Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Body Plugs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
I was sorting through parts today when I noticed this. The 1st one is rubber, the other is a soft plastic. One was probably early and the other was late.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jan 30 2008, 06:27 PM) *

I was sorting through parts today when I noticed this. The 1st one is rubber, the other is a soft plastic. One was probably early and the other was late.

Damn, now I'll have to out to the "freezer", uncover the car, open the lid & shine a light down to figure out which ones I have! It won't make much difference, but I got's to know! If my fingers don't freeze first. Let you know what my 72 has.

We old farts hate winter!
Pat
914Sixer
Pat,
Its not THAT important. I just thought I would mention it. Probably one of those changes not noted anywhere.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jan 30 2008, 06:37 PM) *

Pat,
Its not THAT important. I just thought I would mention it. Probably one of those changes not noted anywhere.

Sorry, I get anal about these things.

Just checked mine (late 72) & they are plastic, not rubber - which probably explains why they haven't had to be replaced.
Pat
watsonrx13
All of the '74's that I've purchased and/or restored have been the plastic version, much greater longevity....

-- Rob
SLITS
Waaaaaaaaa ..... I don't have any holes so how would I know if I woulda had rubber or plastic? Oh, the agony of not knowing. sad.gif

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jan 30 2008, 07:45 PM) *

Waaaaaaaaa ..... I don't have any holes so how would I know if I woulda had rubber or plastic? Oh, the agony of not knowing. sad.gif

Ron,

No problem - your holes are covered by this group. We'll still respect you in the morning -promise.
Jeffs9146
My factory 6 has rubber but in my old stash from 73, 74 and a 76 cars I have a few of both the hard plastic and the rubber ones!
Gint
Figures... I have more than one full set but I'll bet that they don't all match.
jim_hoyland
Did the '75 have none ?
davep
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jan 30 2008, 06:21 PM) *

Did the '75 have none ?

Replacement panels did not have them AFAIK.
Jeffs9146
Did the '75 have none ?

I never owned a 75 so I don't know if mine might have come from that year car!
ruddyboys
Were can you get them, Mine are rubber and I am missing 1
TeenerTim
QUOTE(ruddyboys @ Jan 31 2008, 10:43 AM) *

Were can you get them, Mine are rubber and I am missing 1

I need ALL of them. I'm not a CW so it doesn't matter if they're rubber or plastic.
SirAndy
QUOTE(davep @ Jan 30 2008, 06:50 PM) *

Replacement panels did not have them AFAIK.

agree.gif

if your car doesn't have the holes, the front clip was replaced at one point in the past.

sure sign of frontal damage ...
shades.gif Andy
hcdmueller
I have a 76 with no holes and I have seen plenty of pictures of later models with no holes as well. I can almost guarantee my car has not had front end damage. Did Porsche just decide the holes were not necessary later on?
SirAndy
QUOTE(hcdmueller @ Feb 2 2008, 04:17 PM) *

I have a 76 with no holes and I have seen plenty of pictures of later models with no holes as well. I can almost guarantee my car has not had front end damage. Did Porsche just decide the holes were not necessary later on?

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
hcdmueller
Here is my front trunk. I got the car from Carreraguy with a massive amount of documentation and records. I will check again but I didn't see anything in there about a front end repair ever. Oh well time for beer3.gif
SirAndy
idea.gif

i wonder if they were using repair panels to build the last batch of cars ???
stirthepot.gif Andy
SLITS
The real question is why they were placed there anyway .... they serve no function.

Holes .... holes ..... we don't need no stinkin' holes. yellowsleep[1].gif
orange914
the (1) 70, (2) 71's, (1) 72 and present 73 we own all had (have) plastic. they are ca. cars if that makes a differance.

i wonder if it had to do with where they where built and who supplied them

mike
SirAndy
QUOTE(orange914 @ Feb 3 2008, 12:40 PM) *

the (1) 70, (2) 71's, (1) 72 and present 73 we own all had (have) plastic. they are ca. cars if that makes a differance.

i wonder if it had to do with where they where built and who supplied them

all shells were build at the Wilhelm Karmann GmbH in Osnabrück, Germany

914-4, 914-6, 916 - all of them

the 914-6 and 916 shells were then delivered to porsche to be finished, but the sheetmetal shells all came out of the same factory ...
bye1.gif Andy
914Sixer
If I remember the 75 had one on each side about under the headlights. I can not verify that though. Not sure about 76.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.