Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tangerine Racing does it again!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jake Raby
Chris has provided two of his systems for developmental purposes with our FP race engine program...

I asked Chris to create us a 4-1 system to use as a developmental tool so we could create some engines designed for absolute peak HP and others for a more broad powerband enhancing torque. In racing sometimes the engine that does best on the dyno is very difficult to keep in it's powerband and therefore makes for a slower, less driveable car. This occurs on the street as well and being able to compare numbers in the lab and in the car on the track are VERY important ti us (thats the only reason we race)

Until yesterday I haven't had time to use both of these back to back in the lab. What we noted after doing back to back runs only 24 minutes apart (changing hot exhaust sucks) was amazing! Chris' new, never before tested 4 into 1 system picked up a whopping 9 HP over his 4-2-1 system that was tested previously.

This was not really a surprise for the HP at peak because we learned long ago that the king of peak numbers is the 4 into 1 design on the TIV and the king of torque was the 4-2-1 design as it continually gives the flatest most usable torque curve.

What blew me away was on this really wild and super insane 1800cc FP legal engine the torque was maintained and enhanced as well as the HP!!! This may not be the case with every engine, but we will be further investigating to find out!

When we bolted this system onto the engine the very first run was 9HP stronger and it opened the doors to more tuning and even more power from the engine with a jet change.

With this header I feel we have even more power available with a revisit into velocity stack characteristcs, camshaft changes and some timing changes...

Once again Chris proves his huge part of MassIVe Horsepower Science by providing enhanced exhaust systems that continue to open up windows of opportunity for us to capitalize on.

Anyone that thinks the power of the TIV isn't 100% dependant upon the exhaust system and overall engine combo is seriously mistaken and WILL WASTE THEIR MONEY with accepting compromises of a "cheaper" system for their performance engine.
That said, the net power of this engine isn't to be released, all I can say is Chris' header difference was 9HP at minimum and we now must investigate why this occured and how to capitalize on it and share it with our street engine program.

I am whipping up a short video of the dyno session over the weekend...
rick 918-S
popcorn[1].gif
jimkelly
jake

it would be awesome if - someday - you could compare the true hp benefit of sshe's vs stock steel he's - using the same muffler.

race program - are you still racing your own car?

jim
Jake Raby
jake

it would be awesome if - someday - you could compare the true hp benefit of sshe's vs stock steel he's - using the same muffler.

race program - are you still racing your own car?

jim

Yes, Len and I have been working on a program for almost two years with an F production 914 in SCCA. This year is the first year of competition with the car.

The stock heaterboxes are only used n 3 of my combos and I have already got the info I need from them and those combos a long time ago...

If we had an absolute unlimited budget and 10 more employees I could test what I want to, till then the priorities are all we can focus on.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.