Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 electrical problems
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
markwemple
Well, the next set of problems. She now fires easily and reuns reasonably well.

Lights work fine. Hazzards work fine. Gen light (it says gen. ) comes on slightly and the battery is getting about 13 volts. I am guessing voltage regulator.

when the turn signals or brakes are used, the gen light glows brightly and neither the signals or brake lights work. Ideas?

SAme issue witht he wipers, not functioning and apparent ground issue.

Tach doesn't work either.

Any and all imput grately appreciated.
ejm
Check all the fuses, the ninth one from the left in particular, and report back.

How about adding year and engine to your signature?
markwemple
QUOTE(ejm @ Jan 30 2008, 10:29 AM) *

Check all the fuses, the ninth one from the left in particular, and report back.

How about adding year and engine to your signature?

Sorry about that. I updated it.

1970 914 1.7, stock configuration.

Not quite bringing it back from the dead, but close as it hadn't run in 2-3 years, but stored indoors.
Spoke
Check all grounds. Ground strap from tranny to trunk. A tight ground bolt doesn't mean its a good electrical connection. Remove all ground points; clean metal with sandpaper or file on both sides until shiny and replace. Do the same with battery connections.

Someone else should chime in about where all the ground points are.

Were these items not working before or are these new issues?
markwemple
I bought the car recently and am in the process of sorting her out. I know I should have checked into these but was primarily concerned with getting a running car.
sean_v8_914
ninth fuse and where tthe terminals connect to the fuse panel. the copper fatigues and corrodes. tach goes to zero when you press teh brake? the back connectors on that fuse box
markwemple
All the fuses were fine. There are a few fried wires in the dash that will have to dealt with and the brake light switch housing is broken.
markwemple
QUOTE(markwemple @ Jan 31 2008, 02:04 PM) *

All the fuses were fine. There are a few fried wires in the dash that will have to dealt with and the brake light switch housing is broken.

Fried wire was the one that goes to the high beam indicator in the speedo. Not sure if this could be part of the overall problem or not but what a strange wire to fry out.
markwemple
Update: replaced the highbeam wire. It goes to the headlight switch and ofcourse, that post no longer works so either a cob job or new switch is required. Cleaned the contacs for grounds hither and yon and the gen light issue may have gone away but it is still only putting out ~ 12.6 volts w/new voltage regulator. Also, brake light switch repaired but no brake lights and the turn-signal marker deal wors as do the hazzards but turn signals don't so, if it is possible for a turn signal switch to fail in such a manner then..... but I still believe there is something wierd going on.
markwemple
Finally progress. With a thorough cleaning of all contacts (including the entire fuse panel)and bulb replacement, we now have turn signals, brake lights and horn!!

Now to figure out the wiper motor and fan. BTW, should the fan switch are be lit?

Also, I really need to do the shifter bushings. The current arrangement is as vague as my old '72 bus, and atleat that one had reverse outside of a plave with a forward gear!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.