Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Formuling Steering Wheel..... Made in France
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
computers4kids
This "Formuling...Made in France" 13 inch steering wheel came on one of my parts car. I was going to sell it, but I kind of like it. The leather wrap was torn so I removed it.

I would like to recover it and looking for some wisdom or experience. From what I could find out, these steering wheels were popular in the 70s and the company is no longer around.

Would you send it to an upholstery shop to be recovered in leather? What would be an expected cost?

Is there a good source for aftermarket covers that cover the part of the spokes that need to be done to look corect (4 spoke)?
Thanks
Sarastro
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Jan 20 2008, 11:55 AM) *

Is there a good source for aftermarket covers that cover the part of the spokes that need to be done to look corect (4 spoke)?

You might try these people:

http://www.american-stitches.com/
ConeDodger
I had one of these for years on my 240Z... Nice wheel. I think the company was called Formuling France...

I would expect it to be expensive. This is painstaking detail work for the upholstery shop. One that I have found can be less expensive is AGLA in Florida but be sure you get a price that he sticks with. He can be difficult to impossible to get a hold of. But you have to remember that this is the way of the world for small business people. They have to do everything from have the vision to do the business to clean the toilets some time. Alan Gunn the owner of AGLA is no different in that regard.

The Evil one, our own Dr. Evil may know of a shop in SoCal or Tijuana that can do that work cheaper.
Slider
Rob is right the company was called Formuling France and they were in business til i believe the late 90's They were Extremely popular with the VW Air Cooled Scene you would'nt see a cal look bug without one. i had a gold 4 spoke one like thatone with black leather. i still have a formuling futuro. it was a three spoke wheel that had a different cut in it.. and keeping with the late 80's theme it has white leather.. you might look on evil-bay for them you might be able to find a good one for a cheaper price than you can get that one recovered.
computers4kids
QUOTE(Slider @ Jan 21 2008, 08:15 PM) *

Rob is right the company was called Formuling France and they were in business til i believe the late 90's They were Extremely popular with the VW Air Cooled Scene you would'nt see a cal look bug without one. i had a gold 4 spoke one like thatone with black leather. i still have a formuling futuro. it was a three spoke wheel that had a different cut in it.. and keeping with the late 80's theme it has white leather.. you might look on evil-bay for them you might be able to find a good one for a cheaper price than you can get that one recovered.

Thanks Chris...good tip.
Mark
SLITS
Did it come with a Certificate of Surrender?
tdgray
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jan 22 2008, 11:49 AM) *

Did it come with a Certificate of Surrender?

av-943.gif rolleyes.gif chairfall.gif
So.Cal.914
Were all the horn button holes the same ID on Formuling wheels?

and if so, Do you want to sell that horn button? Keep me in mind if you change

yours. smile.gif

Anyone know where to get one?

Ron your incorrigible... ;^)
Slider
I believe the ID hole of the horn buttons were all the same since they had only two styles that i know of for horn buttons. the round one like in the pic and the other "80's" version that was just a rubber cover. that had some lines and a round spot for your makes logo.

I remember in the 90's some companies were doing Billet horn buttons for them but not sure where to find them anymore... other than Evilbay and possibly Samba.
KaptKaos
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Jan 22 2008, 11:27 AM) *

Were all the horn button holes the same ID on Formuling wheels?

and if so, Do you want to sell that horn button? Keep me in mind if you change

yours. smile.gif

Anyone know where to get one?

Ron your incorrigible... ;^)

I think I have one of the generic horn buttons. Let me know.

Don't want no money for it, maybe a neat do-dad or something =)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.