Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone have experience importing parts?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TonyAKAVW
My father in law has a small business where he makes injection molded plastic parts. He makes the dies and has a huge injection molder and can turn out large numbers of plastic or rubber parts of very high quality.

I was thinking that it might be interesting to get him to make parts for the 914, things that are either NLA or expensive because of short supply. Or, make things from stronger plastics, more advanced rubber materials, etc. Stuff like the rubber roof holders for the rear trunk, or switch knobs, stuff like that.

Due to political changes in the past couple years, it apperas favorable to import products from Argentina (where he lives and works) but I haven't got a clue as to where to start in terms of finding out how to import things. Anyone here have experience with this?

-Tony
Mueller
If you don't get any answers, remind me in a week....my father's company imports parts in from Brazil, he should be able to give me some insight.........
andys
Tony,

I import from Asia and the UK, and also sell world wide. It kind of depends on what you are looking to accomplish. Getting the stuff to your front door is really quite simple. Will the business in Argentina want to sell directly or to a US distributor? Do you wish to bring these parts in yourself, and sell them as a US based business? You need to decide what you want to do, and what role you want to play. There are a lot of questions to be answered first. If you for example want to simply bring in a 12-12-12 box of small molded plastic parts, it can be sent as a personal package and likely avoid any duty and taxes (such as VAT). DHL, FedEx, UPS all do worldwide shipping, though they don't offer the best rates. If the shipments are larger, say over 50Kg/pkg, you'll likely need to use a freight forwarder, though they can be your friend and make life a lot easier and handle everything necessary to get it right to your front door (yup, even a private residence). Unless it is a fairly large shipment, air mail/freight is the only way to go.

Andy
TonyAKAVW
In the end, with large quantities, I would think that directly selling a box of parts to a US based reseller or distributor would be the way to go. To begin with though It would be better if there was someone in the middle, as my father in law speaks no English blink.gif

So, I suppose initially I'd start out receiving them directly.

I read on the US Customs web site that as long as the contents are under $2000 in value or for non-comercial use that duty doesn't have to be collected at the port of entry. I'm not really clear how all of this works though, especially in the classification of items, etc.

Do the freight forwarders take care of duties and things like that? i.e. they deal with customs, etc. and bill you for the costs?

-Tony
Jeroen
Usually the company that ships your stuff takes care of customs, taxes etc.
If there is any to be payed, they'll just bill you for it

cheers,

Jeroen
andys
QUOTE(TonyAKAVW @ Jan 8 2004, 02:33 PM)
In the end, with large quantities, I would think that directly selling a box of parts to a US based reseller or distributor would be the way to go. To begin with though It would be better if there was someone in the middle, as my father in law speaks no English blink.gif

So, I suppose initially I'd start out receiving them directly.

I read on the US Customs web site that as long as the contents are under $2000 in value or for non-comercial use that duty doesn't have to be collected at the port of entry. I'm not really clear how all of this works though, especially in the classification of items, etc.

Do the freight forwarders take care of duties and things like that? i.e. they deal with customs, etc. and bill you for the costs?

-Tony

Tony,

Freight forwarders can handle everything from arranging pick up to paying duty/taxes, etc. If you know the size and weight, they can usually give you a quote within a day or so. I like to pay with a credit card (to a trusted business), as it avoids doing wire transfers to off shore businesses (for which banks take a fee/commission), it shortens the transaction cycle, and you don't have to deal with fluctuating monetary exchange rates. I find that it also helps to research freight forwarders local to the company you're buying from (or someone having a local satellite office), as sometimes (depending on local politics) it can ease things a bit. Not to fear though, as the shipping business in general is well connected.

I see you're in SoCal; call Tokyu World Transport, Import dept. 310-727-1560. You can ask questions for free.

Andy
redshift
I used to get some real high grade 'parts' from out of country, real quality stuff..

My 'parts' dealer sold 'parts' to some undercover cop, now he washes clothes in Reidsville.

burnout.gif

M
GWN7
I import or cause to be imported a lot of things.... Mostly clothing these days...The system works fairly easy.

Best answers are to be found at your local customs office. As Argentina is not a member of NAFTA there would be duties payable to the government, as these are auto parts. There is a tarif code for all items that you can think of. The duty for US made parts sent up here used to be 4%...(now 0%) I think ones from Germany are still at 16% It depends on where it is made and what it is made of, as to what duties are payable.

A freight forwader will charge you a flat fee and a percentage of the value of the goods based on the value converted to US funds. You can act as your own broker and save those fees.

If it is NLA parts there might be a tarif code that would cause these goods to be brought in under a reduced rate. Like I said go down to your local customs office and ask them how to go about it.

I think someone was looking for a good source for windshield seals the other week. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.