Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recomended Oil
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gasman
It's a simple question but tried to search and couldn't find an answer. My 1976 manuel says to use SAE 30- API specs "SD or SE". Tried to buy this and found out no one has it. Does anyone know what Porsche has to say and if there was a bulletin issued for the correct oil to use in todays market. Thanks...
davep
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=367300

Brad Penn
ConeDodger
agree.gif Brad Penn...

I just bought a case from Charles Navaro. There are closer dealers but Charles did the actual research that everyone else cites when they make recommendations. He is a Porsche guy and a member here. For that reason, I bought from him. Out of appreciation for his efforts I suppose.
gasman
QUOTE(davep @ Jan 25 2008, 11:36 AM) *

Thanks for the help.....Looks like Ive got some reading to do....I'm sure after I read everything, I'll be more confused,,,,,
p914
Make it easy on yourself, we had long threads about oil a few months ago.

Brad Penn 20-50
It has all the right stuff needed by the type 4
gasman
I just ordered my case,,,thanks for the help guys
chris914
I have a case of Brad Penn breakin oil. Is there a problem running it in a motor that is all ready broken in? It just has higher zinc, correct?
Twystd1
Chris,

I THINK most break in oils have almost ZERO detergents. This keeps the assembly lube on the moving parts far longer than detergent oil would. This allows the engine to have a better chance of break in than using a detergent oil.

Therefore break in oil is for just break in. Not for year around use on a street car.

The above data comes from memory of one of Jakes threads.
I didn't know this till he explained it to us on one of his oil / break in threads.

If I have mis-spoke. He should be along soon to straighten me out.

C
SLITS
QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Jan 25 2008, 02:10 PM) *

He should be along soon to straighten me out.
C

One of the foremost impossible tasks on the planet.
Twystd1
Ahhh Haw....!!!!!!

The plot thickens....................................

C
yarin
I'm going to order a case of Brad Penn 20w50 from LN Engineering, is this the correct weigh? I never drive the car below 32F, really only use it for track events and autocross. I've been using Castrol GTX 10W30 for 2-3 years. Next month I'm going to get my oil temp sensor working in addition to monitoring oil pressure. Is 20w50 the correct weight for my application?

In addition, i'm thinking about switching the oil on my Yukon from 5W30 to 0W30 since the reviews are so great. Is 0W30 too thin for year round use? I live in the northeast, close to nyc.
Cap'n Krusty
Don't be too hasty to switch to 0w30. It works fine in engines specifically designed for it, but it's too thin for those that weren't. You might also want to look at your owners manual. The newer cars I work on want thicker oil for sustained high speed driving, and for hotter weather. However, I don't work on no steenkin chebbies, so I can't tell you for sure. The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.