Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starting button.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PeeGreen 914
So I am just curious about doing a start button or switch. So if you turn the key to on and have a switch or something. I don't know, just seems more racecar...ish. Does the sound queer or cool? I'm undecided. andy thoughts?
r_towle
It should be a single action push button switch.
Mine is 50 amps, but that is a temp switch for testing.
I am not sure, but 30 amps might be enough...

Rich
LS6/914
Its cool. I have a couple Noble in the shop that use a starter button. It can be a simple wire in for the teener. You can even wirre it through a remote to trigger a no start alarm. Larry
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(LS6/914 @ Jan 21 2008, 09:39 PM) *

Its cool. I have a couple Noble in the shop that use a starter button. It can be a simple wire in for the teener. You can even wirre it through a remote to trigger a no start alarm. Larry

Maybe you could help me with it biggrin.gif beerchug.gif
plymouth37
I have a shifter mounted Honda S2000 starter button, I have also eliminated the conventional key and wired in a digital remote key Digital Guard Dog. When I get within ten feet of the car it arms the ignition switch (just a simple rocker), when the ignition is switched on the starter button is engaged, as a safety precaution the starter button will only trigger the starter if the E-brake is on.
The system gives me a fun race car feel with the security of a digital key.
Click to view attachment
LS6/914
Not a problem, my schedule is. I can be reached at 360 265 1311 when Iam not slinging profanity at a Lotus (LotsOfTroubleUsuallySerious) Larry av-943.gif
PeeGreen 914
Cool. I will give you a call tomorrow to see when we could sert something up. I am thinking sometime next month, March, would be cool to do this if you're up for it.
LS6/914
Not a problem, Iam out of town until end of next week. Larry
McMark
I think... dry.gif yawn.gif

Here's my thought process:
If you have to insert a key and turn it, why add an extra step of pushing a button rather than just turning the key a little farther. It's just making more 'work'.

Now, if you have a power switch and a starter button, that's racecar. wink.gif
Rand
When my ignition switch cracked, I eliminated the stock switch and wired up a toggle switch for ignition/fuel pump, and a hidden push button for start. I love being keyless. Also, the location for my start button has been handy sometimes for just turning over the motor (ignition off).
Rand
Also, one of my clients manufactures some killer switches that might be worth looking at. (He's local btw.)
PeeGreen 914
drooley.gif Yes sir I would like one of those. Okay, so when I do this what do I do to the column?
BiG bOgGs
When I installed a custom dash in my Suzuki Samurai, I replaced my starter with a covered switch and a momentary switch for the starter. I have gotten so used to not having keys out while I am in a car I left my keys in the 914 5 times in the first week I drove it regularly. I have added this mod to my 914 to do list. You will love it.

Another security measure I have heard of is to use a toggle switch reroute the wiring for the horn button so that when you push on the momentary toggle switch you hit your horn button and start the car. The when the toggle switch is released, the horn button works normally.

Jim

jgara962
I added a start button a couple of years ago. I picked up a black one at my local FLAPS. Despite some people (McMark biggrin.gif ) thinking it's extra work to take your hand off the key and push a button, I like it for the coolness factor and it does at a touch of race car.
swl
biggrin.gif
QUOTE(BiG bOgGs @ Jan 22 2008, 04:09 AM) *

Another security measure I have heard of is to use a toggle switch reroute the wiring for the horn button so that when you push on the momentary toggle switch you hit your horn button and start the car. The when the toggle switch is released, the horn button works normally.

Now thats some serious security by obscurity!!! Combine that with the handbrake idea and you could also prevent DUI. Gotta have a clear mind just to remember how to start the thing!
sean_v8_914
adjacent to the steering column where the light sw and flasher sw is there is also a blank hole in that same line of switches. it is covered in fine German basket weave. if you push there with your finger you will feel the hole under the vinyl covering.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(swl @ Jan 22 2008, 11:31 AM) *

biggrin.gif

Now thats some serious security by obscurity!!! Combine that with the handbrake idea and you could also prevent DUI. Gotta have a clear mind just to remember how to start the thing!

I just had this mental image of a drunken 914 owner sitting in his 914 with the key on honking the hell out of the horn and muttering something like "goddam car won't start". av-943.gif

Do you think the cops would take him in for a DUI or take him to the looney bin????

av-943.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Jan 21 2008, 09:33 PM) *

andy thoughts?

biggrin.gif yeah, every once in a while ...
Cap'n Krusty
Right. Adding complication is always good ................................ The Cap'n
Rand
Mine's a hell of a lot simpler than the stock tumbler/switch was! And the plastic housing won't be cracking again. tongue.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Lemme see ................ Nope, more complicated. The switch lasts what, 15-20 years? Or more? And costs about 20 bucks? And takes 20 minutes to change?

I don't see the savings, overall. The Cap'n
Rand
Cheer's Cap'n. beerchug.gif
Wish you would come to the WCR! How about it?
spunone
What we need is a how to write up for those that might want piratenanner.gif
jgara962
QUOTE(spunone @ Jan 22 2008, 11:50 AM) *

I think there is one if you do a search. Someone posted a schematic on how to hook it up because that's what I used.
degreeoff
Mine has a 3 way antitheft with a I am a dunce switch for non literate MF's, Detachable steering wheel, Battery cutoff , fuel pump toggle and a ignition toggle all that and a key only to activate the starter....lol
degreeoff
QUOTE(jgara962 @ Jan 22 2008, 12:22 PM) *

QUOTE(spunone @ Jan 22 2008, 11:50 AM) *

I think there is one if you do a search. Someone posted a schematic on how to hook it up because that's what I used.

I reccomend reading the wiring schematic in the haynes...all you need in the way of wiring is on one curved steering colum plug...at least it was on my 72.
swl
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 22 2008, 10:17 AM) *

QUOTE(swl @ Jan 22 2008, 11:31 AM) *

biggrin.gif

I just had this mental image of a drunken 914 owner sitting in his 914 with the key on honking the hell out of the horn and muttering something like "goddam car won't start". av-943.gif

Do you think the cops would take him in for a DUI or take him to the looney bin????

av-943.gif

dunno where they would take him but I bet the first call he'd make when he got out would be to the Cap'n - to ask him to install the old key switch!
Sleepin
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jan 21 2008, 10:55 PM) *

I have a shifter mounted Honda S2000 starter button, I have also eliminated the conventional key and wired in a digital remote key Digital Guard Dog. When I get within ten feet of the car it arms the ignition switch (just a simple rocker), when the ignition is switched on the starter button is engaged, as a safety precaution the starter button will only trigger the starter if the E-brake is on.
The system gives me a fun race car feel with the security of a digital key.
Click to view attachment

I am liking that idea!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.