Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: shuddering
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mattp
when cold I get a massive shudder in first gear when starting out. Anyone have any ideas? after its warm it get slightly less and no shudder in other gears?
thanks, matt
degreeoff
sounds like a slipping messed up clutch... try adjusting then see?
r_towle
Warped flywheel or pressure plate.

Rich
slackin' at work
QUOTE(mattp @ Jan 28 2008, 02:39 PM) *

when cold I get a massive shudder in first gear when starting out. Anyone have any ideas? after its warm it get slightly less and no shudder in other gears?
thanks, matt

also warn engine or trans mounts.

as you can see, there are many possibilities.
I too have a slight shutter in mine. I think it's an slipping clutch disc in mine.
Ive adjusted it but haven't taken it out on the road yet to see if that was the ticket.

good luck. beer.gif
McMark
I've got a $25 bet that your engine mounts need replacement.
jasons
I had that problem on my old 914. When I pulled the transaxle to check the clutch, my pilot bearing was MIA for some reason. I fixed that and I may have done tranny mounts at the same time, but the problem went away.
Joe Ricard
Oiled up clutch from either engine main seal or tranaxle input shaft seal.
mattp
i WAS THINKING ENGINE MOUNTS, THINK i READ SOEWHERE THAT THEY GOAND THIS IS WHAT HEPPENS WHEN THEY DO GO. aNYONE KNOW HOW TO CHECK?
I can check clutch cable later, its fairly new so may be stretching. thanks
So.Cal.914
agree.gif
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Jan 28 2008, 01:23 PM) *

Oiled up clutch from either engine main seal or tranaxle input shaft seal.

mattp
so how can I clean up the oil on the clutch?
Dave_Darling
Replace the clutch disk if it's got oil on it.

If the engine is going "WHAM WHAM WHAM WHAM" in 1st gear and the car is shuddering, it's the motor mounts. If the gear shift lever moves around a bunch under hard braking, it's the motor mounts.

If you can jack up the engine a couple of inches without the motor mount bar moving, it's the motor mounts.

My personal guess is....

--DD
McMark
If you can jack up the engine a couple of inches without the motor mount bar moving, it's the motor mounts.

agree.gif That's the easy way.
IronHillRestorations
An easy way to check the engine mounts is to open the engine bay, put the emergency brake on, and have someone watch the engine as you slowly let out the clutch. If you can see the engine raise up alot, then the mounts are bad.
mattp
oh great, now I gotta adjust the emergency brake!, but before I do that I gotta... and so the story goes.
thanks everyone
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.