Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: My Brother Was Ginted
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Spoke
My brother owns a vending business and was delivering a 500 LB soda vending machine to a new customer by himself on Thursday. With the lift gate up, he unbuckled the machine from the back of his truck and pushed the machine (on a dolly) to towards the gate.

Being it was raining and the lift gate was wet, the machine started to slide off the gate. As he jumped off the truck to stabilize the machine, he tripped and fell. That is all he remembers.

After he fell, and knocked himself out, the machine fell on his upper torso and face. Luckily he was delivering the soda machine to an EMT station and the EMTs saw the accident. The EMTs put him in their ambulance and rushed him to the hospital.

Injuries include cut on the back of his head from the initial fall, 3 broken ribs, broken collarbone, Jaw broken on both sides (tape around his jaw in the video is holding his jaw in place until he enters surgery perhaps on Tues next week), cheekbone shattered, and 2 black eyes.

None of the injuries are life threatening so we are very glad for that. He's resting comfortably right now with some of morphine to ease the pain.

Warning: Disturbing video of my brother in the hospital

Jim in the Hospital
Wanna9146
He's lucky to be alive! There are several (if not a few hundred) deaths each year from toppling vending machines. I notice now that most machines have some sort of bracket affixing them to the wall.
Dr Evil
Glad all is not worse. Thats funny that you used the word "Ginted" and we all know what you mean smile.gif poke.gif
alpha434
I don't want to laugh, because it's anything but funny...

But if "ginted" becomes a common phrase, I'm going to giggle like a school girl every time I see him.
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(alpha434 @ Jan 19 2008, 08:16 PM) *

But if "ginted" becomes a common phrase, I'm going to giggle like a school girl every time I see him.

Taking cover might be a wiser choice hide.gif

wink.gif
jonferns
Ouch. Hope he has a speedy recovery
banger
Reminds me of the Darwin Award, for a guy who tried to get a free coke out of a machine. He toppled it over and killed himself.
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(banger @ Jan 19 2008, 08:35 PM) *

Reminds me of the Darwin Award, for a guy who tried to get a free coke out of a machine. He toppled it over and killed himself.

Wasn't that a CSI episode? laugh.gif
banger
Apparently its more common than you would think.

Darwin Award

QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Jan 19 2008, 07:39 PM) *

QUOTE(banger @ Jan 19 2008, 08:35 PM) *

Wasn't that a CSI episode? laugh.gif

GWN7
Isn't everything a CSI episode? smile.gif
stepuptotheMike
WOW... glad he's going to be ok.
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Jan 19 2008, 08:47 PM) *

I guess you're right. Do they have CSI: Canadian Mounties yet? biggrin.gif
McMark
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Jan 19 2008, 07:56 PM) *

Crap that's funny! av-943.gif
Gint
QUOTE(alpha434 @ Jan 19 2008, 08:16 PM) *

Just like you giggled at Valeri I'm sure... Jumpy.gif new_shocked.gif
GWN7
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Jan 19 2008, 07:56 PM) *

They prob do, but I can't remember what's it's called............We have our own version of Cops....it's called Serve and Protect.......mainly the mounties arresting drunks in the Vancouver area biggrin.gif
Spoke
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Jan 19 2008, 10:30 PM) *

Taking cover might be a wiser choice

wink.gif

I hope Gint doesn't take offense at my reference. Hopefully this will always remind us to be extra careful working under and around large heavy machines. After Gint's accident, I don't go under a car without 2 or 3 stands in place just in case one fails.

It makes me sick seeing my bro looking like this and at this point I'm too concerned about his health to be pissed at him that he did something that put him in a position that could have easily killed him.

BTW, this is the second time he broke his collarbone. First time he was playing softball and dove for a ball and rolled. If I recall correctly, they gave him some good drugs that time too.
scotty b
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Jan 19 2008, 07:47 PM) *

Simpsons did it
IronHillRestorations
At least it's not like getting "Burked"
Lou W
Wow, glad he got some quick help. I hope he has a speedy recovery. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.