Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What to do with $1000
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
I can't afford a $$$$ motor or rebuild, so I'm going to work on it myself. I've got an idea, but would like to hear from the PRO'S.
1.8 '74 daily driver 60K Miles

beer.gif What can I spend $1000 on to build a better motor and get better kick than the 79 HP it has now?
bandjoey
Ahhhhhh Come On Guys,,,Help me spend my money!
ConeDodger
What is wrong with the motor? No idea what you could spend your money on unless we know and more importantly you know what your goal is...
bandjoey
It's been sitting since 1984 and it's got 79 HP and about 69K miles. Turns freely by hand and oil is still good looking...Starter turns it over easily with plugs in but havn't really tried to start the car. I've have all the usual in new fuel/vac lines and hoses points, plugs, spark wires, and injectors...the usual outside the motor parts that have to be replaced.

That's all I know until I get it out of the car and apart. $1K is my budget for parts and what can be added to help it go on down the road. I'm going to put it on an engine stand and with help, do a simple rebuild, adding whatever new and better parts that'll help the performance.

Thanks Rob for any advice!
degreeoff
Buy my scat c-25 cam + solid lifters($75 beer.gif ) buy a set of used webers (ebay @ $400 or so) and a set of big bore jugs/pistons (QSC??EB racing? @ $400 or so) gasket set and that should be about a grand and an east 110 hp @ the flywheel... OR spend the money on new rings and the rest on suspension upgrades....enjoy what you have and make it do what it can in the twisties (prob the best route IMHO)

Just a guess
McMark
Errrr..... Buy a good running 2.0 would probably be my only advice. If you can find one that cheap. Or you could throw some 96mm pistons and a cam in the 1.8 and build a 1911 on the cheap.
yenningComity
If the motor runs strong once you start it up. I say put the money into your suspension. Reliability, cheap, and more power never all go together.
bandjoey
Thanks Degreeoff, I'm adding you to my list of people to talk to. I figure on putting about another $1k into the body and suspension. Your blog on the rebuild I'll be looking over . Have you seen anything like that for a T4?

Some people have said I should be looking for a used 2.0 and sell the 1.8? Details...Details...Details...I'm on thought overload for Saturday night.
G e o r g e
if your engine is running good put your money into your exhaust

buy a tangerine header that you will be able to use on your next engine when you can afford it

SGB
bilsteins or konis.
euro911
Do a compression check and leak-down test before you yank your current engine out. If it's OK, keep driving it and buy a bigger (project) engine to build up confused24.gif
So.Cal.914

Or you could throw some 96mm pistons and a cam in the 1.8 and build a 1911 on the cheap.

I agree with McMark, If you can turn the engine easly by hand with the plugs in

then at least put a set of P&C's, 96's would be great. But first I would get it

running and listen to the bottom end, check your oil preasure, see what happens

when it gets hot. If the whole engine is trashed, look for a good used 2.0.

Ohand welcome to the jungle...Click to view attachment
sww914
I'm more concerned about the brakes than the engine at this point. If the car's been sitting for 24 years you'll be spending there, too.
euro911
I missed the 'sitting since '1984' confused24.gif

You're absolutely right. Brake inspection/fix/upgrade should always be the first chore on the list.

When we acquired my wife's '71, it had the original brake hoses. They were real mushy and leaking. The M/C and calipers checked out fine. $40. for new hoses, $45. for new pads & ? for new fluid ... and smile.gif
degreeoff
QUOTE(yenningComity @ Jan 26 2008, 09:33 PM) *

If the motor runs strong once you start it up. I say put the money into your suspension. Reliability, cheap, and more power never all go together.

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jan 26 2008, 09:45 PM) *

Thanks Degreeoff, I'm adding you to my list of people to talk to. I figure on putting about another $1k into the body and suspension. Your blog on the rebuild I'll be looking over . Have you seen anything like that for a T4?

Some people have said I should be looking for a used 2.0 and sell the 1.8? Details...Details...Details...I'm on thought overload for Saturday night.

Ok I agree with the 1st quote, as for the second (yours) what do you mean for the type IV? you mean pistons/cylinders? carbs? cam? rings?

Here is a link for pistons @ EBS
http://www.ebsracing.com/RenderScriptTempl...entid=ebsracing
Here is a link for CURRENT porsche carbs (40mm would be best)
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?f...&category0=
And a cam you will need to make power withe the carbs....my 2000 mile scat with solid lifters would work fine or you could go a bit more radical up to you?

Now it is a long debate over carbs and FI...do a search and you will see. I personally didnt have the patience to dick with the FI and prefered being able to understand my car.....(in hindsight the FI isnt that tough) but again I had carbs on mine and even forgot to tighten one carb down one time and ran it until I was a ways away from home with one carb haning off almost (loose as hell!!) but went back and saw the issue tightened it up with a pair of pliers and got home....(thats pretty much monkey simple and stupid reliable if you ask me) now milage sucked but it was an occasional driver.

If you go radical with the cam (say a step above the C-25 scat) then you will NEED carbs as the FI will not keep up (I believe)
Gint
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jan 26 2008, 09:36 PM) *

It's been sitting since 1984 and it's got 79 HP and about 69K miles. Turns freely by hand and oil is still good looking...Starter turns it over easily with plugs in but havn't really tried to start the car. I've have all the usual in new fuel/vac lines and hoses points, plugs, spark wires, and injectors...the usual outside the motor parts that have to be replaced.

Sitting since 84?!?!?!?! idea.gif

You're going to have plenty of things to spend money on just getting a 914 driving that's been sitting for over 20 years. Get the thing started up and go through the brakes, replace the fuel (after cleaning out the tank), etc...

Oh, and, welcome.png
bandjoey
Such a great crowd to hang with. This money is only for the motor. I've got another grand for brakes, shocks, seals, etc. I've got a new set of injectors and all the vac/gas lines onhand. Blasted the gas tank, and all the outside stuff like lights etc onhand too.

I like the idea of testing the motor for leakdown and compression and getting this one running and then save up for a better motor. There's a 914 DFW group starting to form with ideas of a 914 track event and other stuff here and I don't want to sit on the sidelines too long. icon_bump.gif

Preciate all the ideas. B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.