Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Finally Finished Project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jd74914
Hey guys.

I’ve been posting for a few years and have only occasionally put up pictures of my 914 since it has been in great disarray for about 5 years. When I got it, my Dad and I planned to replace the clutch/PP/TOB and run it. The owner told us that the clutch had started slipping so bad that she couldn’t drive it and so she parked it. First it was inside, but then she lost garage space and it had sat outside for the 6 months or so before we had gotten to it.

The car wouldn’t start, but seemed to be in pretty good shape and had an excellent interior so I bought it (for an excellent price too). When I got it home we got it running and then I proceeded to strip the car and look for rust. It turned out there was a bit more rust that I had imagined and most of it was hidden. There were some amazing bondo sculpted door handle recesses and roll bar bases. Besides the all of the fenders had rust lurking below the paint, a lot of the bottom had rusted off and in general a lot of metal needed to be replaced. Oddly enough, the battery box was pretty solid and the hell-hole only needed a few hours of work.

After learning to weld and fixing a lot of metal, the engine was rebuilt back to stock specs. It’s a 1.8 with L-jet. Eventually I plan on swapping a /6 in as we will eventually have a spare 2.4 laying around (my Dad’s 911 is getting an original 2.2E that was actually imported from Germany and matches his grey market car). The tranny was resealed, and I put a new clutch/PP/TOB/flywheel in. In addition to the driveline work the gas tank was redone and the master cylinder was replaced.

The car was my high school senior project and so I had wanted it to run well (that’s why I rebuilt the engine before finishing the body). The first time the engine was lit was actually while being loaded onto the trailer to bring it to the senior project demonstration night. laugh.gif It was a big hit there, and as expected only a few people knew what it was. One guy came up and did tell me that he and a friend used to build /6’s in the ‘70s!

Anyways, so now it was back to the body work. I worked a lot over that summer and didn’t have much time for the car but I did manage to finish most of the remaining metalwork. Fast forward to spring break last year and the rear fenders were pie-cut for flaring and metal was added in. They were flared about 1.5”. That summer I finished prepping the body, bought a good compressor and guns, and taught myself how to paint.

The original color of the car was signal orange, and I didn’t really care for that so I spent some time looking for another color. I decided on Summer Yellow since I wanted a bright color that fit the car’s personality. Per recommendation of the paint shop guys I decided to use PPG Concept 2 paint, and I did really like how it turned out. The paint looks like glass and reflects everything. Its even to bright to take pictures of in full sun; my camera can’t handle it. laugh.gif

After paint all of the trim looked rather tired so I repainted as many of the exterior pieces as possible and polished the rest. Then she was reassembled. Right now she just needs a new windshield and she’ll be ready to run. biggrin.gif Hopefully I’ll be on the road by this year’s spring break. driving.gif

It's really a great feeling to know that I have done everything on the car. Now my two brothers and I are starting on a second one. huh.gif

Anyways, sorry for the long post and here are some pictures from the process.

James

The start . . .
Click to view attachment

A little more stripped int he new garage . . .
Click to view attachment

Engine rebuild . . .
jd74914
Engine in the car. Note: I purposely painted the engine compartment green. The interior and both trunks are green too. I was going for the Piech look with different colors, and was going to do it in purple, but no one else like that. Wonder why? dry.gif
Click to view attachment

Some of the rust. This part actually wasn't too bad to fix laugh.gif
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

jd74914
The new garage was a godsend laugh.gif
Click to view attachment

The flares were done in using this technique.
Click to view attachment

Root_Werks
Sweet! Another saved 914! Well done! driving.gif Now go drive it. driving.gif
jd74914
Now it's time for paint. My hard drive crashed so I lost the total primer pictures, but here is one in partial primer.
Click to view attachment

The paint turned out pretty good for a first timer I think. smile.gif
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
jd74914
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Jan 24 2008, 04:25 PM) *

Sweet! Another saved 914! Well done! driving.gif Now go drive it. driving.gif

Thanks Dan. smile.gif

Here is a painted flare and the finished pictures.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

And last but not least . . .
Click to view attachment
tdgray
Great Job Jim... WTG
jd74914
Thanks TD. Yours, Doug H's and Dan Jauch's (?) threads were my biggest inspirations. smile.gif
Allan
Nice work...

Looks great!!! thumb3d.gif
Rotary'14
Your car looks wonderful! You have a good reason to be VERY proud.

Good Job!!

-Rob
jonferns
Hey man, looks great. What are you doing for a trunk release?
ChrisFoley
clap56.gif
Looks great Jim!
i love porsche
looks awesome! great job
Katmanken
Any more details on the side air intakes??????

Ken
Spoke
Your car looks excellent. Nice job all round. I love the yellow color. My first car, a 74 Dodge Colt (Mitsubishi) was yellow.

Spoke
PeeGreen 914
beer.gif Looks great
Chevota79
for the paint i noticed a brush and a can sitting next to the car did you brush it on. thinning out the paint with mineral spirits i have seen this done other places and if this is what you did it seemed to turn out really well.
Any Tips.

Josh
TeenerTim
So there may be hope after all? Congrats. smilie_pokal.gif Now that thing out of the snow.
jd74914
Josh,
That was actually some body filler. I sprayed it with a Devilbliss gun. smile.gif

Ken,
There were on there when I got it, and the give the car a rather distinctive look so I left them on. No one came figure out where they came from though. When it gets a /6 an oil cooler will probably find an air duct from one of them. smile.gif

Jon,
The trunk opens with an electric pull solenoid wired to a hidden switch under the dash.

We've now started on 914 #2. With three people we're hoping to get it on the road by next year.

Thanks everyone biggrin.gif bye1.gif
brer
beer.gif
Chevota79
My mistake the paint looks great though
Bartlett 914
Nice job.

Now that the car is yellow, can you tell if it is actually faster? biggrin.gif
jd74914
Its much faster Mark (not that I would ever test drive an unregistered car) . . . I can even push this car faster than I could when it was red. laugh.gif
TINCAN914
Nice job!!
Congrats, Enjoy!!! beerchug.gif
spare time toys
QUOTE(kwales @ Jan 24 2008, 07:00 PM) *

Any more details on the side air intakes??????

Ken

They almost look like ones off a late 70s firebird/ camaro front fenders only mounted backwards. idea.gif
Lou W
Looks great, now just don't get it dirty. smile.gif
rebelmdot
beerchug.gif Congratulations!

I have owned a 1976 2.0 since 1994, it was my daily driver until 1997 and then a weekend car. An electrical problem took it down and I did not know anything about fixing cars (mechanical or electrical). It sat from 1999 until about a month ago, and I am now embarking on the same journey that you have completed. I hope that my results are as good as yours. Good luck on No. 2.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.