Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for an audio solution
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
geniusanthony
So I do the google thing and find the Becker Mexico at $2500, not an option. Besides it looks too vintage more 50's and 60's than 70's.

What I would like is a two-knob shaft radio with Pre-amp outputs, an Aux-in for Mp3 and maybe a digital display with auto tuner vice manually turn the knob till the station kinda comes in.

So , if ya got any ideas lets hear 'em. BTW, I dont care if its concours correct just period correct.

I have heard mention of converting a tape deck to mp3 with judicious soldering but I don't think we would get pre-outs and digi displays with that option.
I
boxstr
Check this website for Custom Sound
http://www.customautosound.com/
Craig
Dr. Roger
i would get the most "hooptie" looking stock AM radio in the dash and then conceal a rocking MP# enabled stereo w/amp and iPod input.

keeps the bad people away...
McMark
My setup (and on Paul S. Black 3.6) is an iPod wired directly into an amp. No head unit. Just use the iPod itself to control song selection, volume, etc.
geniusanthony
I had thought of that Mark, the only problem I see is that for 1, an Ipod will need power eventually so if you forget to charge it, well you 'll just have to listen to carb and exhaust sounds...not a bad thing. What would be an appropriate era radio to hack up, with knobs that match our lights, hazards, etc. knobs. Did the old 911's have a good match that woud take well to hacking up?

I have yet to check Craigs link as I am on a work computer and this is one of the only unblocked sites. Hmm maybe there is an enthusiast in Fallujah??/
iamchappy
I have an old top of the line Concord tape deck stashed away. No power all pre-amp outputs looks cool it must have a dozen little silver toggles across the bottom it has every option imaginable even variable tape speed to compensate for the old 120mn. tapes, I loved it because i could speed up or slow down my Grateful Dead songs that i taped. Any way it looked cool in my 914, i had a portable cd player via a switch box i used with it, back in the day. I can post a picture of it if your interested in the stuff.
Pat Garvey
Sorry, but the real music is behind your head.

Admittedly, the music of a six is better, but the four ain't bad.

I'll listen to my music at home or in my daily driver (which rocks).

All I want to do in my 914 is smell fresh air & hear the motor.

But, that's just me.
Pat
McMark
QUOTE(geniusanthony @ Feb 1 2008, 02:49 PM) *
I had thought of that Mark, the only problem I see is that for 1, an Ipod will need power eventually

I run a cigarette lighter power cord to keep it charged and then a RF Remote (Griffin AirClick). The iPod stays in the glovebox on shuffle and I just use the remote to start, stop, change volume, and skip to the next song. Works great for me. In fact, my iPod hasn't left my car in almost a year. biggrin.gif

If you really want to get tricky, buy a cigarette lighter power supply and smash the casing, then solder a power and ground wire into the fuse panel. Then hide the wires behind the dash and into the glove box from behind. Then there is no exposed wiring.
geniusanthony
For reference, This is the Becker Mexico. About $2K

I wanna say that back in the olden days these came in vdubs...just with less features
iamchappy
beer.gif
The deck has 2 sets of outputs.
The parasound was used as my switch box for the cd player.
With a little touch up to some of the lettering the deck would clean up nice.

Just noticed the mic hook for the cb on the side of the equalizer. Ha.....
rick 918-S
9 hits for the Becker Mexico on ebay.
Joe Bob

Woody's Custom....
In my 356....modern guts and an Ipod jack, vintage look.

IPB Image
Joe Bob
$169.00
geniusanthony
Z, that looks great. I had been to Woody's as a link from the Ironbutt Rally site, just didn't look close enough. All I found on first look was the $40 cheapy cassette model. great find.

I think the only way to beat something like that is by hacking up an original....you did good.
BiG bOgGs
I don't know anything about the quality of this company or its products, but you might give them a look. I know they only show classic muscle car pics on the page, nut if you click through to the application guide they do have listings for fitting these to VWs, so maybe they could be adapted for the 914.

Custom Audiosound

jasons
In my Scout, I have an old but good Pioneer unit from the early 80's. But no input function that I'm aware of.

How about this....

IPB Image

McIntosh MX406
geniusanthony
bump and....

Mike, can you post a pic of your radio when on and playing...Thanks
McMark
That McIntosh is RAD! But I could build a really nice iPod only setup for less than that head unit @ $800. dry.gif
highways
QUOTE(geniusanthony @ Jan 31 2008, 07:54 PM) *

What I would like is a two-knob shaft radio with Pre-amp outputs, an Aux-in for Mp3 and maybe a digital display with auto tuner vice manually turn the knob till the station kinda comes in.

So , if ya got any ideas lets hear 'em. BTW, I dont care if its concours correct just period correct.

I

I'm still trying to figure out how anything with pre-amps, aux-in's, auto tuners and digital displays can be considered period correct since none of that existed in 1970...? confused24.gif

What about a nice modern Blauplunkt.... original manufacturer, modern sound, no phoniness. Or else go anologue all the way... that would be period correct.

Eric_Shea
The Blaupunkt "Frankfurt" was the most common install for a period radio. I totall agree with Mark regarding the iPOD solution.

I have a 2.5 six that sounds too good and is too loud to warrant a radio however, if I were to have a stock looking radio it would be as follows:

Frankfurt (basically non-functional)
|
iPOD (with remote as Mark has shown)
|
EQ device (preset)
|
Poweramp (possibly mounted under the spare up front)
|
Upgraded Speakers in the stock housings (check the "Classics" thread for a how-to)
|
Sub (possibly Bazooka under the front of the passengers seat)

A simple 4G Nano will give you 7 days worth of your favorite tunes to listen to and easily slip into your glove box.
geniusanthony
If I were not to get weird with this, Eric and Mark are right. To just have an uninterupted dash face may be 2nd best and in doing so go the Ipod/Zune route through a hidden amp and what not. You can actually pick up FM through some mp3 players too, kind of a cure-all. Aesthetics are so hard.
geniusanthony
To answer your question highways, The "period-correctness" as I see it, is definately not a concours thing. Any period-correctness can end when the key is turned. From that point forward....in operation I like modern convenience. I merely hate the idea of sticking a DIN sized black-box with glowy colors, dancing displays, etc....also is a thief magnet BTW...

MikeZ has it right as I have seen,

In case anyone wants to go over the top too.

www.autoradio-wagner.de ____German guy/company who mods to order. I have yet to mail him. I am surprised that more does not exist out there for this.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.