Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What goop did they use to seal the engine?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr Evil
I had my /6 top end assembled by a shop and I am not sure what they used to seal the parts. The cylinders are sealed with some black stuff that I am guessing is Yamabond or some similar stuff. The cam housing was sealed with a silver compound of which I have no idea. I am interested in putting it back together so it is a leak proof as before. Ideas? recommendations?
rick 918-S
I would venture to say the Silver is Yamabond. I really like that stuff. The black could be Curtis something or other.... Can't think of the exact number. Also Porsche uses Locktite 574 for cases. It's wierd stuff.

BTW: I sealed an active (pressurized) oil leak on my 928 engine once with Yamabond. Cleaned it with brake clean, smeared it on, let it set over night. Bam! fixed.

One of my sons friends fixed a cracked BMW oil pan the same way. Oil won't loosen it once it's set.
Dr Evil
I sealed the case halves with Loctite 574. I didnt do the top end as I had finals at the time (poor excuse wink.gif ). This time I am doing it my self.
degreeoff
Hey doc I just finished mine piece of cake (I used yamabond...good shit man smoke.gif) the cylinders are a no seal for mine as it was not needed IMHO and by the folks on the bird board....( base gaskets I presume? )
Dr. Roger
didn't yamabond used to be yellow? like freaky looking snot?

3M's version here....
http://www.3mestore.com/60980024073.html

degreeoff
I can vouch for the stuf I just bought as being grey now.......
sean_v8_914
tribond 1104
its grey, semi hardening to gummy firm. it has awesome surface adhesion, looks good, good chem and vibration resistance

yamabond is very good also
Dr Evil
Tribond is white. I have some already.
sean_v8_914
is it the 1104 flavor? did you like it? mine has always been light grey. started using it in 1990
PeeGreen 914
I am glad to hear you guys using something different than Locktite. I know it is what they used from the factory, but you ever notice how much those leak wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.