Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: did i mess up?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stateofidleness
wondering if i ordered somethin i dont need... i was planning on replacing the transmission and engine mounts while the engine is out and so i was told i could order trans mounts that would work as engine mounts also...

i bought 4 911 sport mounts which look fine for the transmission but isnt the engine "mount" just a bolt that goes through the end of the engine support beam and the little rubber pads in the middle of the support beam?

the middle rubber supports are what i need to replace... im not sure i need these other 2 trans mounts...

here's what i ordered:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/...91137504307-M61

and here's what i still need:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/...=039199231-M260

or would ya'll recommend these:
IPB Image

so did i mess up and ordered 2 too many? or did i do fine, and i just need to order the bar support rubbers now?

thanks
SirAndy
QUOTE(stateofidleness @ Jan 19 2008, 04:16 PM) *

and so i was told i could order trans mounts that would work as engine mounts also...

dude, you got it all backwards ... rolleyes.gif

i told you to use the 911 *engine* sport mounts as *transmission* mounts.

i *never* told you they would work as 914 *engine* mounts ...

you'll need the two in your picture above for the engine, except, those in your picture look like *solid* mounts, which are no good for street cars.
you'll want the real rubber version for a street car ...
shades.gif Andy
stateofidleness
well damn... lol sigh...
so as to avoid a restocking fee, i guess ill throw em on the '73 i just got... can't hurt i presume

should i stick to OEM on those bar mounts andy or will the jwest work for me?
John
A word of caution when using solid trans mounts:

GET SOLID ENGINE MOUNTS TOO!!!

If the "ears" on the transmission are mounted solid, and the engine mounts are not solid, then the engine end can and will try to move. The ears on the transmission will take the abuse until they crack off.

If you solidly mount BOTH the engine and transmission, you should not have this issue.

If the engine and transmission are balanced, there should be little difference in vibration transmission into the chassis due to the solid mounts. I have been driving a 914 street car with solid mounts for at least 20 years with no ill effects. The car does not shake with the engine running.

The shifting is definitely more positive than it was with the worn engine and transmission mounts.
stateofidleness
so to avoid confusion, when we say engine mount, we are talking strictly about the rubber pads on the support bar?

and the ones i ordered for the trans are NOT solid correct?

i think ill order the OEM pads, dont wanna run the risk of something cracking or stressing cuz i was too cheap to spend an extra $10 lol
John
911 "sport" engine mounts look remarkably similar to the stock 914 transmission mounts and have a rubber center section (not solid mounts like you show). These are a common replacement for worn out 914 transmission mounts.

The stock 914 engine mounts are a rubber pad with studs bonded to each end. The studs go through the 4-cyl engine bar and into small angle brackets bolted to the front of the 4-cyl engine case on either side of the oil pump.
stateofidleness
so that means im gonna have NON-solid transmission mounts (good thing) and i need to order the pads from Pelican? any other alternatives or cheaper prices on these floatin around?

thanks for the help
GeorgeRud
I'd say to spring for the extra and get the WEVO 914 transmission mounts. They are stiffer than the 914 or 914-6 transmission mounts, but still have some give, unlike the solid metal ones. When I went to these mounts, I think the shifting bcame much more constant.

They are also designed for just this purpose. The 911 mounts are close, but not really the same. Give the guys ar WEVO a buzz and they can fill you in.
rhodyguy
so you ordered 4 911 sport mounts? what's wrong with new stock inboard mounts? one thing, the stock inboard mounts are "keyed" with a square section at the base of the topside threads. the "squared" portion fits into the brackets bolted to the front of the engine so you can easily tighten the top nut.

k
stateofidleness
i was told they were a good "substitute" for stock and were a little cheaper than OEM

am i gonna have trouble when installing them? i have the engine and trans out of the car
rhodyguy
please define "a little cheaper". @ $20 each for the stockers including free shipping from the bird, i can't see the others being much more reasonable. the stock ones work nicely.
stateofidleness
the OEM ones are "NLA" on pelican

got them installed last night and cleaned up the area.

my stock ones were in pretty good shape but one had a "tear" in the rubber
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.