Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT:Anodizing on cookie cutters
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pat Garvey
Yeah, I know this is sorta off topic, but since some 5-bolters run cookie cutters here............

My 73 911 has cookies. It's far from a beater, yet far from a CW car, but the cookie cutters seem to have a greenish cast to them. They aren't cobbled up, so it's not some result of global warming - they've always been that way. I recall (Oh brother, this could be dangerous with MY memory) seeing a 74 or 75 911T at a Parade with a full greenish-blue hue (light) to its cookies. This was at least 20 years ago.

Were there some choices with these wheels? Am I nuts? (go ahead, I deserve it)
Pat
davep
I don't really know if 'cookies' care anodized. Anodizing is a process used to protect aluminum by creating a layer of aluminum oxide (ceramic) on the surface that is much harder than the aluminum metal and relatively inert. Anodizing can be stained during the process to produce a wide range of colors.

Gasburner rims (magnesium) also have a blue layer below the final finish. I suspect (without having done any research) that the blue layer is a type of primer, and the silver finish is paint. I always thought that 'cookies were painted.

Forged rims like the Fuchs are harder, denser and stronger than cast rims like the cookie cutter and the gasburner rims. The denser material is more conducive to anodizing. The cast rims are more porous and thus are not usually anodized. That is my reasoning for them being painted.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jan 19 2008, 06:21 PM) *

Am I nuts? (go ahead, I deserve it)

yes! screwy.gif

now that we got that out of the way, i have two sets and both have what appears to be a factory clearcoat that gives them a slightly greenish hue.

i have two wheels where it's peeling off and the coat is rather thick ... it does not look aftermarket ...
bye1.gif Andy
davep
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 19 2008, 08:52 PM) *

i have two wheels where it's peeling off and the coat is rather thick ... it does not look aftermarket ...

Andy, In your opinion, does the coating appear to be paint?
SirAndy
QUOTE(davep @ Jan 20 2008, 07:06 AM) *

Andy, In your opinion, does the coating appear to be paint?

good question. it seems to be too hard to be paint. it's fairly thick, 1mm at least and very hard ...
idea.gif Andy

PS: maybe i can take some pics later ...
pete-stevers
i have two sets as well,and the coating while thick does not seem to have stood up to well to the salt and tire remounts
i am going to bead blast em and paint them some funky color........

...... some day idea.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 19 2008, 11:52 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jan 19 2008, 06:21 PM) *

Am I nuts? (go ahead, I deserve it)

yes! screwy.gif

Hey, I have feelings! I'm also sensitive! And, yes, I have nuts! How dare you agree with me! What was the question?
Pat
beech4rd
I have Cookie Cutters on my '75 911S and they are definitely painted. I believe that it's a baked enamel finish- they don't appear to have a clear coat.
I recently saw a picture of a Special Order Middie Carrera built for Ferry Porsche that had Cookies painted the same color as the car. And it looked pretty cool.
Chris
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.