Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WOT: Nvidia GeForce 8600 vs. ATI Mobility Radeon X1600
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
smontanaro
I'm looking for a new Mac laptop. Once you get off the Apple website the various options available become mind boggling what with closeouts, refurbs, open boxes, slight variation in CPU specs, memory, disk and graphics cards.

I understand the difference between various CPU, RAM and disk options pretty well. I'm no graphics card expert though. Should I care one way or the other about an Nvidia GeForce 8600 vs. an ATI Mobility Radeon X1600? I don't have full specs available, though I believe both have 128MB of video RAM. They are in slightly different spec MacBook Pro 15" models.

Thanks,

Skip Montanaro

brownaar
Nvidia all the way. I'm no expert, but I've never had gameplay issues with Nvidia like I have had with cards from various other manufacturers.

My .02
stateofidleness
nVidia IS the way to go, but the 8600's are notorious for running very hot.. ATI on laptops aint so bad... only issues id have with ATI is their drivers, but since combining with AMD, they are looking more attractive

if it wasn't a 8600, id say nVidia ALL THE WAY, but in this case, i wouldn't say no to the ATI... if you arent gaming on the laptop (and i suspect you arent), either one will do what you want with plenty of ease

read this:
http://forums.macnn.com/77/gaming/338096/8600m-gt-vs-x1600/

we'll make a nVidia fanboi out of you!

green is prettier than red wink.gif
smontanaro
Thanks for the responses. New MBP on order...

Skip

akellym
I would go with a 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8700M GT GDDR3. If your not planning on doing any gaming then you could go with that 128 card. If your into gaming nothing less than a 512 card.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.