll take a closer look, but I didn't notice anything out of place. Any other clues as to added A/C?
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Wanna9146 @ Jan 19 2008, 11:25 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 19 2008, 08:15 PM) *

Ah-ha...I'll take a closer look, but I didn't notice anything out of place. Any other clues as to added A/C?

You will have several holes to weld closed in the passenger wheel well, probably. This is assuming that they routed the A/C hoses along the passenger side long, into the wheel well, and then into the front trunk. Mine had 3 one inch holes, and lots of sheet metal screw holes to fill.

Unless they mounted a non-standard pump, you will find that the engine shelf was cut. If you are lucky, they just cut it and bent the metal in the way down, if you are unlucky, they cut it all out and you will need to source new metal to weld in. If you are really lucky they did not cut the shelf at all.

Zach
rhodyguy
a car cut for ac will usually have a 1"+ hole drilled in each triangular sill support on the pass side too. with real hack installs the supports are removed completely. like on my car. why? i don't know. yours turned out swell zack.

k
Bleyseng
find a used good trunk piece and weld it in..takes some time but its worth it. welder.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.