Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Talk to me about early valances 4 and 6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Ferg
Were there two types of early "porthole" valances??

Where the tailpipe holes in different locations for a four and a six, if so how do you tell them apart.

TIA

Ferg biggrin.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
Ferg,
This is a quote from the current AA catalog.

"Tech Tip 403:Three different rear valances were originally fitted to the 914: 1. Long top to bottom 70-72 914-6 valance with left tail pipe hole; 2. Long 70-72 914-4 valance with left center tail pipe hole; 3. Short 73-76 valance with notch. The two longer valances were discontinued in 1972 because they impeded engine cooling and, in the winter, acted as a snow plow."

Paul
Ferg
so it sounds like the early four's had the porthole closer to center than the sixes...

Thanks.

Ferg
1970 Neun vierzehn
Ferg,
Since there seems to be a dearth of pics showing rear valences, I'll humbly submit the following in the hope that you or anyone else can benefit from them. The photos show some details and the work done to straighten (or re-curve in this case) an early /4 valence that's going on my '70/4. Hope these can help.

Paul
TROJANMAN
I think the porthole took a different angle on the fours.
I was looking at a 6 conversion recently (the silver one) and the guy had a 1.7 valance, but could not get the tailpipe to fit.

Rex could tell you for certain.

What the hell am I doing in this forum???? ph34r.gif

biggrin.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jan 29 2008, 12:02 PM) *

Ferg,
Since there seems to be a dearth of pics showing rear valences, I'll humbly submit the following in the hope that you or anyone else can benefit from them. The photos show some details and the work done to straighten (or re-curve in this case) an early /4 valence that's going on my '70/4. Hope these can help.

Paul

My original 72 rear valence had the porthole, such as shown in the pics, but the hole was somewhat smaller (not much, but maybe a half inch). When I put a Bursche exhaust on the car, the tailpipe rubbed against the the bottom edge of the hole eventually causing a stress crack in the valence. End of valence. Use the more sensible '73 type these days. Yeah, it isn't the correct piece, but equally difficult to replace as the early rain tray. Pretty much given up on both, particularly because I feel they are inferior parts to the late ones. And I'm so tired of trying to find usable replacements.
Pat
smg914
Here is a picture of a 914-6 rear valance. You can see that the hole is much closer to the bend then the 914-4 version. There is a beautiful early rear valance on ebay right now that was advertised as a 914-6 but it is definately a 914-4 version.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(smg914 @ Feb 2 2008, 08:10 PM) *

Here is a picture of a 914-6 rear valance. You can see that the hole is much closer to the bend then the 914-4 version. There is a beautiful early rear valance on ebay right now that was advertised as a 914-6 but it is definately a 914-4 version.

It's been sooo long since mine for my 72 went away that I can honestly say I could not recognize the difference. If, as you say, the one on eBay is for a four (and it looks to be very nice), I'm going after it!

Actually prefer the later style, but I'd bend in favor of originality.
Pat
Ferg
That four valance on ebay is what prompted this thread. The seller is friend of mine. He bought the Irish Green 71 914-6, from me.

So anyone bidding, can be assured Peter's on the up and up.

Ferg
Porsche Rescue
Click to view attachment
Here is a rear valance on a '71 four. Pretty clear the one on Ebay is for a four. Still a rare item. It may have come off a factory six but not with a stock six tailpipe.
914Sixer
4 is closer inboard. 6 is closer to the side. Hole diameter is larger on six. 4 used a muffler that was used on the 411/412. There were 3 different tailpipes for the same muffler. A 4th version was added when the VW bus went to the type 4 motor.
sixnotfour
And I'm so tired of trying to find usable replacements.
Pat

by the current ebay auction your not that tired.
nice one
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 3 2008, 08:51 PM) *

And I'm so tired of trying to find usable replacements.
Pat

by the current ebay auction your not that tired.
nice one

Yeah, did OK today. Got 2 parts I really wanted. Spent a few bucks, but I'm happy. Now, if someone would just come up with that rain tray I want, I'd be warm & fuzzy all over.

Had to fight down to the last minute(literally) for the rear valence, but knew I'd never find one in that condition again. Righteous buy!

