Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Calling Eric Shea...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
biosurfer1
Eric,

I bought a set of rebuilt calipers from you some months ago and finally got them installed. I am having a problem setting the venting clearance of the inner pad. The outer pad was no problem, but I can't seem to figure out how to adjust the inner one. I took the 10mm cover bolt off and tried two different 4mm hex sockets and a regular allen wrench and nothing seems to catch the adjuster. I was able to get my camera to take a pic of what I see through the trailing arm and it doesnt look like the other side at all, all I see is a smaller circle. Was I supposed to put the adjuster in it or is it correct and I'm just not catching it? I'll include the pic I took, lemme know what you see.

Thanks!

Click to view attachment
Dr. Roger
Bio, are you missing something in there? I know miy adjuster came out with the hex socket when I turned it the wrong way in the beginning.
look at your other caliper to verify the adjuster is still there.
if so, use an extension on your hex key and stick it in the adjuster bolt by hand to make sure it is fitting into the adjuster bolt. then adjust. it won't take much turning to figure which way is correct when the tire is spinning. =)
I give it the ol' spin the wheel in the air and tighten till it barely just begins to touch adjustment. =) done.

good luck.

QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Jan 19 2008, 03:29 PM) *

Eric,

I bought a set of rebuilt calipers from you some months ago and finally got them installed. I am having a problem setting the venting clearance of the inner pad. The outer pad was no problem, but I can't seem to figure out how to adjust the inner one. I took the 10mm cover bolt off and tried two different 4mm hex sockets and a regular allen wrench and nothing seems to catch the adjuster. I was able to get my camera to take a pic of what I see through the trailing arm and it doesnt look like the other side at all, all I see is a smaller circle. Was I supposed to put the adjuster in it or is it correct and I'm just not catching it? I'll include the pic I took, lemme know what you see.

Thanks!

Click to view attachment

biosurfer1
well this is the first time i have taken the cover off since i got them so if something is missing, it was not there to begin with. i will check out the other side and see if it is there.
roadster fan
Eric will probably chime in, but I just did this so I will try to help. If you have the 4mm hex seated in the adjuster, when you turn clockwise the inner piston will move towards the rotor.

Make sure you are turning the correct way, and make sure you have the hex wrench/socket seated in the adjuster. Your pic is a little blurry (try setting it on macro) but it looks like the adjuster is there.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Oh, i had an issue after i rebuilt mine where the adjuster just spun. Eric suggested i put an air wrench on it and spin it faster to see if it would grab which worked. hopefully he chimes in.

Jim
Dr. Roger
attach the hex socket by hand with a long ass extension attached. it's easier to find the hole that way. <who will be the first to bite at that comment>

you gotta' work it ! =)
McMark
Eric is out of town until Monday. I don't know if he's checking in here.

I would try looking with a mirror and a flashlight. It's hard to get ye'r head in there to get a good look.

Here's what the inner adjuster gear looks like when you take it out. The hex portion is touching the table.
IPB Image
biosurfer1
thanks mark...i'm still trying to get out to the garage to investigate the other side...hopefully i'm just not doing something right.

Eric_Shea
Limited access sorry.

We do not ship calipers with the inner adjusters. That is on the instruction sheet.

Too many cores would come back with missing adjusters. It came down to us literally being out of adjusters and none were available with the exception of Automotion for $25.00. It's difficult, if not impossible to charge an adjuster gear up-charge after the sale when a core comes in w/o. I hope that makes sense.

We have not shipped with gears for roughly two years now. PM me and I'll help you out.
biosurfer1
thanks Eric... I have an extra set of calipers so i'll take a look at those and see if they still have useable gears. I'll PM you if they dont.

biosurfer1
well good news. i found that my extra set of calipers both had the adjusters, so i throw those in tomorrow.

question: how clean should these be going in? i cleaned them off with brake cleaner but i could do a better job if needed. also, do i need to apply any grease before installing?

just dont like taking chances brakes...

thanks everyone
davep
That should be clean enough. A little bit of grease on them is good. I use a moly type grease.
Eric_Shea
Sorry I didn't see the reply until now.

I'd only use brake grease as the gear is turning the actual adjuster and where it meets, it's only about 1/8 - 1/16" away from that rubber seal.

Most greases can expand and ruin that seal.

Careful.
biosurfer1
i ended up using very little grease. it worked fine, though I still am having trouble with my parking brake not squeezing the pads. I think I still have some adjusting to do.

thanks eric.
Eric_Shea
Adjust to .004" wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.