Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: replacing brake rotors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
As the title says. I am going to replace my brake rotors, as they are worn. Do I need to replace my wheel bearings as well? Is there a simple test to see if they are good to go as they are?

Zach
SirAndy
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Feb 1 2008, 09:48 PM) *

As the title says. I am going to replace my brake rotors, as they are worn. Do I need to replace my wheel bearings as well? Is there a simple test to see if they are good to go as they are?

front or rear or both?

if the bearings are still quiet, the shakedown test works fairly well. also, do the slow turn thing and listen for noise from the bearing ...

the rotors can be replaced without changing the bearing. when was the last time you got new wheel bearings? if the answer is "dunno", now is probably a good time to replace them as well ...

biggrin.gif Andy
Dave_Darling
If you have stock four-lug front rotors, they cannot reasonably be changed without changing the wheel bearings. The five-bolt stuff can, but on the four-bolt setup the rotor is a part of the hub.

--DD
Wilhelm
Probably can get a set of bearings for $20.00 or less. You'll either have to press out or BFH out the old bearing races to reuse them. In the long run it will be cheaper to simply replace them.
root
Front wheel bearings are inexpensive. You've got to put on new inners in the front with new rotors! But do the front outers too! Rears used to be around $50 or so each.
Takes a press and some grease to replace and repack them. But, if you don't know the history of your current ones It's not worth fusing a rotten overheated inner race to an axle spindle! This is no fun! Been there! Done that! beer3.gif

Zach your welcome to use the press hear at the shop! Sorry I'm so far away biggrin.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Feb 1 2008, 10:49 PM) *

If you have stock four-lug front rotors, they cannot reasonably be changed without changing the wheel bearings. The five-bolt stuff can, but on the four-bolt setup the rotor is a part of the hub.

--DD

What? They're easily transferred from the old rotors to the new ones. That said, you'll need new seals whichever route you choose. Frankly, I'd replace them anyway. The Cap'n
ws91420
The new rotors typically have bearing races installed in them already. If you don't know how old the bearings are I would replace them as preventive maintance item. Make sure you pack the bearings well with proper grease and follow instructions to make sure the retaining nut is tight but not too tight.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Feb 1 2008, 10:49 PM) *

duh ... yes, i was thinking 5-lug ... i haven't touched a 4-lug in years ...

another reason to convert to 5-lug ...
smile.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.