Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tail light housing mounting hardware question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pat Garvey
Each tail light housing assembly(not the lenses) mounts to the body in four places. Each mounting place has a bolt, metal washer & rubber washer.

What is the size of the RUBBER washer? My PET is blank about size (????), and my paper parts manual is out on lend.

I have no rubber washers on mine. Could have been misplaced when the car was repainted almost 30 years ago - who knows.

I DO have replacement rubber washers, but they appear to be too large to fit.

So, what's the size?
Pat
GWN7
Pat,

while they appear to be too big they are in fact exactly the same size and type of material that the originals were made of.

When I make parts, I determine what the exact DROM rating of the original material (DROM rating is the hardness of the rubber or also known as Shore A hardness) is to determine what the new ones should be made of before I proceed.

They were then measured with a micrometer to determine size and thickness of the material.

Then they get made smile.gif

You have no worries about getting giged for points with having these on your car.

Pic 1 shows the original on the housing

Pic 2 shows the new one over top the original
GWN7
Second pic didn't turn out as well as I thought it would so here the old over the new......
ScooterD
Pat,
My '73 which was built in Sept '72 and has 33K miles with the original paint and I am pretty sure the nuts have never been removed from the tail lights. There is only an internal tooth lock washer and a nut. Looking at the nuts carefully, there are no tell tales on the flats of the nuts that show marks on the edges that would occur if they were ever removed; there are some marks on the edges from tightening the nuts. My '74 with about 75K miles is the same as the '73.
It could be that the washers are actually between the tail light housing and the sheetmetal strap on the body that holds them in place and can't be seen when it is installed. From a concours perspective, you can't see the washers. I hope this helps Pat, good luck in Charlotte!
Scott
jonferns
hmm...no washers here confused24.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Jan 21 2008, 10:32 PM) *

Pat,

while they appear to be too big they are in fact exactly the same size and type of material that the originals were made of.

When I make parts, I determine what the exact DROM rating of the original material (DROM rating is the hardness of the rubber or also known as Shore A hardness) is to determine what the new ones should be made of before I proceed.

They were then measured with a micrometer to determine size and thickness of the material.

Then they get made smile.gif

You have no worries about getting giged for points with having these on your car.

Pic 1 shows the original on the housing

Pic 2 shows the new one over top the original

Bruce,

The only reason I brought this up is because the replacements measured exactly ONE INCH by my caliper (which is old). One inch didn't "feel" metric, yet my PET is blank for the size.

Just a head scratcher though. What judge in they're off day would check the measurement for such an obscure, mostly hidden part. Would like to know the factory metric measurment (diameter) though.
Pat

And Scott & Jon - check the pics of Bruce's. These really are barely visible & could easily have been lost if your 914 was repainted. If you don't have them at all, talk to Bruce - he makes them & they're very nice.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.