Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Getting one back on the road quick
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rebelmdot
I am currently trying to buy a 1973 1.7 that has been sitting for a while. It was apparently running when parked, at least two years. If I am successful in buying it, I would like to get it running as soon as possible. If nothing was wrong with it when it was parked, what things should I do to it to get it running again?

Change Oil
Drain Gas
Go buy more beer beerchug.gif
Change Fuel Filter
Change Plugs

I think Carb is gummed up, how to clean? What other things would you recommend that I do to get it running. Again, thank you for all of your help on all questions that I have asked. One day, I hope to be the one on here answering!
r_towle
The carb is gummed up.
Fuel pump and filter, along with both fittings on the tank need to be removed.
All rubber fuel lines (under tank, under motor, and in the engine bay) need to be replaced.

To rebuild the carb, get a name and number off the carb, could he a holley carb...get the kit from summit racing or napa to do the rebuild.
Loads of info online for the rebuild if you know the number of the carb.

A carb is a float (like a toilet bowl float) a needle valve attached to the float to stop allowing fuel to pass, four jets or more..
The float is in a bowl...the bowl is full of crud and shellac
The float needs to be air tight and float in water...test it.
The needle valve and all jets need to be cleaned.
Accel pump is full of crud also..

Basically its a big puzzle that is not to hard to take apart clean and put back together.
Rich
rebelmdot
QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 1 2008, 08:15 PM) *

The carb is gummed up.
Fuel pump and filter, along with both fittings on the tank need to be removed.
All rubber fuel lines (under tank, under motor, and in the engine bay) need to be replaced.

To rebuild the carb, get a name and number off the carb, could he a holley carb...get the kit from summit racing or napa to do the rebuild.
Loads of info online for the rebuild if you know the number of the carb.

A carb is a float (like a toilet bowl float) a needle valve attached to the float to stop allowing fuel to pass, four jets or more..
The float is in a bowl...the bowl is full of crud and shellac
The float needs to be air tight and float in water...test it.
The needle valve and all jets need to be cleaned.
Accel pump is full of crud also..

Basically its a big puzzle that is not to hard to take apart clean and put back together.
Rich

Since all of the fuel lines will need to be replaced, can I just buy a length of it and cut it to the size of the ones removed?
Al Meredith
Where are you in the Southeast? Maybe one of us can help!
rebelmdot
QUOTE(Al Meredith @ Feb 1 2008, 08:31 PM) *

Where are you in the Southeast? Maybe one of us can help!

I am an hour South of Nashville. A little hamlet called Culleoka, however more people would recognize Columbia, TN.
black73
I don't know much about carbs or fuel lines but beer.gif I could maybe help with the beer.
rebelmdot
QUOTE(black73 @ Feb 2 2008, 11:26 AM) *

I don't know much about carbs or fuel lines but beer.gif I could maybe help with the beer.

I tell you what, the beer is going to flow like wine!

As of 11:00 am, I have two more 914's in my stable. I am going to pic up the 1973 in a couple of hours and the other next week. If I can get it running tonight, I will meet you somewhere and buy the celebratory beers. If not, you are more than welcome to come out and toast my new beauties where they sit!!!!! beerchug.gif
rick 918-S
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
rebelmdot
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 2 2008, 02:41 PM) *

Pics will be added this evening!
rebelmdot
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 2 2008, 02:41 PM) *

http://www.myspace.com/rebelmdot

Here is the best I can do. The resolution on my camera is too great to add the pics of the car as an attachment, and all that it took to get it to my house this evening, I am too tired to mess with editing the pic. That link is to my Myspace page and you can see all my Porsche's and some of their innards!! I pick up the 1974 2.0 next week and I will put those on my Myspace page as well. It is now time for beer3.gif As soon as I wake up, I am on it. I hope this is running before kickoff!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.