Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First & 2nd Gen 914 owners
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pat Garvey
I bought my 914 new in 72 - really seems like yesterday, but Mother Nature has a way of bringing one eventually into reality. Had it more than 35 years now & I'm finding that something as simple as getting off of a creeper can be laborious. I still have a lecherous 25 year old mind, but some OTHER things are staring to get stiff!

So, when will the time come that I have to part with this car. Been driving it for over 35 years, but I don't see me driving it for another 35. May make it close (my Mother just had her 94th birthday & finally gave up her 2000 Civic, with all of 13K miles on it), but I don't see me driving a 914 at 100 (I DO plan on achieveing that).

My question is to those 1st & 2nd owners of 914. Will you part with it? When?

Will you be buried in it? If so, will you have new seals put on it first?

Think about this - the 914 was last produced 33 years ago. When it was LAST produced, how many people were tooling around in 1942 cars? Take it another twenty years & how many people were riding around in Model T's at the time you got your 914? How many people even wanted a Model T then & how many people want a Model T now?

So, should all us old timers bail out of our 914's now, while the price has risen? Or, literally, drive them into the grave?
rick 918-S
I'm not sure, Ask me in another 20 years. biggrin.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jan 21 2008, 08:37 PM) *

how many people were tooling around in 1942 cars?

There were no 1942 cars..... there was a little thing called World War 2 going on, and no new cars were built.

Ok.. there may have been a few 42 models built in late 41. But not enough to sneeze at.

BTW.. I plan on driving my 914 until I can't drive. Betty and I have an agreement. If either of us starts to drive like a blue-hair, the other doesn't let them drive any more.

I intend to be the 75 year old man who smokes the kids at the stoplights... in a 65 year old 914!! driving.gif
ClayPerrine
From an old thread... something I wrote years ago....

When I am an old sports car owner...
I shall wear nomex and sunscreen,
And carry an old helmet with me.
And I shall spend my social security on racing fuel and tires,
And sit in my garage
And listen to hot engines tick as they cool.
I will sneak out in the middle of a summer night.
And race my old car through the countryside
Ignoring speed limits
If my old bones will allow.
And when people come to call, I will smile and nod
As I walk past the gardens to the garage
And show them my freshly waxed fender.
I will wrench and sweat and wear grease on my face
as if it were a jewel.
I will be an embarrassment to all,
Who have not yet found the peace in being free
And the joy of a four wheel drift
in a old friend made of metal and rubber and plastic
Who will wait forever
For the kind of person I will be
When I am old.

The original thread... For those of you who missed it.
So.Cal.914
I bought mine in 1982, My Uncle bought his in 1970. My Nephew will get it when I

am dead, and not a moment sooner... smile.gif
blitZ

There is an older gentleman in our local PCA, probably in his 70s. He's been building his own 911s for years. At out last AX he mentioned he can't work on the cars anymore as his vision is failing. He finished in the top 10.

Not a bad place to be at that age.
TeenerTim
One word. "Tiptronic"
Phoenix914
My 914 was passed on to me by the original owner, who is now in his 80's. He couldn't very easily drive it any more, and getting in and out was difficult. I hope that I can find someone like me to whom I can pass it on in about forty or fifty years.
iamchappy
I have had a 914 since 74 and i cant see any reason not to keep it around unless i cant drive it anymore then the kids can fight over it.

I have a 914 because i really enjoy it and have never longed for another sports car to replace it.
Bleyseng
When its time I will drive the 914 off into the sunset off a cliff like Selma and Louise....
Pat Garvey
[quote name='ClayPerrine' date='Jan 21 2008, 11:03 PM' post='989262']
[quote name='Pat Garvey' post='989223' date='Jan 21 2008, 08:37 PM']
how many people were tooling around in 1942 cars?
[/quote]

There were no 1942 cars..... there was a little thing called World War 2 going on, and no new cars were built.

Ok.. there may have been a few 42 models built in late 41. But not enough to sneeze at.

Jeez, take me literally why don't you! It was a metaphor.

You're talking about 75? Hell, I'm talking about 95! I figure if I can still get in & out of the bastard I'll be happy. Go to the mall with my walker, fart at will (I will have earned the right), pinch chippies butts (I will have earned the right), kick the crap out of unruly teenagers (I will have earned the right) & ask pretty ladies to help me change my diapers (will NOT have earned that right, but you can always ask) - that's what I'm hoping for.

But that's another 35 years from now.

Hmmm

SGB
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jan 22 2008, 09:08 PM) *

When its time I will drive the 914 off ... a cliff

agree.gif
Were going out together.

(maybe I could be an urban legend. Got any JATO?)
Pat Garvey
I figure in about 10 years, McMark will come up with a Club insignia'd walker, available in all 914 original colors, that will also make use of the ski rack mounts as a place to mount it!
Pat
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jan 27 2008, 09:20 AM) *

I figure in about 10 years, McMark will come up with a Club insignia'd walker, available in all 914 original colors, that will also make use of the ski rack mounts as a place to mount it!
Pat

laugh.gif av-943.gif piratenanner.gif agree.gif

That's good.
SirAndy
why is this burried in the sandbox?

confused24.gif Andy

PS: moved into the garage, where it belongs ... smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.