Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Quick Caliper Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
Through what year did the 911 have the "M" caliper?

Eric?
davep
I think about 1974 for the front. They say it was a mid-year 1975 change, but the A caliper pretty much replaced it for 1975.
The rear was also M caliper until about 1989, but it is different from the front M.
Jeff Hail
borrowed from the Bird

Identifying 911 front brakes and strut assemblies:
Front Struts:

Boge strut housings were standard equipment, and are the most common found on the 911. They are black (sometimes gray) in color, and used a standard hydraulic shock insert. The advantage of a Boge strut is that you can replace the shock insert with either Boge, Koni, Bilstein, KYB, or your favorite brand shock insert.

Koni strut housings were optional equipment on 911s through 77, and are identified by their red/orange color. Most Koni shock inserts were originally hydraulic, capable of being adjusted firmer or softer by removing the shock and manually adjusting the setting. Newer Koni replacement inserts are gas shocks with adjustment made by turning a knob at the top of the shock (taking only a few seconds to change the firmness).

Koni struts can only use a Koni shock insert.

Bilstein strut assemblies were optional equipment on the 911, and standard equipment on the 911 Turbo. They are identified by their green (sometimes yellow) color. Bilstein struts can only use Bilstein shock inserts.

Front Brakes:

M calipers. Stock, steel calipers for 911’s through 75. Caliper mounting bolt spacing on strut is about 3 inches. Figure 1 and Figure 2 show 'M' calipers installed on a car.

S calipers. Aluminum, larger calipers used on 911S and ‘S’ option cars through 77. Mounting bolt spacing on strut is about 3.5 inches. Cannot be put on ‘M’ caliper front end. Can be used on A caliper front end.

A calipers. Stock, steel calipers used on 75-83 911. Mounting bolt spacing on strut is about 3.5 inches (same as ‘S’ caliper). Carrera calipers were used on 911’s from 84-89, and accomodate a brake pad wear sensor. Figure 3, Figure 4, and Figure 5 show 'A' calipers from a 911SC front suspension.

All 911s through 89 used the same size front torsion bar (19mm). Note: The 914 torsion bar and the 911 torsion bars are not interchangeable, as the number of splines on the bar are different.

911 Rear Shocks and brakes:

Can usually be identified by color, although the brand is usually stamped on the lower section of the shock.

Black or gray: Boge

Green or yellow: Bilstein

Red/orange: Koni

White: KYB

Rear calipers were the same for 911’s from 69-83 (‘M’ type)

Rear calipers on 911’s 84-89 were Carrera type

Aaron Cox
alan, did you need a set?

I think i have some surplus on my shelf
Allan
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Jan 22 2008, 07:31 PM) *

alan, did you need a set?

I think i have some surplus on my shelf

Nah I'm good. Just doing a little research.

Thanks for the info...
Twystd1
Allan,

If you need a set of Ms.

I can go over to Aarons whilst he sleeps and sneak into his garage and borrow them for you on a permanent basis.

And I guarantee them to work or your money back.
Now how much money you ask....????

29.95 and they wont frag, peel, work, leak, stop or any other thing they are supposed to.

It's a steal...!!!!!

Twystd1

Dude. When ya coming down to OC and let me finish dialing in your carbs?
I would like another hour with them to get em perfect. I just got em close at the last gig. I was just trying to get it close so you could get home and have a driver. You still need to dial in each throat for sync. Unless you have already attented to it.
And I REALLY like your car. It's darn purdy. And a good runner.
C
jaybird840
So.... 3.5" Aluminum caliper = S?
TravisNeff
yes
Eric_Shea
M-Calipers appeared on the very first 911 in 1965/66 models. they did not have the 7mm spacers and believe it or not, those models would probably be a direct bolt on to an early 914 (70-72.5).

Later in 1967 the 911S received the first M-Caliper to have the spacers which is more common to the M-caliper we know and love today. They ran through 75 and some 76 cars had them as well. The 911S retained the M-Caliper until the 1969 model year when they received the S-Caliper. The S-Caliper ran through the 1976 930 production run and many made their way on some later cars.

Regarding the S-Caliper question; yes, "basically" any aluminum caliper you get your hands on will be an S-Caliper. There were 906/908 calipers etc. but, they probably won't be floating around on the open market these days. I will/do have a couple of sets of fully restored S-Calipers available soon. They will go in the $800 per pair range.

Clayton... hook me up! biggrin.gif
GrayMatter
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 24 2008, 03:54 PM) *

M-Calipers appeared on the very first 911 in 1965/66 models. they did not have the 7mm spacers and believe it or not, those models would probably be a direct bolt on to an early 914 (70-72.5).
...snip...

OK Eric - Where does one track down a set of the 65/66 front M calipers? i'm working on upgrading the front brakes on my '71. Found 67-75 are redily available and not too expensive.

Cheers!
GM
=======================
1995 Porsche 993 - Daily driver
1971 Porsche 914 - Project Car
My project site - GrayMatter.DE
Eric_Shea
I've got some...they are "yellow"
GrayMatter
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 21 2008, 08:24 PM) *

I've got some...they are "yellow"

"yellow"? As in yellow zinc plated? care to part with them? =)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.