Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear window
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PeeGreen 914
So I am goignt o take out the rear window to paint the interior of my car and am thinking if there is a lighter weight different solution to replace the window. Anyone have any ideas, and if you do where do you get said iteam? drunk.gif
jaminM3
Isn't the back window perfectly flat? If so you could just get some plexiglass and cut it to size, right? confused24.gif
tracks914
Go with LEXAN. Plexi glass can break and become dangerous.
alpha434
Well, obviously, the lightest option is saran wrap.

If you do a lexan rear window, fab up some mounts so you can pop that sucker out for spirited warm weather driving.
jd74914
. . . and have a really loud interior screwy.gif
PeeGreen 914
Don't really think the interior could get much louder than it is biggrin.gif

So where would I get this lexan for it?
jd74914
Thats what you think . . .

Home Depot laugh.gif
PeeGreen 914
Really? Home Depot? That's easy enough.
Rand
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Jan 21 2008, 08:34 PM) *

Don't really think the interior could get much louder than it is biggrin.gif

It's a must to drive it while you have the rear window out! You'll be amazed how much louder it is. Woot.
aktion035.gif

TAP Plastics has a ton of stuff, but I doubt lexan. Might be worth calling them though.
PeeGreen 914
Cool, I will check with them. Hey Rand, You need to call me when you have time. I need your help PLEASE biggrin.gif
effutuo101
Does Lexan build up a static charge? ( figured I would ask)
McMark
Driving a 914 without a rear window is something you only wish on your worst enemies. happy11.gif

Did it once, never again.
Rand
laugh.gif I concur, but I still say every 914 owner should experience it at least once when they have the window out! laugh.gif
msglaigaie
I just left Lowes, just a bit closer than Home Depot and all the same stuff. They had small cuts (2' x 4') of both grades of plastic in a variety of thickness. Easy stuff.
MSG L
Brando
You would be surprised how much noise that rear window reflects from entering the cab.

If you're buying lexan, I had the idea of buying two sheets, some thin gasket material and tint. Putting the two together with the gasket and some sealant so there is a gap between... Would help quite a bit I think.
championgt1
There is a company in Tacoma called keltech plastics. I am not sure if they do lexan or not. They make some plastic components for our company and they are very good quality. The only downfall is that they are not the cheapest. Like the old saying goes, "you get what you pay for". If you want to check them out their website is keltechplastic.com. Good luck. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.