elmonte
Looks like AA showroom
Aaron Cox
elmonte.... grateful dead signature smilie_pokal.gif
elmonte
Long live the dead (oxymoron)

$55,000.00 for the sporto 6 at auto atlanta ohmy.gif
Red-Beard
There are rumors around that someone up in the Pacific Northwest is sitting on 12 Sportomatics.

$55,000? The crack habit is getting worse...
Joe Bob
That's nice they only made 4.....
Red-Beard
These are in the crate, ready to convert, suckers. I'm not sure they are for 6's or not. I'll look at the tranny book when I get home, to see if the ratio's on the Sporto are different for the 4 and the 6.

Appearently, they aren't selling too well.

Herb Meeder told me once that his mom had a type 3 or a type 4 with a sporto.

James
Joe Bob
Well I can tell ya right now....the stock /4 and the stock /6 DO have different gearing.....
Britain Smith
Another one that we hesitate to sell!!!!

How can you hesitate to sell anything at $55K? You are never going to sell it!
seanery
wasnt Brad or someone thinking of an automatic in a 914 not too long ago?
Air_Cooled_Nut
Clicking on an image to get a better view was completely worthless mad.gif

Why would they list it as a Manual when they say it's an automatic? blink.gif
Mueller
Brad and others have discussed an automatic 914.....a "real" automatic would be more ideal than the sportomatic since you could just put it in "D", hit the gas and not worry about shifting unless you really need or want to.

I've seen one real automatic 914, unfortunately (IMHO) it was powered by a Fiero V6
(guy mounted the entire Fiero drivetrain in the 914)
cnavarro
Damn them. I love sportomatics, but they are nearly impossible to find. I bought an early 70s sportomatic 911 and the PO had hidden all kinds of problems, so I ended up two one way tickets shorter without the car. I was not a happy camper. Next car we get will either be a sportomatic or 356 coupe, but most likely the latter if my wife has any say in it :-)

Charles Navarro
LN Engineering
http://www.LNengineering.com
Aircooled Precision Performance
davep
Does anyone know, for certain, if internals from a 4 speed sporto will work in a 914 box. I have a sporto tranny, and wondered if the gears and ring & pinion were useful in building a race tranny.

DaveP
i know someone with a real 6 sporto... Not sure if he would be selling it, although he might for the right price. Pretty clean too from what i remember. He also has a 6 with airconditioning (original).
Aaron Cox
whats the difference between Porsches "sportomatic" and Volkswagens "autostick" transmissions. they are effectively the same right? idea.gif
914ghost
jeeez- I hope they aren't the same.
I've driven a pile of auto-sticks and they're all a bit odd, but only 2 worked well (or at all) 1 was in a squareback and it still lives not far from me in the original owers garage. They each had very very low miles.
In an auto stick a pressure sensor in the shifter puts it in neutral when you touch it- then you can shift.
Generally you stick your hand on the stick as your *thinking* about shifting and RRrreeeeevvv the engine the engine raps out. OH CRAP! you let off and *clunk* back into gear. You kinda' have to coast as you shift.
You can always drive it as an automatic which if the vacuum clutch/shifter gadget is adjusted right makes it convenient and memorable.
914-6 sporto. . ? Hard to believe it would have been worth thinking about back then, maybe in the 914, but not the -6! Guess thats whay they only made "4".
The ad also says its a 4cyld.
Robert O

p.s. Thanks for the 2liter wheel Aaron!
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(914ghost @ Jan 8 2004, 04:09 PM)
p.s. Thanks for the 2liter wheel Aaron!

huh? i don think i sold you a wheel unsure.gif
cnavarro
I owned an autostick beetle. loved the thing to death. Drove it about 3k a month till it rusted to hell and I sold it. The -6 sportomatic is very different from an autostick, but uses similar control mechanism and diaphram. Everything else is different. Much beefier. The autostick can hold upto 100hp, whereas the sportomatic could reliably handle 200+ hp, and the late model three speeds even more. If anyone has a lead on a sportomatic 911, send it my way :-)

Charles Navarro
LN Engineering
http://www.LNengineering.com
Aircooled Precision Performance
redshift
QUOTE(1973914 @ Jan 8 2004, 03:06 PM)
i know someone with a real 6 sporto... Not sure if he would be selling it, although he might for the right price. Pretty clean too from what i remember. He also has a 6 with airconditioning (original).

No, the air is not factory original, it was added.

There's only one person that fits the description there...

M
actually i double checked with him (and no its not the doctor), and sporto was wrong, BUT there were two 6's that came with airconditioning from the factory, and he has one of them.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(acox914 @ Jan 8 2004, 02:29 PM)
whats the difference between Porsches "sportomatic" and Volkswagens "autostick" transmissions. they are effectively the same right?:

i think they are completely different. okay, i don't know as much about the 'ASS' as i thought i did.

the SportoMatic is a 4-speed (3-speed in later years) MANUAL transmission with a vacuum-operated clutch servo and an engine-oil operated torque convertor.

the R&P is interchangeable and was once a popular race-car mod due to its different gearing and higher strength.

there were no /4 Sportos, notwithstanding the photographs we've all seen in the Haynes. i've heard that there was that one engineering prototype that might be in Australia or New Zealand now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.