Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My exhuast, sound correct?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turtleturtle
Exhaust sound

In the video, I am BARLEY touching the gas.

I know my 914 was used for the SCCA here in Corpus Christi many years ago, but I am honestly stumped on why it sounds so beefy. I know it has some engine mods on it, but not too sure. Anyone want to help me investigate it and find out what it really has in it? smile.gif
Allan
The URL contained a malformed video ID

Whatever that means...
LowGT
His link has an extra http:// at the end.

Try this one instead.
turtleturtle
Sorry, link it working now. smile.gif
PeeGreen 914
Honestly sounds like a leaky head.That squeeky noise is what I am concerned about. Is it a 75-76 2.0l? It may have the air injector holes unplugged.
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

Ya a leaky head, that tinny sound might be from the exhaust pipe ,it was

bouncing all over the place. If the pipe is rusted through, the hole muffler is

probbly way past replacement time. My 2 cents. Dave
turtleturtle
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Feb 1 2008, 03:10 AM) *

Honestly sounds like a leaky head.That squeeky noise is what I am concerned about. Is it a 75-76 2.0l? It may have the air injector holes unplugged.

Its a 72, but with a 2.0. How would I check to see if I have a leaky head and where would I check to see if the air injector holes are unplugged?
PeeGreen 914
Are you sure the engine is a 72 engine? If it is you wouldn't have it. Look down by the intake plenums. Right where they go into the engine just to the sides of them they would have holes there. I would have soimeone in your area that knows 914 very well come over to check it out for you.

I bought a 72 from a fellow board member...sadly... that ended up being a retagged 75. It had the sound you have. When I took the car to Otto in Venice beach his first thought was a cracked head, but after we looked at it we found that the air injection holes were not pluged. I hate the memories of that car.
turtleturtle
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Feb 1 2008, 11:52 AM) *

Are you sure the engine is a 72 engine? If it is you wouldn't have it. Look down by the intake plenums. Right where they go into the engine just to the sides of them they would have holes there. I would have soimeone in your area that knows 914 very well come over to check it out for you.

I bought a 72 from a fellow board member...sadly... that ended up being a retagged 75. It had the sound you have. When I took the car to Otto in Venice beach his first thought was a cracked head, but after we looked at it we found that the air injection holes were not pluged. I hate the memories of that car.

Well, I know a guy that will be able to look at it for me, his name is Herman Upton, really good friend of mine that built my engine for my Karmann 2 years ago and it's running excellent ever since. I will have to go there so he can look over the car and see what he thinks.
PeeGreen 914
Sounds like a good idea. He should know what to look for.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.