Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT: car lift
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
alpha434
My two car garage isn't quite deep enough for a lift to clear the garage door in an open position. And I'm putting a lift in there anyway I can. But it would be REALLY nice if I can get an additional storage spot when I go to it.

Any ideas?

welder.gif
Wilhelm
QUOTE(alpha434 @ Jan 27 2008, 07:30 PM) *

My two car garage isn't quite deep enough for a lift to clear the garage door in an open position. And I'm putting a lift in there anyway I can. But it would be REALLY nice if I can get an additional storage spot when I go to it.

Any ideas?

welder.gif

Change to a rollup door or put track extensions on the track so the door rises all the way to the ceiling before it starts moving horizontal.
alpha434
Hmmm.... Track extensions sounds like the best idea aesthetically. I hate the way the roll ups look and insulate.

The problem with the extensions is that the garage door is offset at an angle from the rest of the building. Totally weird, but it's so that the door points towards the master bedroom window. But instead of offsetting the whole wall, they just did a little extension from the rest of the building, and it's only sized to fit the garage door.

Is it possible to set the track at less than 90 degrees? so that when retracted, the door goes towards the ceiling?
alpha434
Scratch that. joist'll be in the way.

Roll ups. Double wide.
Borderline
How about on of them thar industrial type roll ups that roll up into a tube? Leaves a whole lotta room for other stuff.
PeeGreen 914
Barn door style doors. You can even make those open with an opener and they can look very cool with a brick house. They would insulate well too.
Sleepin
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Jan 27 2008, 11:43 PM) *

Barn door style doors. You can even make those open with an opener and they can look very cool with a brick house. They would insulate well too.

I love barn style garage doors! Looks very classy and traditional IMO! yellowsleep[1].gif
Sparky
If it really doesn't fit... well hook a brother up!! I'm sure it'll fit in my garage. biggrin.gif
r_towle
Is this a height issue?
If so, what is the dimensions of the problem, how close to the ceiling are the current tracks?

There are very low cost and simple solutions for garage doors that need to go all the way up against the ceiling.
Call a local garage door installer and have him come look at the problem. He will be able to provide you with hardware that is not normally off the shelf at Home depot.

Rich
carr914
I have a Overhead Door brand roll-up door. It has a Hurricane rating and a friend that is in the Fire Dept says they hate these, which I take as a Plus. After awhile you get used to it and it looks Ok.
Here is a picture and the roll-up "tube" is in the background.
T.C.
jd74914
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Jan 28 2008, 06:57 AM) *

QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Jan 27 2008, 11:43 PM) *

I love barn style garage doors! Looks very classy and traditional IMO! yellowsleep[1].gif

They don't work so well when its snowy out and you don't want to clear a path for the door before going to work. Other than that . . . smile.gif
Wanna9146
You can do a "Faux" paint-job on the roll-up door to make it look a little more "residential". A good painter can paint realistic-looking windows, decorative hinges, architectural designs that, when viewed from the street, will fool the eye. Up-close it will still look like a roll-up, but who cares? At least you'll have your lift...and that's all that is important, no?
rhodyguy
chris, what is the measurement from the floor to the bottom of the joists? sometimes a set high lift tracks aren't the solution. if you have a ceiling mounted opener that will dictate your overall clearance.

k
mskala
My problem was no more ceiling height, and with 2 single garage doors the 914 would be hitting the opener. Well, 914 is only 'tall' in the middle, so I moved the opener 2 feet toward the door, shortened chain and guide. (Door opens only 5'10" now, which is my height biggrin.gif ). But now the opener is over the engine bay and 914 can go up to the rafters.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.