Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT:Gone for week..driving 2270 miles to "work"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
Getting ready to make our 2270 mile trip down to Covington, Louisiana (one way) to do some repairs on a rental home we have down there....hopefully my wife and I will be able to hook up with a fellow 914 owner that lives in New Orleans (John Lambert who owns the infamous "different" color grey door car)

My @ss is getting sore just thinking about the drive and then the work that must be done......well be replacing the floors along with I'm sure a few floor joists and seals, I bought an aluminum jack since I know I'll be under the house jacking it up...oh joy...

Last trip down there we did spot one 914 in Sidell, didn't get a chance to talk to him however, maybe this trip I'll be more lucky...

anyways, no internet access sad.gif
Bleyseng
Get a cell phone card to plug into your laptop so you can get internet access.
Or a wireless card for the same computer and sit at a Starbucks w/wireless access.
Both are great ways to waste time.

Geoff
bernbomb914
BE safe and have a nice trip. If you come thru SO CAL and need assistance give me a call

Bernie
boxstr
One of the long distance homes I owned was in need of some remodeling. Whenever I got there it was time to soak up the sun and get nothing done.
So, I advertised home for rent in a local paper and a sign in front yard. I also checked for a rentals wanted. I rented to a Genreral Contractor who had work in the area.
I checked past jobs and employers, credit and any other public record plus whatever he added to his rental agreement.
The trade off was he worked on the home while he lived in it and got free or discounted monthly rent.
I also had a local realtor who helped in the purchase, take digital updates and then email them to me of work in progress.
The GC had no computer experience.
This was a total win win for both parties, home got completed in a professional manner and it sold for a much higher price when I went to sell.
Just a thought.
CCLINHGTV
brant
mike,

what is your travel route...
are you passing through?

brant
Mueller
I'm going south to hit Hwy 10 and take that all the way there.....
Hopefully we'll time it right to be in Texas during the day, that way we can keep our speed up higher (Texas has lower speed limits at night sad.gif )

I'd rather do the job myself, that way I know it's done right...besides, this way I can buy even more tools and have a good excuse for it (just bought a new Paslode gas operated nailer for this trip and I'm sure I'll have to buy something else, LOL)

No time to play on the computer, we plan on working 16 hrs a day, luckly our hotel and Home Depot is just a few miles away...the hardest part will be to find some help for the heavy lifting...it's amazing, all these people standing around at the local store looking for work, but if it requires sweating, $10 an hour cash is not enough for them..... confused24.gif
seanery
Mike, when are you coming back? Will you have internet access?
Mueller
no internet access (staying at a small mom and pop hotel where they sweep the floors instead of using a vaccum, LOL)

our plan is to be back on the 18th or 19th
Gint
Have fun workin Mikey!
L8Apex
Do you need your hammer back? hehe
Mueller
Hey Terrance, how close do you live to my job??

I "really" would like to take that hammer with me....I bought a replacment, but it just doesnt feel right sad.gif

I'll call you in a bit..........
GWN7
If your lifting the house pick up a couple 20 ton bottle jacks. I used 3 of them to lift the farm house almost 30" last year. That and a railroad boxcar jack and 2 short teleposts. I used 6' lenghts of 2" X 2" steel tubing to cross brace the joists and a pile of heavy timber as bracing. Replaced floor joists, sill plates and wall studs to make it level again. Too bad your not doing this in March, I'm off work then and could use a warm climate road trip.

The airnailer I bought for that little project came in very handy. smile.gif

Good luck and have a safe trip.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.