Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Do any 912's come with carbs?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rick 918-S
I heard about a 912 for sale cheap locally. The guy told me one of the carbs needs work.... I'm thinking this must have had the F.I. removed.... Weren't all these F.I. like 914's or were the early ones carbed?
Dave_Darling
The first series of 912s (66-69, maybe some 65s?) were 911 bodies with 356 engines. Paired dual-throat Solex carbs, IIRC.

They revived the 912 monicker in 1976 with the 2100-car run of the 912E, this time with the 2.0 914 engine with L-jet EFI.

So the early 912s came with carbs, yes. I like the looks of that earlier body style better than the "short-hood" 74+ body anyway. smile.gif

--DD
rick 918-S
Thanks Dave, I haven't seen the car yet. Just heard about it from a friend that knows a guy that heard of a car etc.... Who knows, up here in the rust belt it could be half a car by now.
rhodyguy
stick a set of reworked webers on it and you're good to go.
Dave_Darling
Or stick the engine you yanked out of our 914 in there... smile.gif

--DD
rick 918-S
I have two bullets under the work bench... shades.gif
2-OH!
Rick:

Currently rebuilding a 68 912 myself...Dubious history car, but...It has Weber 40 IDF's on it...Just had them rebuilt by the guys in Salt Lake City (Air Cooled Engineering)...They look brand new...Can't wait to complete the motor and get em' fired up...

But, I was amazed at the difference between the quality and detail of the engine cases...The VW one looks like it was poured into a paper mache mold and removed before it was hard...The Porsche one is detailed and well finished...

I actually like this 912 as much or more than the 914...Don't tell anyone I said that...

2-OH!
70Sixter
[quote name='Dave_Darling' date='Jan 24 2008, 10:50 AM' post='990022']
Or stick the engine you yanked out of our 914 in there... smile.gif
--DD/quote]

I thought the 411/412 engines rotated the opposite of the 912?

And I think the 69 body with the longer wheelbase and slight flares is the best version.
davep
QUOTE(70Sixter @ Jan 24 2008, 12:43 PM) *

I thought the 411/412 engines rotated the opposite of the 912?

I don't think so. The 411 engine is the same as the 914/4 engine and the 911 engine is interchangeable with a 914/4 as far as engine rotation. Jake builds type IV's for 356, 912 and bugs so I'd say the VW & Porsche engines all rotate the same way. At least as far as air-cooled ones are concerned.
Cap'n Krusty
All VW and Porsche engines turn clockwise, IIRC. Corvairs turn the other way. The Cap'n
SLITS
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jan 24 2008, 03:21 PM) *

All VW and Porsche engines turn clockwise, IIRC. Corvairs turn the other way. The Cap'n

And they have rubber main bearings ***

***Long ago and far away, a supplier tech person posted that ..... Hi Jason!

912 ... Solex PII - 40s
jim912928
I restored (30 years ago) a 66 912. Had to rebuild the engine and they really are well engineered 4's. Thing ran/handled great. I miss that car!

And as Mike said above, the 68 and older 911's/912's had a shorter wheelbase...so, rear suspension, body panels etc are not interchangealbe with the 69+ models.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.