Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 in the snow?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mightyohm
With a good set of snowtires, how does well does a 914 perform in the snow?

I'm guessing the bigger problem is the salt used to clear the roads corroding the chassis?
r_towle
Everyday, I will post a pic.
Any dedicated SNOW tire is awesome on a 914.
The salt eats these cars for breakfast.

Rich
SirAndy
QUOTE(jkeyzer @ Jan 28 2008, 06:30 PM) *

With a good set of snowtires, how does well does a 914 perform in the snow?

about as good as the driver! biggrin.gif

it'll perform exceptionally well with a driver who feels comfortable driving in the snow.

if you are afraid of snow, or think you'll need 4 wheel drive to drive through a few inches of powder, you'll be better off leaving the 914 at home ...
shades.gif Andy

Click to view attachment
grantsfo
Tires make all the difference in the world. Good snow tires make a fair car excellent to drive in the snow. A 914 with fairly good weight distribution over rear tires makes it an OK car for traction. FWD and AWD cars hold a bit of an advantage. I have driven up to tahoe many times in my 914's with no issue.

Biggest issue is do you want to abuse your vintage 914 in the snow? Beyond chemicals used, snow and moisture accumulate on the car and only speed corrosion.
swl
A clarification if I can. NOT snow tires - those are what we used back in the 70's. Big lug tires that got you through drifting snow. Not worth a crap on dry pavement or ice. Today we talk about a WINTER tire. Soft compound, lots of high tech tricks to evacuate water, not snow. Have a look here:

http://wheels.ca/article/167045

Grant is right - winter corrosion will kill your car unless you've dipped it POR or something like that. It is not just the salt. Condensation, particularly inside the longs where it goes from cold to warm quickly, will kill your car. See my sig. My car spent most of it's life in Victoria BC - no salt there at all (other than a little in the air from time to time) it rotted worse there than it would have in Edmonton (frigid cold there in winter). The reason is condensation.
grantsfo
Yep. When my cars were street cars I was so fanatical about moisture I never washed my car and never drove my last street going 914 in the rain. California duster and wax only. When I lost my garage I knew days of concourse car were over and I turned my car into a race car - at least with race car I can get to rusty places and fix stuff.

I just cant see driving a 914 to snow now. I guess I could get away with it now as my house in Alpine meadows has a heated garage.
swl
don't go there Gant! Heated then cold = condensation. Stick to your principals smile.gif
Trevorg7
I'm guessing the bigger problem is the salt used to clear the roads corroding the chassis?

Try getting the engine hot enough to get heat to the cab...buurrrrrrr

T
r_towle
dont upshift...keep it revving...works fine in 10 degree weather.

rich
euro911
idea.gif
chris914
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jan 28 2008, 08:50 PM) *

idea.gif

I like it!
flippa
I used to drive my first one in the snow all the time. Definitely need good snow tires. It was fun as hell!!!! I didn't worry about the salt or weather eating the car; the poor thing already had holes in the longs when I got it back in 1986. It was just cheap, fun transportation & one hell of an upgrade from the bug. Drove that car year round till I killed it.

I even had a factory ski rack and would take it up to NH skiing all the time. Heat worked OK. Only drawback was when it snowed all day while we were skiing. It sucked driving home in deep snow.
So.Cal.914
smile.gif

Click to view attachment
euro911
How did I know that was coming Paul laugh.gif

'Teenerboggon'
So.Cal.914
biggrin.gif Teenerboggan...I like it.
euro911
Toboggan

A toboggan is a simple sled used on snow, to carry one or more people (often children) down a hill or other slope, for recreation. Designs vary from simple, traditional models to modern engineered composites. A toboggan differs from most sleds or sleighs in that it has no runners or skis on the underside. The bottom of a toboggan rides directly on the snow.

The toboggon

The toboggon is a ridiculous sex move usually used to hurt your girlfriend, when breaking up with her, or just because you think its fun. When you are having sex with the girl doggy style, push her down the stairs while still riding her, and holding on for the ride.

av-943.gif
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jan 29 2008, 07:30 AM) *

Toboggan

A toboggan is a simple sled used on snow, to carry one or more people (often children) down a hill or other slope, for recreation. Designs vary from simple, traditional models to modern engineered composites. A toboggan differs from most sleds or sleighs in that it has no runners or skis on the underside. The bottom of a toboggan rides directly on the snow.

The toboggon

The toboggon is a ridiculous sex move usually used to hurt your girlfriend, when breaking up with her, or just because you think its fun. When you are having sex with the girl doggy style, push her down the stairs while still riding her, and holding on for the ride.
av-943.gif av-943.gif
av-943.gif

IronHillRestorations
914's handle great in the snow. Like everyone else has said, I don't know anyone who'd expose a good 914 to those elements though.

I got my first 914 in '78, and as was my only car I drove it year round. The only real problem was when it got below zero, and the engine just didn't want to turn over. At the time the only help was a low viscosity oil, Conoco Polar Start.

The only thing that stopped my 914 (Chicago winter of 1979) was unplowed roads with snow that was deeper than the ground clearance.

Back then (21 yr old) I didn't think twice about driving that 914 in snow and salt, but I didn't have a choice as it was my only car.
flippa
Here is a current picture of a 914 in the snow.

Click to view attachment

Its probably best to keep them out of the snow & in the garage for the winter.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(flippa @ Jan 29 2008, 03:21 PM) *

Here is a current picture of a 914 in the snow.

Click to view attachment

Its probably best to keep them out of the snow & in the garage for the winter.

blink.gif
Pat Garvey
Drove my 72 as a daily driver for two winters. With the skinny tires it was a handful, but I only remember one time swapping ends. As tricky as it was, the 914 was a whole lot better in snow that my 70 Chevelle, with its big V8 & lightwieght butt. Nothing could stop my 77 Rabbit!
flippa
QUOTE(jkeyzer @ Jan 28 2008, 06:30 PM) *

The answer to the question would be YES!!!! A big rusty mess of a YES!!!!

Click to view attachment

A view of the Hell Hole from under the car. I think I see Satin.

orthobiz
Forgetting the ethics of whether one can or can't drive the 914 in the winter, my answer is YES it is awesome in the snow.

I drove mine in Manhattan for five years, back and forth to the Bronx almost every day. It was the 80's and I wasn't in the snowbelt. I also drove for a year in the 70's in college, snow and all.

Handles great.

My favorite trick: When stuck, put the car in first gear, get out, push the front pillar with the door open and as soon as the wheel gets traction, jump in and take it away!

Paul
mike_the_man
My 914 even has a block heater, so I'm guessing that at some point in it's life, it was used in the winter. I've always been tempted to take it for a spin after a fresh snow, just because it looks like it would be a lot of fun. So far I've been able to resist the temptation.
swl
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Jan 29 2008, 04:16 PM) *

YES it is awesome in the snow.

I drove mine in Manhattan for five years, back and forth to the Bronx almost every day. It was the 80's and I wasn't in the snowbelt. I also drove for a year in the 70's in college, snow and all.

Handles great.

Just like a real VW! happy11.gif hide.gif
mskala
I used to go to school in rochester, ny. With the old sears weatherbeaters it was fine in the snow. I've been out driving while there was several inches of snow on the road and no other cars in sight. When the windshield froze up too much, just stopped right in the middle of the road, got out and scraped it, then continued on. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.