Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: more problems?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tagtmeyer914
this last weekend, i finally got my ecu. i set it up and expected it to fire up.
unfortunately no such luck. it has been sitting for roughly 4 years. ive added a couple gallons of fresh gas recently, in hopes to refresh the old. is a complete drain and refill required or should i look elsewhere. i have compression i have ignition and there was a gas smell which still didnt quite smell like fresh gas. it will sputter if gumout or gas is fed into the throttle body. also if this helps, stock 1.8 litre l-jet system.
SirAndy
QUOTE(tagtmeyer914 @ Jan 22 2008, 12:07 PM) *

this last weekend, i finally got my ecu. i set it up and expected it to fire up.
unfortunately no such luck. it has been sitting for roughly 4 years. ive added a couple gallons of fresh gas recently, in hopes to refresh the old. is a complete drain and refill required or should i look elsewhere. i have compression i have ignition and there was a gas smell which still didnt quite smell like fresh gas. it will sputter if gumout or gas is fed into the throttle body. also if this helps, stock 1.8 litre l-jet system.

4 years? you should drain the gastank, flush the lines and replace the fuel filter ...
shades.gif Andy
VaccaRabite
I agree with andy.

After 4 years, its probably not even gas any more. There is a fair chance that any line that had gas in it is now blocked with a little varnish.

Zach
tagtmeyer914
thanks for the input. it was probably a dumb question.
but to add to the one response i very recently replaced the fuel filter
is it still ok to use?
SirAndy
QUOTE(tagtmeyer914 @ Jan 22 2008, 12:21 PM) *

thanks for the input. it was probably a dumb question.
but to add to the one response i very recently replaced the fuel filter
is it still ok to use?

if you pumped bad gas through it, it's probably gunked up by now ...
shades.gif Andy
Cap'n Krusty
While the gas may be a problem, 1.8s have a dislike for ANY air leaks. Like, they won't start! Fix those first. Any bad vacuum hoses, injector seals, the TWO seals on the oil filler cap, as well as the gasket for the base, valve cover gaskets, pushrod tube seals, and the like. Then you want to make sure the injectors are working. The wire that triggers them is attached to the point side of the coil. It's white with a gray shielding. Tap it to ground with the key on and see if you can energize the injectors (which stand a pretty good chance of being stuck after sitting in dead fuel for 4 years). Lots more to check, but those things'll get you headed in the right direction.

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.