Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jug Removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rebelmdot
I am new to board, and tearing down 1976 2.0. Having trouble with getting jugs off, any assistance would be appreciated. I guess I will be doing as much as I can and then end up calling Jake!! headbang.gif
SLITS
If you can't slide the barrels off the studs you have a big problem.

Has the engine been sitting for a long time?

Has it ingested copius amounts of water?

Did the crank turn thru 360 degrees?

Twystd1
AFTER pulling all the nuts off the heads. Then removing the heads.

You can tap the cylinders with a rubber mallet back and forth till they come loose. A propane torch on the block can help sometimes if someone used a hard glue like sealant to glue the jugs in.

You can also squirt the base of the cylinders with PB Blaster to break down the sealant. Let sit over night. Tap and pull.

In a worst case scenario. Curse at em... it works for me.

By the way... Buy the Jake video if you are going to continue down this path. It make it all that much easier to do.

C
benalishhero
Sounds like rings are stuck to jugs.

Secure the jugs and turn the motor over to free them up.

Or dead blow them off.
Dr Evil
Um, did you remove the air guides under the cylinders? I have been hung up on those before wink.gif Make sure all the tin is removed from under the cylinder as it will hold them fast.
rebelmdot
QUOTE(rebelmdot @ Jan 25 2008, 04:14 PM) *

I am new to board, and tearing down 1976 2.0. Having trouble with getting jugs off, any assistance would be appreciated. I guess I will be doing as much as I can and then end up calling Jake!! headbang.gif

Just got home from work. Have Coors Light, Rubber Mallet, and knowledge that you passed along to me. I actually ordered Vol 8 from Jake, but it has not arrived yet. Thank you for the responses. Stay tuned, I will have many more.
Jake Raby
If you had my video you'd know exactly how to pull them off !!!

But we'll help even if you don't :-)
rebelmdot
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jan 26 2008, 12:57 AM) *

If you had my video you'd know exactly how to pull them off !!!

But we'll help even if you don't :-)

It is bought and paid for and hopefully on the way. I will be in touch soon to let you know which engine I want!! Your website makes me feel like a kid in a candy store or a bull in a china shop, I am not sure which yet. Thank you for the pics on your site, I do not think that I would have gotten this far without them. Any way, all four jugs off, but I am tired as it is 2 am here.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.