Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: POR 15 Q?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914ghost
Hi guys,
I have a feeling about the answer to this, but I like opinions/experience...
POR 15 is great, but my battery tray while pretty darn solid has some corrosion (that isnt compromising structural integrity) w/ surface rust.
Can I POR15 right over the corrosion, or should I neutralize the battery acid corrosion first?
And if so, what have people had best luck with that (1) I can apply easily in the garage (without having to drive the car through 3 feet of snow somewhere) and (2) without removing the engine AND (3) wont keep the POR 15 from sticking?
DuckRyder
*I* would hit it with a wire brush, marine clean, metal ready, Por15, then top coat it with a high quality top coat.

A "starter" kist should have what you need in it, less the high quality top coat.

I don't see how neutralizing it with baking soda prior to all this could hurt, the marine clean should remove any remaineing soda.
DuckRyder
OH yeah, IT WORKS!!!!!!! wub.gif wub.gif
Bruce Allert
agree.gif with the neutralization of the acid. I did an experiment where I wirebrushed all rust off some plumbing parts then coated with POR 15. The experiment: on half of the parts I lightly took off the flaking rust but not down to clean metal then Por 15'd them. It's been 6 months, no rust has returned on any of the parts and they get soaked with detergent and high salinity water daily. It's good shit Man smilie_pokal.gif

..........b
914ghost
I figured as much, the car is in storage now, I'll get to it as soon as I collect all the parts for the interior, sandblast bumpers/valences for paint.. etc etc..
Now that my tiny garage is empty I can work on my OTHER project:
ChrisReale
QUOTE(914ghost @ Jan 7 2004, 10:30 PM)
I can work on my OTHER project:

How dare you blasphem smile.gif
914werke
Im supprised more teener owners dont RIDE!
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Jan 8 2004, 08:20 AM)
Im supprised more teener owners dont RIDE!

When the weather is nice, I do!
IPB Image

As to POR15, get the starter kit. Has enough to do the whole pan of a VW Type 3 cool.gif I would definitely recommend cleaning the area first and then follow the instructions. Do the job right the first time. If you want a half-assed job then send it to a mechanic.
DuckRyder
Mee too.

IPB Image

And the oil was here when I moved in, it looks a lot better now after lots of cleaning.
914ghost
psssh...you probably never even use 6th gear on that thing (legally)!
I know I know! I've seen your Avatar!
Go ahead, rub it in some more!
jfort
Check this out: Eastwood's product versus POR 15. Any thoughts or experience?

http://www.eastwood.com/RustvsPOR.asp
F4i
Me and Mine
Evill Ed
I rides too!!

Ed

BTW- POR 15 WORKS !!
TheCabinetmaker
wow, its a yamachopper laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.