Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Painful day at the shop
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
Today was a never-ending pain-fest.

1. Burned a 1/8" round cavity into my leg by sitting on very hot MIG spatter. OUCH!
2. Cut a finger removing the body from a 63 bug.
3. Cut another finger on the bug.
4. Whacked my ankle bone with a breaker bar loosening lug nuts on a 912.
5. Cut another finger replacing the brake lines on the 912.

That's a lot for one day... I'm going home. yawn.gif
Joe Bob
People on "ludes shouldn't...ummmm, shouldn't.....ummmm....ah screw it.
Wanna9146
Hey...it coulda been worse. I got arse-raped (no lube) by my Porsche mechanic today to the tune of $568!

sheeplove.gif
LowGT
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

smile.gif

Drink a few brews and sleep it off, that's my usual course of action.
SLITS
Blood .... we need blood
iamchappy
I hate when that happens.

I grounded out my watch band on the Positive terminal of the battery last month.
I couldnt figure out how to undo the clasp on the band as it seared into my flesh.
When i did get it off i had a raised bubble imprint of my band half way around my wrist. Note the protective covers in place now.
mightyohm
I usually wear nitrile gloves in the garage and they prevent some of the minor cuts and scratches. Ever considered mechanix gloves??

PS Wear eye protection.
JPB
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Feb 2 2008, 12:11 AM) *

I grounded out my watch band on the Positive terminal of the battery last month.
I couldnt figure out how to undo the clasp on the band as it seared into my flesh.
When i did get it off i had a raised bubble imprint of my band half way around my wrist. Note the protective covers in place now.

Got air blowing on that innercooler or is it just under the lid? Looks cool! beer.gif
Spoke
At least it sounds like you got a lot done...

Time for beer3.gif beerchug.gif beer.gif and smoke.gif and then chowtime.gif popcorn[1].gif
neo914-6
QUOTE(SLITS @ Feb 1 2008, 08:57 PM) *

Blood .... we need blood

sounds like "There WILL be blood" laugh.gif

better yet, see "No Country for Old Men", lot's of blood...

Katmanken
We're putting you and Z together so you can compare war wounds.....

Ken
r_towle
you are overtired.
Getting sloppy.
Sleep in late tommorow, get up in time for the game, thats it.

You will be all better monday.

Rich
ConeDodger
Walk it off engine-boy. I am probably coming down next weekend and I don't want any limping, whining, or crying going on!!! chair.gif

Seriously though... Damn boy! Did you sit in a puddle of MIG while putting the pan in the bug? OUCH!!! icon8.gif
iamchappy
War wounds....are part of 914 life.....
FourBlades

I am proud of my welder burns and sheet metal lasserations welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif

We need a 914 inflicted wounds and scars thread!!!

John
SGB
It is a shame though.
Those pain meds just aren't the same if have actual pain.
McMark
YAY! No bodily damage today! av-943.gif
effutuo101
poke.gif That sucks, but I have to say, with these cars, you might want to make sure your shots are up to date. There is usually more rust on these cars than nails left out for the same amount of time....
Gint
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

biggrin.gif

I wear those mechanics gloves all the time now. They've saved me countless cuts, scrapes and burns.
Joe Bob
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Feb 1 2008, 09:11 PM) *

Oh great....you guys are so fickle. I put an oil cooler in the trunk and it's called a barbeque grill...he puts and IC in there, it's uber brilliant..... bootyshake.gif
iamchappy
QUOTE(356 @ Feb 3 2008, 11:23 AM) *

QUOTE(iamchappy @ Feb 1 2008, 09:11 PM) *

Oh great....you guys are so fickle. I put an oil cooler in the trunk and it's called a barbeque grill...he puts and IC in there, it's uber brilliant..... bootyshake.gif

2-7" fans pull air through and exit cooling the transmission cooler. I have suffered many cuts and scrapes and burns during my battles with the car, i now use gloves and rarely need to pull them off for the delicate stuff.
McMark
Mechanix gloves last me about a month before they have holes in them. dry.gif I have three trashed sets in my toolbox.
Gint
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 3 2008, 04:59 PM) *

Mechanix gloves last me about a month before they have holes in them. dry.gif I have three trashed sets in my toolbox.
So do I... And three reasonably new pairs too. When I see them on sale I grab two or three pairs. At the flea market a couple of weeks ago I bought 3 pairs @ $10.00 a pair. If I'd had more cash I would have bought more. If I did that sort of work everyday, my hands would still be worth $15.00 a month. Duck tape helps too... biggrin.gif

I have a scar on my thumb that would have been a lot fuglier had it not been for those gloves.
EdwardBlume
Chicks dig scars!!! shades.gif
bdstone914
QUOTE(Gint @ Feb 3 2008, 08:39 PM) *

So do I... And three reasonably new pairs too. When I see them on sale I grab two or three pairs. At the flea market a couple of weeks ago I bought 3 pairs @ $10.00 a pair. If I'd had more cash I would have bought more. If I did that sort of work everyday, my hands would still be worth $15.00 a month. Duck tape helps too... biggrin.gif

I have a scar on my thumb that would have been a lot fuglier had it not been for those gloves.

Im really hoping you missed a decimal point. Only $100 dollars a pair. smile.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Gint @ Feb 3 2008, 10:39 PM) *

So do I... And three reasonably new pairs too. When I see them on sale I grab two or three pairs. At the flea market a couple of weeks ago I bought 3 pairs @ $100 a pair. If I'd had more cash I would have bought more. If I did that sort of work everyday, my hands would still be worth $15.00 a month. Duck tape helps too... biggrin.gif

Notice he didin't talk about the scars on his head... poke.gif

Gint.. you gonna start wearing a helmet in the garage????
Betty
QUOTE(Gint @ Feb 3 2008, 09:48 AM) *

I wear those mechanics gloves all the time now. They've saved me countless cuts, scrapes and burns.

... should've worn one on your head then....

biggrin.gif

I remember when Clay was taking the transmission out of his car at a friend's house. Gloves wouldn't have helped him much, he darn near took a finger off. Friend had to take him to the hospital... there's nothing worse than being on the receiving end of a "Honey, everything's all right but I'm at the Emergency Room..." phone call!

I had to put the transmission back in his car while he sat there cradling his hand and critiquing my every wrench turn. smash.gif welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif av-943.gif
jd74914
QUOTE(Betty @ Feb 5 2008, 04:05 PM) *

I remember when Clay was taking the transmission out of his car at a friend's house. Gloves wouldn't have helped him much, he darn near took a finger off. Friend had to take him to the hospital... there's nothing worse than being on the receiving end of a "Honey, everything's all right but I'm at the Emergency Room..." phone call!

Gloves would have kept the severed finger clean idea.gif laugh.gif

My dear mother loves those calls too . . .
Allan
I give our guy's in the field Kevlar inserts to use under their leather or Mechanix gloves. Work well for lacerations. Not so much for punctures or crushing.
Gint
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Feb 5 2008, 12:27 PM) *

QUOTE(Gint @ Feb 3 2008, 08:39 PM) *

Im really hoping you missed a decimal point. Only $100 dollars a pair. smile.gif

Whaddya mean? happy11.gif
Porcharu
Like these?
Gloves
I just work my hands into stumps when I get really going on a project, not knuckle busters just continuous nicks and cuts all day long. As I get "old" I bleed more and longer.

QUOTE(Headrage @ Feb 5 2008, 02:34 PM) *

I give our guy's in the field Kevlar inserts to use under their leather or Mechanix gloves. Work well for lacerations. Not so much for punctures or crushing.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.