Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Porsche rolls out 200,000th Cayenne
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
biosurfer1
Porsche had the 200,000th Cayenne roll of the line today....and they only made 118992 914's?!?

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/02/02/porsche...-000th-cayenne/
davep
That is an awful lot of parts donors for our 914's. What can we use from a Cayenne?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Feb 2 2008, 09:11 PM) *

Porsche had the 200,000th Cayenne roll of the line today....and they only made 118992 914's?!?

I'm happy for the fortunes of Porsche, but (and am sorry to those I offend here) it's a TRUCK! A very expensive truck. It ain't a Porsche - it's a truck!

Let the flames begin! This is one statement I will NOT apologize for!
Pat
iamchappy
I have one on my wish list.

It's a truck that handles and is fast, big differance. A Ford f 150 is a truck!

The Cayenne looks way better towing a 914 behind it.
Midtowner
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Feb 2 2008, 06:44 PM) *

I'm happy for the fortunes of Porsche, but (and am sorry to those I offend here) it's a TRUCK! A very expensive truck. It ain't a Porsche - it's a truck!

Pat

I agree. It's a truck and a butt ugly one at that! I mean, why limit the grill vents to just the bumper and instead go all the way and "grill out" the hood and quarter panels too? barf.gif
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Feb 2 2008, 06:44 PM) *

Pat

Pat i dont agree. its not even a truck. its an suv. WTF.gif. how did Porsche go from making sports cars to making suvs. and ive heard they have lots of problems? any know if this is true. chime in.
steven.
boxstr
Go faster for a lot less...SRT8
jd74914
QUOTE(749142 @ Feb 3 2008, 12:04 AM) *

Pat i dont agree. its not even a truck. its an suv. WTF.gif. how did Porsche go from making sports cars to making suvs. and ive heard they have lots of problems? any know if this is true. chime in.
steven.

SUV's have extremely high proft margins. Any smart company that can possibly sell an SUV has one for this reason and this reason alone. While I think the Cayenne is ugly and would never buy one, I can understand why Porsche started production. They proved that the market would support their interpretation of an SUV, and now are reaping its profits. All of this money can be put towards other things-- notice, Cayenne comes out, so does RS Spyder and the Cayman.

There is a reason Porsche is one of the most profitable automakers in the world despite its relatively small size. smile.gif
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Feb 2 2008, 09:40 PM) *

steven.

SUV's have extremely high proft margins. Any smart company that can possibly sell an SUV has one for this reason and this reason alone. While I think the Cayenne is ugly and would never buy one, I can understand why Porsche started production. They proved that the market would support their interpretation of an SUV, and now are reaping its profits. All of this money can be put towards other things-- notice, Cayenne comes out, so does RS Spyder and the Cayman.

There is a reason Porsche is one of the most profitable automakers in the world despite its relatively small size. smile.gif

true jd. i hope most the cayenne profits go mostly to help further their sports cars. but they didnt really need the extra money. its probably just now starting to pay for itself after they had to design prototype it and tool up for it. i mean its a big step becuz they had never done and suv b4. besides they had to tool up for the v8s they used.
Rick_Eberle
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Feb 3 2008, 01:49 PM) *

I'm sorry, but the 914 should be driven, not towed behind a station wagon...
GeorgeRud
You folks are missing the basic question, will a turbo Cayanne engine fit in a 914 engine compartment? The ultimate v8 conversion, surpassing even the 928 conversion, and staying all Porsche (for those that care)!

If you need a SUV, it's a nice ride, but so is the VW Tourag. Even here in Illinois with a snowy winter, I've yet to get stuck in my Honda CRV, so I don't know how much anyone needs an SUV unless you are towing.
Marv's3.6six
jd74914: While I think the Cayenne is ugly and would never buy one

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, IMO the Cayenne Twin Turbo does not have a bad line on it. The non turbo front fascia is but ugly but the CTT is beautious.

boxstr: Go faster for a lot less...SRT8

Maybe so.......... in a straight line, the Cayenne with the air suspension is very very surprising off road.

iamchappy: It's a truck that handles and is fast, big differance. A Ford f 150 is a truck!

It definetly handles well, my prior daily driver was an f150 lightning, that thing was noisy and crude plus it was downright scary in the twistys. The Cayenne driven on the same roads is completely unnerved and planted, it begs give me more.

Bottom line an extremely capable vehicle, with the added benefit of having the thrust of Thors Hammer under your right foot.
iamchappy
QUOTE(Rick_Eberle @ Feb 3 2008, 03:15 AM) *

QUOTE(iamchappy @ Feb 3 2008, 01:49 PM) *

I'm sorry, but the 914 should be driven, not towed behind a station wagon...

Sorry, but thats the way it's going to be if i every get out to the WCC. I will drive the
914 when it gets there.
richardmosselman
Had one as a loaner while the Audi was in for service. Liked it...but felt like a bit of a 'poser'. Not such a bad thing, could make believe that i could actually afford one! Prefer the Toureg in a Desert Sand kind of colour; I think the overall design is more cohesive. It's also more true to the VW-Porsche lineage of the 914! smile.gif R
Brando
The Turbo version would be a beast for a conversion. Finding a suitable trans would be the problem (no, I don't want a 4-speed 930 box).
markwemple
I've never liked the Cayenne or the concept of Porsche building a tall wagon. Sorry no truck here and I laugh when people discuss its off-road abilities. Outside of the factory, do you think the owners will do more than drive on grass?

An FJ-40 is an off-raod vehicle, a Series LR is an off-raod vehicle, heck the most often used new vehicle to go off-roading is an LR3.

The other BS arguement is its on-road ability. If you want on-road ability, buy a car!

It doesn't have impressive towing ability, not much for interior volume, isn't reliable, and is incredibly UGLY!

To heck with short term profit, stick with your purist stuff.

Wait, that went with the 911 autobox!

Thank god for Lotus or the sprts car world would be dead.

Now back to my real p-cars!
biosurfer1
wow, mark, why don't you tell us how you really feel!

Funny side note, if Porsche keeps producing the Cayenne at the rate they are (roughly 40,000/year) it will take 538.23 years to pass the Beetle as the most produced car ever (21,529,464)

smile.gif
iamchappy
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I like them, and am looking forward to owning one in the near future.
jaminM3
Don't hate...

You have to compare apples to apples. I bought a Cayenne instead of a four runner or explorer not a Cayman or 911. sometimes you need 4 doors and all wheel drive. If Porsche had the Panamera out with all-wheel drive, I may have bought one after 2 or 3 years of depreciation. Ours is officially my wife's car and she wanted that type of car.

It does handle very well and I don't have the turbo, but it is plenty fast.

Oh yeah, I have also driven offroad with it just fine, jut needs better tires for that.
johannes
QUOTE(749142 @ Feb 2 2008, 10:53 PM) *

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Feb 2 2008, 09:40 PM) *

steven.

true jd. i hope most the cayenne profits go mostly to help further their sports cars. but they didnt really need the extra money. its probably just now starting to pay for itself after they had to design prototype it and tool up for it. i mean its a big step becuz they had never done and suv b4. besides they had to tool up for the v8s they used.

Was develloped with Volkswagen who has the same model in his program... Investments are already payed for a very long time. Cayenne is a very big profit machine...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.