Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Adding a second blower for heat, pics?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cevan
I'm looking for more heat in my car and I figured I could mount the extra blower motor so that each J-tube is feed by its own blower. I'm looking for pictures of the installation. I have a dual hose setup now with a long and a short hose. If I mounted the second motor next to the first, I could use the existing hoses. Mounting on the passenger side doesn't seem feasible as the ECU and battery take up most of the room.

My motor is out of the car currently, so I have good access to fabricate a bracket.

SOT: If you want to mount a K&N air filter to a L-Jet car and you have an extra AFM, you can remove the flange (from the 2nd AFM) that the flexible elbow mounts to and bolt it on the otherside of the 1st AFM. Now you have something to mount the air filter to.

I stumbled upon this b/c an air filter I had lying around was next to a spare AFM and I wondered if it would fit. Not sure if this will remain on the motor, but I like fabricating stuff (and it looks better than that big airbox.

Click to view attachment
toon1
I welded a piece of angle iron to the lower part of the batt. tray and mounted one there.

I can't add a link from this computer BUT do a search for " been working". that is my progress thread. there are some pics of the second blower.

One thing to note,the way it's mounted, the plastic flapper in the blower housing stay's open. It's an easy fix to flip it around so it shuts when the blower is turned off.

Keith
GaroldShaffer
do you have a single or dual outlet blower right now? If a single why not just update to a dual or just add a dual outlet tip? Not trying to be smart, but do you really need another blower? Have you checked to make sure there is nothing blocking the heater tubes? Reason for asking is my 70 is missing the heater blower, but while driving if I open the flapper valves I get plenty of heat forced in to keep me & the wife toatsy warm.

rjames
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Jan 31 2008, 11:11 AM) *

do you have a single or dual outlet blower right now? If a single why not just update to a dual or just add a dual outlet tip? Not trying to be smart, but do you really need another blower? Have you checked to make sure there is nothing blocking the heater tubes? Reason for asking is my 70 is missing the heater blower, but while driving if I open the flapper valves I get plenty of heat forced in to keep me & the wife toatsy warm.

agree.gif

I just put in new to me SS exchangers and duct work, and with only a single outlet blower there seems to be no shortage of heat. Before the install I found that the heater hoses had holes in them which was keeping the heat from reaching the cabin.
Just the same I may add the dual outlet tip for kicks- AA has 'em for sale.
Cevan
I do have the dual setup. I am putting SS HEs on this winter and I've replaced the orange hoses that attach to the flapper boxes as they both were starting to abrade. Everything else on the heating system was fine. My old HEs are in perfect condition, no leaks that I could find. I figured if I had another fan, why not add one, seeing as there are two hoses. If I mount one next to the other, I can just plug in each hose.

I'll check the heater tubes in the longs. I guess I could put a chase up there and feel around for any blockage.
toon1
I had a dual outlet setup on mine and the system was is decent shape. still was not enough for my liking, escpecially for the defrost.

To each his own
Cap'n Krusty
Why would anybody want to install a K&N? The Cap'n
Spoke
I'm planning the same thing, using 2 fans. I though about mounting the 2nd fan just to the left of the oil filler, about where the dual outlet one is on my 71.

For those who have 2 fans, how did you wire the 2nd fan. I was thinking of splicing into the existing fan's wires for power.
toon1
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jan 31 2008, 12:25 PM) *

be nice, it's his motor
Cevan
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jan 31 2008, 03:25 PM) *

I was waiting for you to comment. I am well-versed in your opinion of these filters. My intention is not to start a "K&N vs. stock air filter" debate. I had the filter lying around and an extra AFM. So I experimented and came up with that. There have been enough people on this board inquiring about putting a K&N air filter on or who have already done it that I thought my post might be noteworthy.

Cap'n Krusty
That done, let's go on to the 2 blowers. IME, and it's extensive, one blower is plenty. You can go from pretty cold to having to roll the windows down in short order with just the single blower and the system sealed up as it's supposed to be. Even the cars with the single outlet blower get real hot, real fast. I wouldn't bother, given the bracketry and wiring that'll need to be done. The Cap'n
toon1

The cabin did get plenty warm with the single blower, I didn't fell safe with the defrost.

FOR ME, it was inadequate at best. JMHO.

For the wiring and bracketry, 2, maybe three hours. tops.

Keith
JimW
Click to view attachment
I added a second blower using a pelican tech artical for a referance http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...eater_motor.htm
Cevan
Here is the air filter installed. I expect an increase of .25 hp and 10-15 decibels. beer.gif

Click to view attachment

As you can see, I'm going with a single blower for now.
Sleepin
QUOTE(Cevan @ Mar 2 2008, 06:09 PM) *

Here is the air filter installed. I expect an increase of .25 hp and 10-15 decibels. beer.gif

Click to view attachment

As you can see, I'm going with a single blower for now.

Thats one nice 1.8!!!
craig downs
Ahh a nice clean beautiful engine
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.