Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cylinder rings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LongARM
maybe someone can help me out. I ordered in new cylinder rings for a 1972 1.7L.
The rings i received are 9.9cm across, and the original ones are 10.4 cm. Did i identify the heads wrong or are these the wrong rings.???

.... chair.gif
davep
Are you talking piston rings? Bore size of a 1.7 is 90mm.
Or are you talking the cylinder base rings that go under the cylinders on the engine case? I should have some of those available.
Cylinder to head gaskets are generally not used anymore.
LongARM
between the heads and the top of the cylinder. I would call it a head gasket but pelican calls them cylinder rings.
SLITS
Do a search here .... as Davep said " they are not used". Cap'n Krusty may chime in with the VW Tech Notice that was issued saying not to use them (and then again, he may just get crusty and not post).
LongARM
thanks, i hope Jake or Mark Henry(if he still drops by) would comment.I am waiting to put things back together. welder.gif
davep
You want Jake's word on head gaskets?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=35718
LongARM
Pelican support solved the problem, 9.9 cm are for a 1.7L and 10.4 cm are for a 1.8L.
The engine code on the case is for a 1.7L so the heads must have been changed at some time.
Thanks for your help though
beerchug.gif
LongARM
Now i'm confused...
Engine case is EA031575 = 1.7L
Head Number is 021 101 371J = 1.7L
Piston is 96mm across top
...????
davep
Can you say big bore 1911cc?
Now, were the heads modified for the big cylinders. What is the outside diameter of the cylinder where it seats on the head. If the head has been machined for the 1.8 / 2.0 size, then the cylinders are the good ones. If the heads are still stock, then the cylinders are probably very thin wall at the head; not desirable. Still, that is a pretty nice displacement increase, so someone did some work on the engine. Are the valves the stock size? Any idea if the cam was replaced? That engine # looks original for the car. You have carbs on that, correct?
LongARM
Hi Dave, the outside of cylinder seating area is 10.4 cm. It appears that the heads have been machined out to 10.4, i ordered cylinder sealing rings for a stock 1.7L head at 9.9 cm. Hence the error, not Pelicans fault. Yes 40 idf Webers.
Twystd1
TOSS the rings.

What cam/lifter combo and what pistons ya running...???????
LongARM
Don't know any details of pistons, cylinders or cam. Pistons are flat on top, cylinders appear to be iron(rusty on outside fins). I assumed it was stock 1.7L till i measured the cylinder and head dimensions.. HHmmmmm
...surprise ...
piratenanner.gif
Sleepin
Nice Suprise! If only most suprises involved finding out you had a bigger displacement than you thought!!!
LongARM
Thanks for all the input, i am going to install the sealing rings back into the heads.
I tore it down for a leak at #4 cylinder, overall clean-up redo-ing all o-rings and gaskets. Painting all engine tin, new distributor(Unilite) , new clutch and rebuilding starter.
... i am a refrigeration mechanic not an engine builder Jim.
beer3.gif

beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.