Whoo, I'm pumped!
slackin' at work
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Feb 3 2008, 10:24 PM) *

Had to fight down to the last minute(literally) for the rear valence, but knew I'd never find one in that condition again.

this is what I get for not checking this place over the weekend.

grrrr.

pat, how much did it go for??
slackin' at work
QUOTE(slackin' at work @ Feb 4 2008, 10:21 AM) *

nervermind. I found a link to the auction.

good score, pat.
let me know if you want to make an easy 25% on it. idea.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(slackin' at work @ Feb 4 2008, 10:36 AM) *

QUOTE(slackin' at work @ Feb 4 2008, 10:21 AM) *

nervermind. I found a link to the auction.

good score, pat.
let me know if you want to make an easy 25% on it. idea.gif

I just talked to the seller & apparently this thing is better than described! Can't wait to see it.

I gave up on one of these valences long time ago. If it hadn't been for this forum I'm sure I would have never known about it(thanks Ferg!). You won't be able to pry this from my hands for twice the price! However, I do have a perfect 2nd gen valence that will become available if the purchase is as quoted.

Now, if I can only find that elusive perfect rain tray..........

Pat
slackin' at work
IM NOT AS PICKY AS PAT! biggrin.gif
so if anyone has a rusty or dented port-hole valance, let me know. beer.gif
I'll be posting a want-ad soon.
Pat Garvey
Well, it came!

This has to be the best part I've scored on a very long time!

Not only is it freshly restored (and properly) and both sides, but it's a perfect match to my front valence & rocker covers.

Came wrapped in high density bubble wrap from a Ferrari 360 hood & Ferrari bumper box.

First pic:
Pat Garvey
Pic 2 - the backside.

Note that the part was refinished with Shutz & proper satin paint.
Ferg
Yep, I knew that if Peter A redid it, it would be top notch...

I really really wanted to see the Irish Six after he restored it.

Ferg

TedK
Since six valences are nowhere to be found, could a four be re-worked to look and function like a six???
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Ferg @ Feb 12 2008, 06:34 PM) *

Ferg

Well, if he did the rest of the car like this, it's a total winner!

I am so overjoyed that I can't move it from my study - just keep staring at it!

It's a piece of artwork!

Peter mentioned something about putting a front bumper overrider on eBay soon, so anyone who needs a nice one should be watching.
Pat
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(TedK @ Feb 12 2008, 07:33 PM) *

Since six valences are nowhere to be found, could a four be re-worked to look and function like a six???

I think it can be done if....
1. You can find a solid donor
2. You can find, or know a really good panel master.
3. If you're willing to spend some money - won't be cheap (I'd spring for it)
Pat
Ferg
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Feb 12 2008, 06:58 PM) *

QUOTE(Ferg @ Feb 12 2008, 06:34 PM) *

Ferg

Well, if he did the rest of the car like this, it's a total winner!

I am so overjoyed that I can't move it from my study - just keep staring at it!

It's a piece of artwork!

Peter mentioned something about putting a front bumper overrider on eBay soon, so anyone who needs a nice one should be watching.
Pat

It already is... It won at parade in San Diego last year, restoration class "I think"

Ferg
TROJANMAN
Can I fit a 1.7 valance from an early 914, on a Miata?
Slider
Lets ask Ferg.. hes got both..
Pat Garvey
It figures! I repack the valence in its errari 360 hood bubble wrap, tuck it back into its Ferrari bumper box, seal it up until late March, and now someone wants to know hole dimension!

I'll drag it back out if I have to, but does anyone already know the hole size (for a four)?

Also, it's not just a hole cut into the panel - it's like it was punched, with a rolled edge on the inside (can't come up with term).

Any help, or do I need to did it back out?

Pat
smg914
Earlier today I took a picture that shows the difference between the early 914-4 rear valance and the 914-6 rear valance. The 914-6 one is nearest in the pictures.
smg914
picture 2
TedK
Is the six valence for sale? Have to ask!
Michael N
QUOTE(TedK @ Feb 12 2008, 04:33 PM) *

I was talking to Vegas racer at GAF several years back about his /6 rear valance and that is exactly what he did for his valance. He took the measurements for the /6 valance and cut a rectangle out of the /4 valance. He then rotated the metal and welded it back in the valance. I am sure it was not quite that easy but looked terrific and original for the /6.
smg914
QUOTE(TedK @ Feb 19 2008, 05:44 PM) *

Is the six valence for sale? Have to ask!

I took the picture but neither of those valances are mine. But I do know that neither are for sale right now.
McMark
I edited your pictures... wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.